Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

How many people drive around with their headlights\foglights on all the time?

Old 01-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
tacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud of

tacomalimited's Tacoma Gallery
How many people drive around with their headlights\foglights on all the time?

Hi everyone! Just purchased my first Toyota, I love it, but the no auto headlight thing is really dragging me down! It seems like the only way to know for sure your headlights are on at night, is to leave them on all the time!! What is everyone else doing?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
woode87 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Aircraft Mechanic
Name: Eric
woode87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomalimited View Post
Hi everyone! Just purchased my first Toyota, I love it, but the no auto headlight thing is really dragging me down! It seems like the only way to know for sure your headlights are on at night, is to leave them on all the time!! What is everyone else doing?
There is a light on the dash indicating that your headlights are on.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
You know that for most of the history of the automobile, auto headlights didn't exist, right?

Frank
Old 01-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
When it's dark I turn my headlights on. When I'm done driving I turn them off. That's about as automatic as it needs to be.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #5
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
I leave them on all the time. They shut off on their own after I park and I open the door, so I never have to worry about forgetting about them.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:58 AM   #6
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
My headlights only get turned on in the dark and if the headlights are on the fogs are on with them thanks to a wiring change
Old 01-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
Goof Ball
pra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
pra4sno's Tacoma Gallery
I look at the switch when I'm curious if my lights are on or off.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #11
dvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant future
dvdrdclf's Tacoma Gallery
Headlights on (even during day light hours) provides a DRAMATIC increase in visibility.

True.... it helps other drivers, that may not be competent, see you from farther distances.
But also, i have left my lights on for months (ALL TIME) and the bulb has burned out quicker than i'd like.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
The White Knight
Eagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant futureEagledynasty has a brilliant future

Name: AJ
Eagledynasty's Tacoma Gallery
I always use my fog lights night or day. Sometimes I only use my fogs during the night
Old 01-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrdclf View Post
Headlights on (even during day light hours) provides a DRAMATIC increase in visibility.

True.... it helps other drivers, that may not be competent, see you from farther distances.
But also, i have left my lights on for months (ALL TIME) and the bulb has burned out quicker than i'd like.
I'll take every advantage I can to help combat other people's ignorance and lack of skills. Including paying for bulbs more often...
It's all personal choice in the end...
Old 01-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #14
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I'll take every advantage I can to help combat other people's ignorance and lack of skills. Including paying for bulbs more often...
It's all personal choice in the end...
All true.

In the CF, headlights on while driving, regardless of time of day is mandatory for that very reason. I've been doing on my personal vehicles forever.

Frank
Old 01-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #15
jbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbrooks is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: CRNA
jbrooks's Tacoma Gallery
I leave mine on the majority of the time. This is the first vehicle I had that the dash is lit no matter if the lights are on or not. Almost had a head on collision the first month I bought it because I thought the lights were on one night and they weren't.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #16
Walker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Leader, Charlie Company, 4/16th Regiment, 1st Infantry Division. Oh-so-many years ago...
Walker T's Tacoma Gallery
Headlights and foglights on, no matter the time.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #17
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Another vote for headlights on all the time. It was drilled into my head from the first days I learned how to drive. Not the foglamps though, with the exception of my last Honda at night - the lowbeam pattern was poor at best but acceptable with the fogs (legal in my state to do so, thankfully, saved that car from many deer). Actually I should add fogs to my truck one of these days. I miss them at times.

As long as I don't use the special 'hot' bulbs the life isn't too bad. I usually get 2-3 years from a set.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #18
ace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ace96's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomalimited View Post
Turn them on when I need them. I know it's a terrible thought to think you actually have to do something to turn them on. That switch wears me out every time.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #19
poundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedpoundin tacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scot
poundin tacos's Tacoma Gallery
Always on. Headlights and fogs
Old 01-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #20
TolJxn is on a distinguished road
TolJxn's Tacoma Gallery
On ALL the time. Never have to think about it. Also keeps the DRL from melting.