Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Headlight blackout mod vs tinting headlights

Old 12-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
First time Taco
xguntherc is just really nicexguntherc is just really nicexguntherc is just really nicexguntherc is just really nice

Name: Cory
xguntherc's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow Headlight blackout mod vs tinting headlights

Hey guys, I've seen the blackout headlight mod thread and it looks awesome, even if I'm worried about tossing my lights in the oven. haha

I'm considering just getting the vinyl stuff or tint and adding a slight tint to my headlights so they are a bit darker instead of opening them up and spray painting the insides. I've seen completely blacked out headlights, and I don't want to do that. I just want them smokey so they don't contrast my black truck so much.

edit: I was thinking of getting the dark smoke tint, pre-cut, from this site.
http://www.rvinyl.com/2011-Toyota-Ta...l#.UNX7k7byB0k
they also offer them for much cheaper if they aren't pre-cut.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 12-23-2012, 04:17 AM   #2
Ronn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ron
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
With tinted headlights you will lose light output, black headlight mod you will not. You can even buy aftermarket lights with the black headlight mod done. It's much cheaper to do it yourself though.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
First time Taco
xguntherc is just really nicexguntherc is just really nicexguntherc is just really nicexguntherc is just really nice

Yea I sorta like the stock headlights. I don't want to buy aftermarket unless they are OEM but black inside, then that's an idea.

I've heard you'll lose a little light output. The darker smoke tint for headlights you'll lose about 32% according to the site. So you'll still output 68% of the light. Then it's like 80% if I get the lighter smoke tint.

hmmm
Old 12-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
I would never tint lights. There is too much risk. Just think of the possible consequences if you are involved in an accident at night and someone is killed. I would suggest you just paint the inside and be done with it. Don't paint the reflector of course.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Losing any light output at all seems counter productive. Not sure why anyone would want to see 32% less. I'd do the BHLM myself. Looks better than tinting IMO anyway.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Headlights are primarily for light output, secondarily if you want them to look good to you that is cool. Don't mix priorities. Don't tint lights. ever.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
First time Taco

thanks for the suggestions guys. Plus I'd hate to get pulled over or a ticket for something as lame as that, even though most cops are pretty casual on that.

I might try the mod inside then, just seems like soo much work.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xguntherc View Post
thanks for the suggestions guys. Plus I'd hate to get pulled over or a ticket for something as lame as that, even though most cops are pretty casual on that.

I might try the mod inside then, just seems like soo much work.
Is there any mod here that doesn't require work? We're truck owners not lazy ass civic owners. You want it done right you're gonna have to put some work into it. If you want to get pulled over and have a cop write a ticket for your shitty tinted headlights then go ahead but as said before it isn't recommended whatsoever
Old 12-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
OEM style. Depo is a good manufacturer, and affordable.
http://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Tacoma-...coma+headlight

Or.... Projectors!

Old 12-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I know it seems like a lot of work and risky but really that mod is not hard. As long as you're cautious, which it sounds like you will be, you won't let your headlights melt if you follow one of the many walkthroughs. Bottom line is, you won't regret opening yours up and doing it right, and you will regret tinting them. Especially when you get pulled over since its illegal.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #12
dlooney has a spectacular aura aboutdlooney has a spectacular aura about

Name: Dennis
dlooney's Tacoma Gallery
Do yourself and everyone around you a favor and do the bhlm.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #13
First time Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biscuits View Post
Is there any mod here that doesn't require work? We're truck owners not lazy ass civic owners. You want it done right you're gonna have to put some work into it. If you want to get pulled over and have a cop write a ticket for your shitty tinted headlights then go ahead but as said before it isn't recommended whatsoever
haha well put, I'm just being a bitch and I'm certainly no "civic" owner...

ok ok boys. I'll do the mod myself. probably sometime after CES in January.. I'll be busy til then.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #14
Ronn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ron
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
Rich was it difficult to find a paint match when you painted your reflectors? Or did you give the whole unit a quick scuff and spray it. Also is that clear DTRL/signal lense the one that came with the headlight assembly from depo? The picture on amazon looks like it's tinted amber like some oem lenses.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
I used RustOleum "all surface", which is the same as Krylon Fusion, in satin black (not flat).
I just wiped them down with lacquer thinner and gave them 3 or 4 moderately wet coats.

The front part matches the Depo satin, but I did repaint. I stuck the "BIXENON" stickers on and didn't care for the look of them being chrome.
Tried to peel them off and they were NOT coming off, so I shot the satin over them so now they are just raised letters.

I went back and forth on the turn signal lenses. They have the same light yellow look of the factory lenses... doesn't show in the picture, not sure why. I wanted to darken them with the Krylon stained glass paint, but after checking 2 JoAnn's, 2 Michaels, and a Hobby Lobby, I couldn't find it, so then I went back and forth on whether to leave them out or use them.

I briefly considered removing them and using the chrome/amber turn signal lamps, but I was also considering going LED, so I left the lenses in.