Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

3rd brake light doesn't fit

Old 01-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
davidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
davidjmay's Tacoma Gallery
3rd brake light doesn't fit

I just bought an LED 3rd brake light and the screw holes don't line up.. ??????
Anyone else had this problem? Bought from BuyHaloLights.com. I mean I bought it specifically for a year 2000 tacoma prerunner (exactly what mine is), I dont know why the hell the holes are different.
Attached Thumbnails
3rd brake light doesn't fit-imag0144.jpg  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
661prerunner has a spectacular aura about661prerunner has a spectacular aura about

661prerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking it was for an 01+ but my 3rd is like yours hopefully someone can help you out
Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
davidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidjmay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 661prerunner View Post
I was thinking it was for an 01+ but my 3rd is like yours hopefully someone can help you out
It would make sense that all 1st gens had the same, but even so. I specified 2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR007 View Post
Drill new ones.
Yeah, but I just dont understand why I should have to. Don't you think they should make it just like the factory one...?
Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
That looks like the 2nd Gen screw spacing, not positive on the shape though.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
STOCKTRD is a name known to allSTOCKTRD is a name known to allSTOCKTRD is a name known to allSTOCKTRD is a name known to allSTOCKTRD is a name known to allSTOCKTRD is a name known to all
STOCKTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like they sent you a light for a 05+ Tacoma.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ake-light.html
Old 01-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #7

Yeah those look pretty similar, thats probably the case. Ridiculous.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
H0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant futureH0LLYW00D has a brilliant future
H0LLYW00D's Tacoma Gallery
I have a an aftermarket third brake light and it looks very close to mine, I have a 2009. I think my brake light came from IPCW.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
F16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: LUKE
F16TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Return it.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #11

It's actually not. Or if it is, it doesnt matter. My truck had two holes that the screw holes on the new one lined up perfectly with-- I realized that the only thing holding the stock one on was a bunch of glue, and the two screws you see were only for removing the red glass cover. Fits perfect, looks great.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:39 AM   #12
Onetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Onetime27's Tacoma Gallery
Have any night pics by chance?
I'd like to see how bright it is.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #13

Sure thing. I'll get some up tonight
Old 01-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #14
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
shape is the same for 1st and 2nd gen. but the holes are spaced different. i found this out the hard way, just drill new holes
my 2nd gen 3rd brake cover on my 1st gen taco.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #15
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
shape is the same for 1st and 2nd gen. but the holes are spaced different. i found this out the hard way, just drill new holes
my 2nd gen 3rd brake cover on my 1st gen taco.
That'll work for a cover that goes over the lens.

Drill new holes in the lens itself and every time it rains you'll get water flooding down the headliner inside the cab.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:36 AM   #16
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
dont drill into the lense... drill new holes in the housing (total screws used 4 instead of 2) or just buy some cheap metal brackets at local hardware store to mount where the old holes screw into and then screw the new led housing into the bracket with out drilling anything. if u dont have enough room for the housing and bracket to go from hole to hole, buy two small brackets maybe
Old 02-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetime27 View Post
Have any night pics by chance?
I'd like to see how bright it is.
Sorry it has taken me so long to get these up. Takes two people to do it or else I wouldve done it sooner. But anyway:
running lights:

Brake lights:
Old 02-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #18
42boxer is on a distinguished road

Marines: 6114 HMLA 773
Name: Brannon
42boxer's Tacoma Gallery
what taillight are those? Pics of them in the day?
Old 02-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #20
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjmay View Post
Brake lights:
Looks good! Now let's see how long the it can go before one of the LEDs stop working.