Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Help with interior LEDs

Old 01-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
camhawk03 is on a distinguished road
Name: Cameron
camhawk03's Tacoma Gallery
Help with interior LEDs

I am installing LEDs in my center console to give it some light at night. I am using a switch with it as well. I know how to wire everything for the most part. I have one question though. What wire should I tap into to get power? I have heard that tapping into the cigarette lighter is a good option. Is the power wire easily distinguishable from the ground wire on the cigarette lighter? I have also heard that you can tap into the wire for the shift indicator light. How would I figure out which one is the power wire? (And please explain it to me like I'm five, I am confused on this part) Or are there other wires I could tap into easier?

Any other suggestions or tips would also be nice. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
Bump
Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
For the center console the shifter wire is closest and easiest. If I remember correctly they are red and black. Tap into the red wire.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shaun
Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
if you have a multimeter or can go buy a cheap one you can easily test which one is providing 12v when the ignition is on.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauncho View Post
if you have a multimeter or can go buy a cheap one you can easily test which one is providing 12v when the ignition is on.
Can you please explain to me exactly how to do this?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
SpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruceTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
SpruceTaco's Tacoma Gallery
You can also use a test light. Just put the alligator clip on a good ground & touch the tip to an exposed end of the wire or the tip is pointed so you can poke through the insulation & if it lights up thats your power.

I went behind the HVAC controls & on the little plug there is a green & green/white wires, green = power & green/white = ground

Like this.

I did it this way so they would come on with the dash lights. I didn't add another switch & the dimmer will work on the led's as well.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
"GO DUCKS" Edition
Oregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
Oregon TRD's Tacoma Gallery
look thru my thread, theres all kinds of info in there.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ed-lights.html
Old 01-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
"GO DUCKS" Edition
Oregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
Oregon TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTaco View Post
Funny I was going to edit my post to put the link to your thread since it was a big help.

I figured you would get in this thread and nail it anyway by helping..

But I figured with all the guys that contributed to my thread he can probably get other ideas and whatnot so i thought i'd throw the link in here.

Thanks man
Old 01-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shaun
Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by camhawk03 View Post
Can you please explain to me exactly how to do this?
1. Get a multimeter, it'll come with two probes (1 red, 1 black)
2. set multimeter to the 12v setting, it'll be volts DC or something similar
3. with the keys in and power on (engine doesn't need to be started), put the red probe tip on one of the wire connections of the cigarette lighter. simultaneously touch the black probe tip to a grounding point (some sort of bare metal with no paint).

If you've got the right wire, the multimeter should register the number of volts it's pulling. if not, try the other wire. make sure the cigarette lighter insert isn't in and engaged (pushed in and heating up).
Old 01-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauncho View Post
1. Get a multimeter, it'll come with two probes (1 red, 1 black)
2. set multimeter to the 12v setting, it'll be volts DC or something similar
3. with the keys in and power on (engine doesn't need to be started), put the red probe tip on one of the wire connections of the cigarette lighter. simultaneously touch the black probe tip to a grounding point (some sort of bare metal with no paint).

If you've got the right wire, the multimeter should register the number of volts it's pulling. if not, try the other wire. make sure the cigarette lighter insert isn't in and engaged (pushed in and heating up).
Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPR View Post
look thru my thread, theres all kinds of info in there.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ed-lights.html
Yours is actually what made me decide to do it!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTaco View Post
You can also use a test light. Just put the alligator clip on a good ground & touch the tip to an exposed end of the wire or the tip is pointed so you can poke through the insulation & if it lights up thats your power.

I went behind the HVAC controls & on the little plug there is a green & green/white wires, green = power & green/white = ground

Like this.

I did it this way so they would come on with the dash lights. I didn't add another switch & the dimmer will work on the led's as well.
Thanks for the help!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #15
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs257 View Post
For the center console the shifter wire is closest and easiest. If I remember correctly they are red and black. Tap into the red wire.
In my vehicle they are solid green (+) and green with white stripe (-) at the shift lever illumination...