Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

What to do What to do...

Old 12-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
International Jewel Thief
Drummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Michael
Drummer0247's Tacoma Gallery
What to do What to do...

I know this has been asked before, believe me i have searched the internet to its end! Here is my predicament, just bought my n-fab light bar and i am ready to buy some lights. here is a lil blurb about my situation. My family and i camp alot, and i off road occasionally, nothing hardcore but like to take the Taco to its natural environment. I really want HID's but i fear that is just the part of me that wants the best of the best, but does not really need it. I am torn between a pair of Hella black magic 500's coupled with the Black magic 1000's, or two hella 4000's or two lightforce 170's. So to all those with experience with these lights do i go with the four Black magic's or just get two lights. Just looking for some good advice to push me over the edge, been researching for like 4 days now and i am driving the wife nuts!!! Thanks for the help
Old 12-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
go with what ever is cheap. not like youre using them all the time, or even half the time...
Old 12-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
Drummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to beholdDrummer0247 is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
thats a good point, sounds like you have been talking to my wife....
Old 12-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer0247 View Post
thats a good point, sounds like you have been talking to my wife....
haha there are much better things for your truck to waste money on instead of lights. trust me!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #5

Air Force:
I like your style....
Old 12-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #7

Air Force:
mainly just a driving light, would love some pencils but would have no real use for them, these are mainly for light offroading, and for the occasional, my wife and i left for our camping trip at 6pm and have to setup the site in the pitch dark situation.....
Old 12-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #8
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Well you can use any of them as driving lights. Just turn them off like brights.

I would recommend the hella 500ffs. Especially if you slap HIDs in them. Damn they work great.

The 4000s are the same story.

I'd skip the 1000s as they don't really pose a big difference over a 700.

Light force 170s tho are epic good lights. I LOVE my light force 240s. They are a solid light and work amazing. They are very expensive tho.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #9

Air Force:
ya thats the pickle i am in, do i go with 4 hella 500ff or spend more and get 2 lightforce 170's......
Old 12-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #11
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
I bought 500's and some bigger Baja Designs, replaced the 55w bulbs with KC 130 watters i got online. I redid all the wiring myself to heavier wire and a relay for each pair, wired it all to a switch right below the center console armrest. 520 watts halogen is plenty, you never going to outrun those and all told, i spent about 200 bucks including the lightbar. Bought the lights from other members here and just modded them to my liking.
for my money, 55w's are kinda weak IMO. this setup was cheaper than one pair of 170's.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:24 AM   #12
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
If you can afford to HID all 4..get the hellas.
well duh! Of course if you want the brightest lights possible but it's serious $$$$
Old 12-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #13
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
I bought 500's and some bigger Baja Designs, replaced the 55w bulbs with KC 130 watters i got online. I redid all the wiring myself to heavier wire and a relay for each pair, wired it all to a switch right below the center console armrest. 520 watts halogen is plenty, you never going to outrun those and all told, i spent about 200 bucks including the lightbar. Bought the lights from other members here and just modded them to my liking.
for my money, 55w's are kinda weak IMO. this setup was cheaper than one pair of 170's.
That is also a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
well duh! Of course if you want the brightest lights possible but it's serious $$$$
not really..i bough all 4 of my 500ffs with 55w HIDs off here for 100 bucks..
Old 12-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #14

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
If you can afford to HID all 4..get the hellas.
eventually down the road HID's are in the cards.. but as of current my budget of 400-500 dollars does not really cover it....prolly will end up going with 4 500ff or 700ff, or possibly two 4000's...not sure yet, my buddy is peer pressuring me to say f it and just get the lightforces, but having a two week old newborn and a thrifty wife is putting a damper on my budget!
Old 12-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #15
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer0247 View Post
eventually down the road HID's are in the cards.. but as of current my budget of 400-500 dollars does not really cover it....prolly will end up going with 4 500ff or 700ff, or possibly two 4000's...not sure yet, my buddy is peer pressuring me to say f it and just get the lightforces, but having a two week old newborn and a thrifty wife is putting a damper on my budget!
Well post up in the FS section man! I did and like i said..got all 4 of my hella HIDs for 100 bucks.

You can snag Hellas in there all the time stock or HIDed. plus you can do what the guy earlier said and put in the KC bulbs.

But..the LF lights are sick. might as well just save for some 240s tho..
Old 12-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #17
WTF
1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Look for some used kragen HID's! Good price and work great.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #18
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
I had 4 500ffs. They have good light output but they are plastic and you can't take them apart, so they're kind of a pain if you ever get any moisture or bugs (i got both at one point or another) inside of them. I just replaced them with ProComp Explorers. All metal construction, nice lens with good diffusion, way more light output, and plus it has the metal flex conduit rather than just bare wires so I was able to run the wiring through my lightbar as opposed to having it dangling from under the bumper.

also see sig pic.

I also should mention that other than the shape of the back of the housing they are essentially the same thing as the KC Hilights but with more of a flood-type diffusion
Old 12-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #19

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTacos View Post
Since you have a two week old, I'd skip the lights and save for diapers and formula. Unless that $500 is expendable...then is suggest an led light bar. 20" spot and a couple smaller floods.
my wife and i (well more like my wife) are doing cloth diapers so we are saving tons of money, kind of a pain in the ass but it works... as far as formula he is and will be on the tit for awhile!
Old 12-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #20

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
I had 4 500ffs. They have good light output but they are plastic and you can't take them apart, so they're kind of a pain if you ever get any moisture or bugs (i got both at one point or another) inside of them. I just replaced them with ProComp Explorers. All metal construction, nice lens with good diffusion, way more light output, and plus it has the metal flex conduit rather than just bare wires so I was able to run the wiring through my lightbar as opposed to having it dangling from under the bumper.

also see sig pic.

I also should mention that other than the shape of the back of the housing they are essentially the same thing as the KC Hilights but with more of a flood-type diffusion
ya that is part of the reason i am leaning towards the 4000's, love the look of the BM, but as far as durability goes like the fact that they are a metal body, coupled with 100w bulbs def sells it a lil more....we will see def checking the FS section as well....have some X-mas gift cards so i might be buying two of them new....