Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

best lift option for my 1st gen

Old 12-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
jamey is on a distinguished road

Navy: CTR1
jamey's Tacoma Gallery
best lift option for my 1st gen

Ok, before I get flamed with the ol "there's a search button" let me just say that i have literally spent over 9 hours over the past week reading threads to try and figure out what is my best option.

I have an 03 TRD extra cab. Currently I have an ARE camper top and relentless fabrication weld on frame sliders. In the future I plan on getting allpro front and rear tube bumpers and a winch. The bumpers and winch wont happen for at least a year though as I am stationed in Hawaii and the shipping would be insane to get. Toytec lifts are also off the table as I was looking at the ultimate lift kit and shipping is over $400.00.

This truck is my daily driver so I don't want the ride to break my back when i hit a bump or pothole as the roads here on oahu are pretty crappy.

my goals are to run 33 inch tires with as little trimming as possible, still be able to haul a heavy load in the back and have good ride quality.

I know if i set the truck up now to handle all that extra weight i would probably have an insanely stiff ride that I would get tired off pretty quick. I would like a lift that would require as few changed parts as possible down the road to handle the extra weight and that will give me a good ride now.

I am honestly not offroading in Hawaii due to limited places to go but will be using the truck to go offroading once i get back in the mainland.

There is a fourwheel parts store here that I will probably be using to get my parts from (atleast the heavy stuff).

so is there a good lift combination that will allow me to only switch a few parts down the road to keep the 33" tires and handle the extra weight?

also been thinking about just adding 3" above coilover spacers and AAL's in the rear and just waiting until I get bumpers to buy more offroad capable lift kit. Just don't know what would be the best option.

all opinions appreciated.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
jamey is on a distinguished road

Navy: CTR1
jamey's Tacoma Gallery
bah, just realized I posted this is lighting... I thought it said lifting lmao guess i need to get my eyes checked... Please delete I'll repost in the correct area.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
T O Y O T A
mlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of light

Army: E Co, 4-3 ADA BN Executive Officer
Name: Michael
mlittle's Tacoma Gallery
I installed Bilstein 5100s with new coils and an AAL to give my truck some lift. You may be able to get most of the parts at the local shop, so you won't have to get much shipped in.