Old 01-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
battlezone is on a distinguished road
battlezone's Tacoma Gallery
Anzo USA LED Truck Bed Lights install

I just purchased these bed lights:
http://www.autoanything.com/hitch-be...A5259A0A0.aspx

and i want to control them with my factory fog light switch:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

I want them to go off when i lock my car, no matter whether the switch is engaged or not. is there a way to accomplish this? or does anyone have any other ideas of a better way to control these lights? I want to be able to turn them on inside the cab and have them turn off like all the other lights in my truck so that i dont run down the battery. I have a 2012 tacoma trd sport v6, just for completeness sake.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
Ronn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ron
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
You could wire them like this... but they would turn off when the key turns off. This is how most people wire aux lighting.
Attached Thumbnails
Anzo USA LED Truck Bed Lights install-wiring-diagram.gif  
Old 01-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
tensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
tensecondchevelle's Tacoma Gallery
Let me know how the lights you ordered turn out, I've been wanting to do this bedlight mod for ages but cant seem to find LED's that I want
Old 01-09-2013, 01:17 AM   #4
yuri258 is on a distinguished road
Name: doriantsai
yuri258's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
You could wire them like this... but they would turn off when the key turns off. This is how most people wire aux lighting.
nice method!
Old 01-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
is there no way to have it go off like the interior lights? if the key comes out i'd kinda like to keep the lights on, because i wouldn't wanna keep my keys in the truck, because that would just leave it vulnerable to theft, you know?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
well yeah but where can i find that relay? because that should already be existing, shouldnt it?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
no. you will add a new relay for your new light circuit you are adding. I would not try to piggy back it onto the existing circuit as that means the stock harness (wires) are now handling a LOT more load thatn they were desinged for (only designed for the overhead lamp, now you are making it supply all those LED pods PLUS the overhead lamp...they are designed with a margin of safety, but that would be pushing it).

Add a new circuit with a new relay so that the only load that is added to the existing cirtuit is the current required to trigger the new relay (very minor). Wouldnt want to risk overloading the wires and burning your truck down would you?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
i agree that wasnt something i wanted to do, i think i used the wrong word..instead of relay i meant to say what fuse am i looking for if i want to turn them on with the interior wouldnt they need to be on the same fuse or no?
Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

No, you will blow fuses if you use the same fuse (unless you ad larger fuse, in which case you run teh risk of burning the truck down again). You will make a complelty seperate circuit (12V supply from somewhere else, aux fuse block etc). the only link between your dome light circuit and your bed lights will be that you use the dome light to trigger the relay you will have in your bed light circuit.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
Ronn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to behold
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
Barlowrs, I understand what you're saying but the interior light stays on for maybe 15 seconds after the door is closed? If you took voltage off of that to power a relay for the bed lights they would turn off when the interior light turns off. It would work if he kept the door open while using the bed lights... not sure if that's what the OP is after though.

EDIT: Or are you talking about using the dome light switch to turn on the bed lights
Old 01-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Barlowrs, I understand what you're saying but the interior light stays on for maybe 15 seconds after the door is closed? If you took voltage off of that to power a relay for the bed lights they would turn off when the interior light turns off. It would work if he kept the door open while using the bed lights... not sure if that's what the OP is after though.

EDIT: Or are you talking about using the dome light switch to turn on the bed lights

Maybe I misunderstood the OP. I thought he meant he wanted them to work with the dome light:

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlezone View Post
is there no way to have it go off like the interior lights?
But reading more closely, maybe that is not what he wants, he wants it LIKE them.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:37 PM   #13
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
To the OP, found this for you shows where to tap into the dome light wire. The lights will be controlled by the dome light switch and bed lights will come on whenever door is opened, or when you hit the unlock button with doors closed. (They will only be on for a short time though) If you have the dome light switch to the position of "ON" you wont be able to shut the lights off by hitting your lock button.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
@Ronn not sure if i am missing something, but i dont see a link to anything..lol
Old 01-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #15
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
whoops thought I hit the paste button... here you go
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...tml#post297835

Only thing is you wouldn't be controlling them with the factory fog light button and if you had the dome light switch to "ON", the lights wouldn't turn off when you hit the lock button eventually killing your battery.

Products Discussed in this Thread