Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Hella 500 Black Magic wiring kicking my A$$...

Old 12-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
trdchic is on a distinguished road
Name: Wouldn't you like to know!
trdchic's Tacoma Gallery
Question Hella 500 Black Magic wiring kicking my A$$...

I am TRYING to install these damn lights and cannot get it to work. Tested the lights by bypassing everything and they turned on so that's promising. Blew one of the fuses but figured that out so replaced it...yay. Right now trying to determine if the switch is bad. It looks like it should light up but even attached directly to the battery it doesn't... should it?

I am also trying to avoid messing with the headlights so I bypass them and connect directly to the battery.

Blue from light is grounded to the frame. Black from light to relay. Red from relay to positive side of battery. Blue from relay grounded to the frame. Yellow from relay to center of switch (there are 3 spots). The other two spots on the switch are grounded to the frame (under the steering column) this is attached to the "line" side (the on position). The other end (the 0 ) has a green going directly to the positive battery terminal (bypassing the headlight).

I am at a loss here...please help!

Look at the attached PDF of the instructions... what is the white box between the relay and the battery in the picture???
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2-wire_auxiliary_lamp_mounting_instructions.pdf (2.54 MB, 93 views)
Old 12-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery

The white box is a fuse I believe.

Run the grounds off the lights to a ground, splice the positive together and run them to the relay. Run power to the relay, run ground to the relay. Run a switch to the relay and then a 12v power source to the switch.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
trdchic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post

The white box is a fuse I believe.

Run the grounds off the lights to a ground, splice the positive together and run them to the relay. Run power to the relay, run ground to the relay. Run a switch to the relay and then a 12v power source to the switch.
Interesting...did you confuse the 85 ground and the 86 to the switch? On the instructions from Hella they are opposite to wha you show... does it matter? How can I test the fuses and switch to see if wither of them is my problem?
Old 12-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Right now, you have a short to ground. The only way to blow a fuse is to short your circuit out. Trace your wiring, clearly you have something backwards. Even if the switch is bad, as long as its wired correctly, you won't blow a fuse.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
trdchic's Tacoma Gallery
They work!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for the help
Attached Thumbnails
Hella 500 Black Magic wiring kicking my A$$...-lights.jpg  
Old 01-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
seymour butts
xgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gerardo
xgalvanxgx's Tacoma Gallery
ello! i have 4 Hella Rallye 4000s and my concern is are these babies too powerful to run on my battery? i got a good deal on them so i took them.