Notices

Sylvania Silverstar Headlight Bulbs- First Impressions

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
4wdTacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Hunter
4wdTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Sylvania Silverstar Headlight Bulbs- First Impressions

My '01 Tacoma's stock headlights are just terrible- no doubt about it. Don't get me wrong, I think Tacoma's are some of the best and longest lasting trucks on the road, but the lights on mine have always been less than satisfactory. Now, as bad as I would like to install a full HID conversion, using my money for gas is more important, so for the time being, I had to get something cheaper. I decided on Sylvania Silverstars, after hearing multiple accounts of how they were the way to go if you were on a budget. I ordered a pair off ebay for $25 shipped (not the Ultra's, just the standard Silverstars), so I figured that wasn't too bad of a price. After also removing all of the scratches from my lenses using a kit I'd bought a while back, I installed the new bulbs and was immediately impressed. Not only do they look very similar to cars with Xenon bulbs (they are much whiter than the 3100K Sylvanias that were in there previously), they are much brighter too. On low beams, they probably project a good 10-20 feet further and much wider on both sides. On high beams, they project easily 30+ feet further in my opinion, and have a wider angle too. Considering that these only cost me $25 shipped to my front door, and they installed without anything extra in less than 15 minutes, I'd highly recommend these bulbs. By the way, would this lower end HID kit be a good fit for my Tacoma if I'm just looking for the whiter look and slightly brighter lights overall? http://www.vvme.com/hid-headlights/h...conversion-kit
Attached Thumbnails
Sylvania Silverstar Headlight Bulbs- First Impressions-photo-1.jpg   Sylvania Silverstar Headlight Bulbs- First Impressions-photo-2.jpg  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
I'd just stick with reg bulbs, hid conversion done right is not cheap.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post
I'd just stick with reg bulbs, hid conversion done right is not cheap.
Well for now I'm gonna stick with these bulbs, but I'll definitely look more into an HID conversion in the future. This is how I figure it: I'm going to have this truck for at least 6 more years (until I'm done with college). Most people claim that these bulbs only last a year of normal usage. That means that's $30 per year for 6 more years. That's a total of $180, and when you take that into account, it seems worth it to look into an HID conversion because, correct me if I'm wrong, but typically Xenon bulbs last much longer, so there shouldn't be anymore than the initial cost of the conversion if I go the HID route.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I got 2 years out of my Silverstars before one burned out. Same with them in my fogs.

I'd avoid HID kits unless you're going to do an actual retrofit with proper HID projectors.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
I've had them and liked them. Yes, short life. Maybe 12-16 months
Old 01-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSitStill View Post
I've had them and liked them. Yes, short life. Maybe 12-16 months
This is what I've heard, and to me it makes a HID conversion make more sense.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
WTF
1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
DDMtuning
Old 01-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFTRD View Post
DDMtuning
Mind giving me a link to a decent kit from them? Thanks.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
The retrofit source is a much better place and will have everything you need to do projectors and hids. Link: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/
They are more expensive but the quality is there unlike the cheaper kits.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
i bought the silverstar ultras from oreilly for $45 with $10 mail in rebate, love em in my new clear housings
Old 01-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
AKGoldRush is on a distinguished road

Name: Nick
AKGoldRush's Tacoma Gallery
vvme sucks im tired of ordering replacement ballasts and bulbs. there cheap for a reason. im about to just buy what you got or maybe ultras.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:19 PM   #13
Very Nice !
packfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud of

packfan88's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a set for $50 last spring. Passenger side went out about 2 weeks ago. So i bought another set thinking it was a crappy bulb and then the drivers side went out. I would not buy them again.

Like a dumbass ...when i replaced the passenger side i put the package that contained the 2nd bulb (for later use) some place and couldnt find it when the drivers side went out. So i had to buy another one. I think I accidentaly threw it in the garabge when i replaced the passenger one cause i loked everywhere ..... so i actually did buy them again. But not again.... i swear.

Products Discussed in this Thread