Notices

offroad lights

Old 12-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
rookie
ryan c is on a distinguished road

Name: ryan
ryan c's Tacoma Gallery
offroad lights

Hey everyone, Im looking for a light(s) for behind my grill. I want them bright as ill only be using them for offroading. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks for the help!
Old 12-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
The Ayatollah of Asshollah
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Hellas 500's or 700's, PIAA's (kinda over priced), Lighforce 140' or 170's (da bomb), start by looking at those lights. Two 55w are not all that impressive for off road use, four 55w are better, four 130w's are much better. HID's are all the rage these days but can get pricey. BAMF lightbars (click link below), is pretty much the be all end all of lightbars for your truck.
If you are good with auto wiring you can save yourself a lot of jack by doint the work yourself.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/bay...light-bar.html

Old 12-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
If you go with halogens, 130w are not common, i bought the bulbs from KC, installed them in 55w lights and beefed up the wiring in the process, if you have any questions, post or PM me
Old 12-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on BAMF lightbar and LIGHTFORCE
Old 12-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
'Murrica!
AK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
AK Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Lightforce 170's but converted to 55W HID.. those bad boys put out some serious light
Old 12-24-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm pretty sure they offer the whole line up, more or less, from Lightforce in Halogen and 35 or 55w HID . . .
Old 12-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
'Murrica!
AK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah they do.. but they are mucho $$$$. Way more than a set of halogens and an HID kit.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
I had to clear obstructions from my rad, such as my horns and such wiring. I didn't have enough airflow and had an issue with engine heat. Make sure you don't clog up the grill too bad.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #10
rookie

ryan c's Tacoma Gallery
good point spoonman. ill probably go with 2 lights. that shouldn't clog too much air flow right?
Old 12-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #11
'Murrica!

AK Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I think you should be fine with just two lights. Mine are on my bumper so im unfamiliar with how behind the grill lights affect airflow.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #12

You'll be fine with just two. You don't live in Mexico or anyplace super warm do ya? ha
Old 12-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #13
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hey you can overheat with low ambient temps too.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #14
JustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
Lightforce will not fit behind a Satoshi style grill but I think they should fit behind a regular grillcraft.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #15

Home does thin lip satoshi grills and I'm sure one could make one pretty flush.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #16
rookie

ryan c's Tacoma Gallery
yah mines a grillcraft? billet style so there's quite a bit of room behind there.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:10 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan c View Post
yah mines a grillcraft? billet style so there's quite a bit of room behind there.
Sweet, so is mine, yeah you'll be fine, the light bar has slots and you can move the lights back.
Second thing, the horn will have to move (easy to do), splice a longer wire in there and mount them somewhere else. Next up, if you have the tow package with the tranny cooler, if you plan to stuff four lights in there (and really, that is the ONLY way to fly ), you may need to scoot it back a bit. Easy to do with some longer bolts and hardware, didn't have to disconnect it at all. Also to cooling, I have four lights and live in a hot climate, i personally have had no problems whatsoever with cooling.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #18
BroBraBlahBlah

I moved my horns between the rad and battery with no splicing
Old 01-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #19
rookie

ryan c's Tacoma Gallery
Im sure its on here somewhere but can you convert any light into hid? Im looking into these and have a good deal on them. I figure ill buy them and if there not bright enough then ill try the conversion

7" 55W Off-Road Lamp Kit - $54.99

7-inch 55 Watt 4100K Xenon White Halogen Off-Road Lamps with Preinstalled Bulbs.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #20
beaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: scott
beaver_scott's Tacoma Gallery
you gotta go with the bamf behind the grill light bar and the grill craft grill insert. you won't be disappointed. ive got 4 hella 500ff lights. the light output compared to my hid retrofit headlights kinda sucks but without the hid headlights they work really well. I would recommend a 130w kc offroad light in the pencil beam.