Notices

OTRATTW switches

Old 01-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
Master of All Things Groovy
Spicy taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Brent
Spicy taco's Tacoma Gallery
OTRATTW switches

Here's a dumb question. I've seen a lot of pics and references to the OTRATTW switches, but I haven't seen one pic where they were mounted in the factory switch openings. Does anyone know if they'll fit? I need to order some but I want to make sure before I take the plunge.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy taco View Post
Here's a dumb question. I've seen a lot of pics and references to the OTRATTW switches, but I haven't seen one pic where they were mounted in the factory switch openings. Does anyone know if they'll fit? I need to order some but I want to make sure before I take the plunge.

Thanks in advance!
The factory holes need trimming for the Carling switches to fit. You can see the trimming here.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
ross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant future
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
The trimming is very minor. Super easy to do
Old 01-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery

The opening on the face of the dash is large enough, but each slot is made specifically to accept a certain OEM switch. A couple minutes with a dremel tool, and the switches fit in there very nicely! You aren't grinding anything on the face of the dash, just the returns so shave off the nubs that make that location specific to a Toyota switch (I hope that makes sense).
Old 01-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #5

Outstanding! Thanks to all 3 of you. I figured there would be some trimming but I just didn't want them to overlap the opening and look "home made" lke a lot of the cheap aftermarkets. But I also didn't want to spend $50+ per switch from Toyota either!!

Thanks again guys!
Old 01-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
just dont do what i did. i was trimming for my first switch...and i may have gotten just a hair carried away. the switch wouldnt stay put in the opening at the bottom. luckily, if you wrap one or 2 layers of electrical tape around the switch it will make up that difference easily and the switch will stay put.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #7

I've been known to "over adjust" things before too. I did car stereo installation for several years and nothing makes you madder than 1/16 of an inch!!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #9

Thumbs up

I ordered them last night. I wound up with the ones labeled for what they are. I needed 4 and couldn't make up my mind on the "novelty" ones so I went with the plain ones. No one sees them on the left of the steering wheel besides me anyway. Yours look nice though.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #10

Switches came in Saturday, installed them Saturday night. I hate to keep sucking knowledge out of everybody and not contributing anything, but I have another question. For the switched power lead to the switches I'm planning to add a fuse tap. My question in this...can I tap one fuse and illuminate all 3 switches, then out from there to the individual relays, or do I need to tap a different fuse for each switch? I'm using a Bluesea fuse block under the hood with a 100A CB between it and the battery.

For the record, I've been doing vehicle wiring for 20 plus years including 5 years as a car stereo installer, but that was more years ago than I like to remember and I've been struck stupid LOL! It's amazing how quickly things leave you when you don't use them everyday!

Here's a pic of the switches and thanks to all those who posted last time.

BTW, the truck and the dash are right-side up in reality. I don't know why all my pics are upside-down when I post them. Must be a built-in feature from Apple.
Attached Thumbnails
OTRATTW switches-switches.jpg  
Old 01-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I ran mine with two serperate power sources, one for illumination that comes from a source that goes on with the lights, and a seperate always powered for the relay feed. You will be fine running all three off the same source for either one.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #13
JWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Waldo
JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
quit being wimps and do MOAR TRIMMING!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #14
Please keep TW beautiful: search & stay on topic
BBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBBYE V8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BBYE V8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy taco View Post
Here's a dumb question. I've seen a lot of pics and references to the OTRATTW switches, but I haven't seen one pic where they were mounted in the factory switch openings.
You couldn't find one pic?

I got a thread:
OTRATTW swithc install
I hope it helps.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:12 AM   #16
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery

Hppe this helps. Had to do a bit of trimming. tHey fit snug thats for sure. Haha
Old 02-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #17
DirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud of
DirtJumper14's Tacoma Gallery
Here are mine
Old 02-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #19

I also made me mounting plate for the external fuse block so if it ever warms up again I'm ready to wire them up.
Attached Thumbnails
OTRATTW switches-image.jpg  
Old 02-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #20
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
looks great