Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Under Hood Lights

Old 12-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
claymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant future

Name: Clay
claymore's Tacoma Gallery
Under Hood Lights

I have been wanting some under hood lights for a while now. It is dark under there, even in the day light. I have looked at some LED's like these,http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ml#post1826234, but they just seem vulnerable. I liked the light they put out and the low amp draw, but I didnt like adhesive holding them on in a hot engine compartment. I also worried about them when pressure washing the engine bay. I bought some cheap fog lights from Pep Boys for $24. They just seem a little more sturdy.

I found a spot to drill into the underside of the hood. Very Carefully!

I attached the mounting bracket with rivots and used a washer to be sure

Light mounted and carefully checked to make sure there is no contact when the hood is closed. I also got it away from the radiator to try to help with it getting too hot.

The hardest part as mentioned by DWreck in his post is feeding the wires up through to hood. Patience and tie wire are the keys. I made a little hook out of the wire and it helped feed it in. I installed a switch and wired it up with a relay. It is like bright sunshine under there at night!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
nice!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice indeed.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
claymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengland25 View Post
Well done! Idk if you stated it or not, simply because the tapatalk app doesn't show text sometimes, but how'd you wire in a switch??
I just used a cheap LED switch mounted by my aux fuse block. I figured I could just turn it on when I need it. I might put a normally closed switch on the ground for a safety just in case I forget to turn it off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
nice!
Thanks Chris
Old 03-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
FOX HOUND
Aeon is on a distinguished road

Aeon's Tacoma Gallery
nice job!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
You can always use a mercury switch, or magnetic reed relay.

Problem with the magnetic switch is if the magnet gets dislodged, they come on.
Mercury switch is how Detroit did it in Buick/Olds/Caddy/Lincoln/Chrysler for decades.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
AnTiFuBaR has much to be proud ofAnTiFuBaR has much to be proud ofAnTiFuBaR has much to be proud ofAnTiFuBaR has much to be proud ofAnTiFuBaR has much to be proud ofAnTiFuBaR has much to be proud ofAnTiFuBaR has much to be proud ofAnTiFuBaR has much to be proud of

AnTiFuBaR's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! Great idea.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
You can always use a mercury switch, or magnetic reed relay.

Problem with the magnetic switch is if the magnet gets dislodged, they come on.
Mercury switch is how Detroit did it in Buick/Olds/Caddy/Lincoln/Chrysler for decades.

How does this work? Interupt the ground? I have thought of adding this, so I dont forget to turn them off.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Mercury switch is simply a bulb containing 2 contacts and a "ball" of mercury.
Might be hard to find because of enviro regs, but they used to be in every thermostat in every house.
The mercury rolls back and forth in a glass tube and joins the contacts when it reaches the end. It's just a switch. It can switch either the hot or the ground.
Install it to the hood securely, slightly "nose down" and when the hood is opened the lights will come on.

Detroit used them to switch 20w lamps, so the pair of LEDs won't be a problem.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #14
anarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanarion55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
anarion55's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great, but I have to wonder what you're doing in the engine bay, in the dark....
Old 03-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #17
lslownslow is on a distinguished road
Name: jacob
lslownslow's Tacoma Gallery
wow thats super bright
Old 03-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #18
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Mercury switch is simply a bulb containing 2 contacts and a "ball" of mercury.
Might be hard to find because of enviro regs, but they used to be in every thermostat in every house.
The mercury rolls back and forth in a glass tube and joins the contacts when it reaches the end. It's just a switch. It can switch either the hot or the ground.
Install it to the hood securely, slightly "nose down" and when the hood is opened the lights will come on.

Detroit used them to switch 20w lamps, so the pair of LEDs won't be a problem.
Nah, they are super cheap and all over ebay.
sealed type:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEATHERPROOF...item19d2d2e404
Open:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-Mercur...item3a637e64ee

I'd just use a normal switch tho. I can imagine the hood lights flashing on and off while you are wheeling
Old 03-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #19
ckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarion55 View Post
Looks great, but I have to wonder what you're doing in the engine bay, in the dark....
Checking oil, jump starting someone, adding windshield washer fluid, hooking up the winch control, etc.