Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

1st gen headlight question

Old 02-01-2009, 12:49 AM   #1
hulzenga is on a distinguished road
hulzenga's Tacoma Gallery
1st gen headlight question

I was looking on ebay for aftermarket headlights for my 1999 tacoma 4wd, and i noticed that there are a lot of options tagged "98 99 00 2WD". So I'm wondering, does it matter if its a 2wd or 4wd headlight??? Seems kinda odd for toyota to make two types of headlights for one truck, with the only difference being 2wd or 4wd. Plus is there any one out there that has installed lights behind their grill? on a first gen that is... i've seen a few on here but they are all on the 2nd gens. looks great and would love to do the same.

any help would be appreciated!!
Old 02-01-2009, 06:06 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I never installed lights on mine but I installed horns (Hella Supertones).

If there's room behind the grill and you have a secure mounting location (so the lights don't vibrate) why not? Just do it......
Although, the grill itself....will limit the amount of light that comes through it.
You might think about getting a different grill and make cut-outs for the lights. PLUS - check with your local laws about lights. I know here in PA - you can't have lights closer than 20" apart.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
Yeah, i kinda figured i would need to get a different grill, but i havn't seen any that i like or that i think would work out too well. I might stop by a metal shop that i know of and get something that would work from there and fab it up myself, i don't think that it would be too hard to get done. I'm not too sure about the restrictions in my province, but i've seen a lot of trucks around here with added lights so i don't think it will be a problem. now i guess all i have to do is find something that will go good for a grill.......
Old 02-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I never installed lights on mine but I installed horns (Hella Supertones).

I.
I got the same horns Janster. What do you think of them, loud enough?

hulzenga maybe you can hit a Toyota dealer parts counter when it's not busy and they can tell you if different years and 2wd or 4wd grills are different, make your choice that way.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
I want a 4x4 headlight.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking that 2x4 or 4x4 doesnt really have an issue with aftermarket items.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
I got the same horns Janster. What do you think of them, loud enough?.
Oh yeah! Love'd 'em.
I'd get them again for my 07 - just not high on the priority list.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeysuncle View Post
I'm thinking that 2x4 or 4x4 doesnt really have an issue with aftermarket items.
thats what i was thinking, but wanted to clarify befor i went on with any decisions. thought i would ask if anyone had bought any...or installed any... cheers for the help guys!
Old 02-03-2009, 12:32 AM   #9
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
97-98 4x2/minis had different headlights than the 97-2000 4x4/PreRunners. 2000 was the only year they shared the same headlight fixtures IIRC.