Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HID fog lights - super simple install!

Old 01-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
Licensed Lunatic
iamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
iamsuperbleeder's Tacoma Gallery
Cool HID fog lights - super simple install!

So about a week and a half ago I put some bixenon HID's in my headlights. And while that install isn't that difficult to begin with, the fog lights are even easier. I've seen several step-by-step tutorials on headlight HID installs with photos, but have yet to find a good one for the fog lights on our trucks.

So here's one of my own

For starters, I used, yes, an eBay kit. But I was very selective on what I bought and purchased a kit with a ballast that seems to have some good reviews and even a couple demo videos on YouTube. The Luminis G4 ballast. EXTREMELY small digital ballast. Came in a complete kit with the H10 HID bulbs, in my case, 6000k to match the headlights.

So first off, fog lights before we get started...

The thing that made this install so easy was the discovery of something. I don't know if anyone's every tried this when installing HID's into their fog lights, maybe someone's mentioned if before, or maybe everyone does it and just keeps it a secret But the power plug for the aftermarket HID ballasts are nearly IDENTICAL to an H10 bulb plug.

Factory harness and plug on the top with the orange rubber seal, and the HID kit's "adapter" plug for power on the bottom with the green rubber seal:

The ballast will literally plug right into the factory wiring for the H10 bulb. Even better, the polarity is right, so you don't even need to swap and wires over. It's literally a direct plug-and-play on these trucks, and any vehicle that uses H10 bulbs really (and I'm sure there's others)

When you don't have to fool with that silly adapter section of wire that's typically built into the HID H10 bulb, you can just eliminate it completely and clean up a lot of wire clutter.

The power adapter wires can simply pull out of that rubber grommet:

You're still left with that rubber grommet on the HID's high voltage wires.

But since we're not needing that, just snip it off (being careful not to nick the wires of coarse )

So now we've reduced that cluttered mess of wires and grommets down to just two wires, and eliminated useless plugs that are just another spot for corrosion and connection issues to take place in.

It also makes things much easier if you remove the fog light housings from the bumper. It's by no means necessary, but for the 15 seconds it takes to just pop them out, it makes things a lot easier, at least in my opinion.

Before you go popping the fog light back in though, plug everything in and turn on your fog lights just to make sure everything's working.

Bingo, we have light

Then just feed the wires and ballast up through the fog light mounted hole and pop the fog light back in.

For mounting the ballast, I used some industrial strength velcro and stuck them just underneath the headlights after cleaning off the spot so there will be no "stickage" issues. That's another great thing about these G4 ballast; there just so tiny you can stick them just about anywhere.

There's not a huge wire clutter between the ballast and bulb, so you could probably get away without even putting any zip ties on anything.

I did anyway, lol

Power up one more time, just to make sure everything functions. And giggle at how goofy it looks with an HID in one side and a halogen bulb in the other

Then just do the same process on the other side!

And end up with these useless things left over... Not sure what I'll ever do with them, but I'm sure I'll find some use for them, lol

Old 01-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Jon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Jon850FL's Tacoma Gallery
had pretty much the same kind but yellow, kept blowing fuses. so i took them out.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
No need to femove the housing when I tried them (won them free).........absolutely the worst move I've ever made......h10 have no glare shield, and the fogs scattered horribly.

I used my gf's car as a reference and the glare was insane.....also seen other shielding their eyes.

Horrible horrible idea, and completely illegal in every single state.

Use cautiously.......if u can, look into a projector setup for fogs and any other hids.......the halogen designed reflective housing offers no cutoff shield and everyone pays the price....even if u aim them waaaay down, ur killing ur own distance vision because ur pupils are "shielding" ur eyes by constricting.

Night driving u should avoid most up close lighting when not "crawling".......turn off/way down all in cab lights, etc.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
Licensed Lunatic
iamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

appreciate all the positive feed back...

I decided to make this to maybe help some people out, not to start an argument over HID lights in stock housings

but whatever...
Old 01-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder View Post
appreciate all the positive feed back...

I decided to make this to maybe help some people out, not to start an argument over HID lights in stock housings

but whatever...
This ^^^^^

If you guys cant keep it civil, we may have an issue.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #7
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Good point....nice writeup, carry on
Old 01-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
Jon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Jon850FL's Tacoma Gallery
i wasnt negative.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
Licensed Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon850FL View Post
i wasnt negative.
You're right, you were not.

You mentioned you had pretty much the same kind but kept blowing fuses? Not all HID kits are created equal, especially the ballasts. I selected these specifically because of the good reviews I've read about them. They feel VERY solidly built; I'm extremely impressed considering their cost. Will probably buy two more to use with the headlights instead of the cheaper ones that I currently have on them (got those second hand...)

Consider the stock H10 bulbs, 42w at 12v, they're pulling 3.5 amps each when on. These ballasts are rated to operate at 3.3 amps, there shouldn't be any issues. The only time they go higher is during the ignition phase which lasts all of about 10 seconds and they pull 4.8 amps. Considering the factory fuse is 15 amps, there shouldn't be any blowing fuse problems, unless one of the ballasts are defective and not working within spec or there's a wiring issue somewhere that was overlooked.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #10
Instagram: stormtrooptaco
HighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud of

Name: Hank
HighTQCummins's Tacoma Gallery
good write up, fogs are simple to do, but none the less, there are just some times when you need some good pics to reference. good thread, clean pictures too. Wish i'd have known fogs were that easy to get out when i had my 07. struggled with those for a while when i was swappin bulbs
Old 01-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
What headlights do you have?
Old 01-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #12
ornithology is on a distinguished road

ornithology's Tacoma Gallery
Are those projectors or stock housings? Where on eBay? Considering doing this but with TRS projectors...
Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #14
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you! Do you have better links to buy these parts from?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #15
Licensed Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedTaco View Post
What headlights do you have?
they're factory headlights, blacked out bezel, and a 1ft strip of side emitting LED's along the bottom inside the light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ornithology View Post
Are those projectors or stock housings? Where on eBay? Considering doing this but with TRS projectors...
negative, just stock housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Thank you! Do you have better links to buy these parts from?
just Google or eBay search "Luminis g4 ballast", and the bulbs are just cheapo eBay junk at the moment. About a month ago I started having an issue with the left one not igniting on the first try. happened twice, so I swapped the bulbs, and the problem moved to the right; has done it two more times since. so the cheap bulbs are showing how cheap they really are, lol

HOWEVER, these came in for my headlights today:

now that I'm retrofitting the headlights with TRS projectors, it's got me thinking about putting some Matchbox projectors in the fogs

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=18725