1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hella 500 Black Magic wiring kicking my A$$...

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by trdchic, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Dec 25, 2012 at 4:03 PM
    trdchic

trdchic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Erie CO
    Vehicle:
    07, TRD Sport, 4x4, SR5, V6, Access Cab
    I am TRYING to install these damn lights and cannot get it to work. Tested the lights by bypassing everything and they turned on so that's promising. Blew one of the fuses but figured that out so replaced it...yay. Right now trying to determine if the switch is bad. It looks like it should light up but even attached directly to the battery it doesn't... should it?

I am also trying to avoid messing with the headlights so I bypass them and connect directly to the battery.

Blue from light is grounded to the frame. Black from light to relay. Red from relay to positive side of battery. Blue from relay grounded to the frame. Yellow from relay to center of switch (there are 3 spots). The other two spots on the switch are grounded to the frame (under the steering column) this is attached to the "line" side (the on position). The other end (the 0 ) has a green going directly to the positive battery terminal (bypassing the headlight).

I am at a loss here...please help!:mad::confused:

Look at the attached PDF of the instructions... what is the white box between the relay and the battery in the picture???

Attached Files:

2. Dec 25, 2012 at 4:08 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    [​IMG]

The white box is a fuse I believe.

Run the grounds off the lights to a ground, splice the positive together and run them to the relay. Run power to the relay, run ground to the relay. Run a switch to the relay and then a 12v power source to the switch.

3. Dec 25, 2012 at 4:24 PM
    trdchic

Member:
    Erie CO
    Vehicle:
    Interesting...did you confuse the 85 ground and the 86 to the switch? On the instructions from Hella they are opposite to wha you show... does it matter? How can I test the fuses and switch to see if wither of them is my problem?

4. Dec 25, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Right now, you have a short to ground. The only way to blow a fuse is to short your circuit out. Trace your wiring, clearly you have something backwards. Even if the switch is bad, as long as its wired correctly, you won't blow a fuse.

5. Jan 2, 2013 at 10:44 AM
    trdchic

Member:
    Erie CO
    Vehicle:
    They work!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for the help

LIGHTS.jpg

6. Jan 7, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    xgalvanxgx

xgalvanxgx seymour butts

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerardo
    OC (Lake Forest) California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road BlackSandPearl 07 PreRunner
    DTF Race Kit with 2.5 x 10 Kings, DMZ SUA rear with 16" triple bypass Kings, King bumpstops front and rear, 17" KMC RG1 powdered in Matte Bronze with black ring with 37" BFG KO2s, front and rear DTF bumpers, front Fiberwerx glass and Mcneil trophy bedsides, K&N 77 Series Intake, Magnaflow, Pioneer touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub with box and amp. Dyanamat walls, Andres' devil horn emblem, 50" D4 curved LED bar, rear chase light rack (brake, ambers, white lights) Engine brace, deleted inner wheel wells for max up travel. Cab roll rage built into bedcage.
    ello! i have 4 Hella Rallye 4000s and my concern is are these babies too powerful to run on my battery? i got a good deal on them so i took them.

Products Discussed in

To Top