1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headlight blackout mod vs tinting headlights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by xguntherc, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Dec 22, 2012 at 10:11 AM
    xguntherc

xguntherc [OP] Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Icon Stage 5, Nexen Roadian MTX, Fuel KB43 Block wheels, Baja Design XL 80s, Baja Squad Pro WC fogs, TacoVinyl grill, "dudebro" lights, Prinsu rack, trail rash pinstripes, BAMF hybrid bumper, sliders, and LCA skids, and a few other things I can't think of.
    Hey guys, I've seen the blackout headlight mod thread and it looks awesome, even if I'm worried about tossing my lights in the oven. haha

I'm considering just getting the vinyl stuff or tint and adding a slight tint to my headlights so they are a bit darker instead of opening them up and spray painting the insides. I've seen completely blacked out headlights, and I don't want to do that. I just want them smokey so they don't contrast my black truck so much.

edit: I was thinking of getting the dark smoke tint, pre-cut, from this site.
    http://www.rvinyl.com/2011-Toyota-Tacoma-Double-Cab-Custom-Headlight-Tint.html#.UNX7k7byB0k
    they also offer them for much cheaper if they aren't pre-cut.

Thoughts? Thanks!

2. Dec 23, 2012 at 4:17 AM
    Ronn

Ronn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Northern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Westin bullbar, KC slimlites, Mini D2S headlight retrofit, 5100 front @ 1.75 and 5100 rear, Wheelers HD leaf pack
    With tinted headlights you will lose light output, black headlight mod you will not. You can even buy aftermarket lights with the black headlight mod done. It's much cheaper to do it yourself though.

3. Dec 23, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc [OP] Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    Icon Stage 5, Nexen Roadian MTX, Fuel KB43 Block wheels, Baja Design XL 80s, Baja Squad Pro WC fogs, TacoVinyl grill, "dudebro" lights, Prinsu rack, trail rash pinstripes, BAMF hybrid bumper, sliders, and LCA skids, and a few other things I can't think of.
    Yea I sorta like the stock headlights. I don't want to buy aftermarket unless they are OEM but black inside, then that's an idea.

I've heard you'll lose a little light output. The darker smoke tint for headlights you'll lose about 32% according to the site. So you'll still output 68% of the light. Then it's like 80% if I get the lighter smoke tint.

hmmm

4. Dec 23, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I would never tint lights. There is too much risk. Just think of the possible consequences if you are involved in an accident at night and someone is killed. I would suggest you just paint the inside and be done with it. Don't paint the reflector of course.

5. Dec 23, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Losing any light output at all seems counter productive. Not sure why anyone would want to see 32% less. I'd do the BHLM myself. Looks better than tinting IMO anyway.

6. Dec 23, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Headlights are primarily for light output, secondarily if you want them to look good to you that is cool. Don't mix priorities. Don't tint lights. ever.

7. Dec 23, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    goufcustom

goufcustom 7.62x63mm

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    I would never tint headlights, ever! Or taillight a for that matter. Not worth the loss in light output, it would be a pain to open them up, but I would leave them alone before tinting them.

8. Dec 23, 2012 at 3:17 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc [OP] Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    thanks for the suggestions guys. Plus I'd hate to get pulled over or a ticket for something as lame as that, even though most cops are pretty casual on that.

I might try the mod inside then, just seems like soo much work.

9. Dec 23, 2012 at 3:48 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    Is there any mod here that doesn't require work? We're truck owners not lazy ass civic owners. You want it done right you're gonna have to put some work into it. If you want to get pulled over and have a cop write a ticket for your shitty tinted headlights then go ahead but as said before it isn't recommended whatsoever

10. Dec 23, 2012 at 4:14 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
  11. Dec 23, 2012 at 4:23 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    I know it seems like a lot of work and risky but really that mod is not hard. As long as you're cautious, which it sounds like you will be, you won't let your headlights melt if you follow one of the many walkthroughs. Bottom line is, you won't regret opening yours up and doing it right, and you will regret tinting them. Especially when you get pulled over since its illegal.

12. Dec 23, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    dlooney

dlooney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Wilmington NC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport PreRunner
    Satoshi w/ hella 500s mounted behind, 20% tint, 6K HID retro headlights, 4300k HID fog lights, DTRLs, plastidipped front valence, cb mount
    Do yourself and everyone around you a favor and do the bhlm.

13. Dec 23, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    xguntherc

xguntherc [OP] Taco Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    East Dallas
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Off Road - Black
    haha well put, I'm just being a bitch and I'm certainly no "civic" owner...

ok ok boys. I'll do the mod myself. probably sometime after CES in January.. I'll be busy til then.

14. Dec 24, 2012 at 9:54 AM
    Ronn

Ronn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Northern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Westin bullbar, KC slimlites, Mini D2S headlight retrofit, 5100 front @ 1.75 and 5100 rear, Wheelers HD leaf pack
    Rich was it difficult to find a paint match when you painted your reflectors? Or did you give the whole unit a quick scuff and spray it. Also is that clear DTRL/signal lense the one that came with the headlight assembly from depo? The picture on Amazon looks like it's tinted amber like some oem lenses.

15. Dec 24, 2012 at 3:03 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I used RustOleum "all surface", which is the same as Krylon Fusion, in satin black (not flat).
    I just wiped them down with lacquer thinner and gave them 3 or 4 moderately wet coats.

The front part matches the Depo satin, but I did repaint. I stuck the "BIXENON" stickers on and didn't care for the look of them being chrome.
    Tried to peel them off and they were NOT coming off, so I shot the satin over them so now they are just raised letters.

I went back and forth on the turn signal lenses. They have the same light yellow look of the factory lenses... doesn't show in the picture, not sure why. I wanted to darken them with the Krylon stained glass paint, but after checking 2 JoAnn's, 2 Michaels, and a Hobby Lobby, I couldn't find it, so then I went back and forth on whether to leave them out or use them.

I briefly considered removing them and using the chrome/amber turn signal lamps, but I was also considering going LED, so I left the lenses in.

16. Sep 9, 2019 at 5:22 AM
    rocklobster2008

rocklobster2008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayson
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2008 Red Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Brute Force Fab front bumper Dobinsons Snorkel 35" Nittos Bilstein 5100s ICON leaf springs RSI SmartCap Bed Replacement Diode Dynamics lighting Custom built morimoto headlights RCI full skid

Products Discussed in

To Top