1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Window Control LED Light

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by DR007, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Jan 11, 2013 at 6:46 PM
    DR007

DR007 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
    MagnaFlow exhaust, K&N cold air intake, MB TKO wheels with 265/75/r16 Hankook Dynapro ATM, Blue Center shift LED color change, Map Lights with Dome, LED Map and Dome lights, Cluster Light Change, DTRL, Parking Light as Blinker, Blue A/C Control lights, Blue Clock, Bed Lights, Debadged tailgate, painted all exterior plastic trim, 6LZ Lightbars in grille, OTRATTW switches, Fog Light in Reverse light Mod, LED Blinkers all around, Projector Fog Lights, 15" blitzpro light bar, added hidden cig lighter port, custom plate front bumper, OME complete lift with 885 front coils, Ultraguage, CB radio 3' whips, 12v bed lighter port, Center Console Lights, AllProOffroad Sliders, 50" roof led light bar, 2 BlitzPro 6LZ Reverse Lights
    Haven't found anyone who's posted something like this so I thought I would share.

I changed the color of the 'Auto' on the driver side window switch.

Tools needed:
    *Small Flat Head Screw Driver
    *Phillips Screwdriver
    *LED (of your choice) (5mm is fine)
    * Solder Iron and Solder

To get to the LED that is soldered to the circuit board you have to remove the small window switch panel from the door. To do this you need the small flat head screw driver to carefully pry it up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Once you have it all the way out you will need to remove the wiring harness that is holding on to it. It was tricky in a way but it comes out.
    [​IMG]
    Now that it is disconnected from the power you need to remove the 5 screws from the back. 2 Larger ones holding the faceplate on and 3 holding the back cover on.
    [​IMG]
    With those screws removed you can remove the front plate and put it off to the side.
    [​IMG]
    You need to remove the window lock button to get the back circuit board out. Gently pull straight up and it’ll come off.
    [​IMG]
    Now the circuit board should come out easily.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can see where the LED will fit and make it glow.
    [​IMG]
    You’ll need to remove the back plate to get to the LED solder pads. Just gently pry it off with a flat head screw driver.
    [​IMG]
    Now you can desolder your old LED and resolder you new LED (watch for polarity)(2012 polarity is opposite of what is pictured) The side with the line is flat/ negative side. You are going to want to make sure that the LED is positioned flat so that the light shines evenly
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Once you have resoldered you new LED, before you reassemble, test it out to make sure that it works and is the color you want. Partly reassemble and test it out and make sure the light is as even as you can get it. Then put the rest back together.
    [​IMG]
    To reassemble reverse the order of the disassembly and you are all set.

Any questions ask or pm me.

2. Jan 11, 2013 at 8:01 PM
    Me Likey TRD

Me Likey TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Eastern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    Toytec Ultimate w/Dakar leaf packs, Michilin 265/75/16 LTX AT2, FJ Trail Team replica wheels, Access Ltd bed cover, Katzkin leather, Brute Force rear bumper, Relentless Fab front bumper, Beefed sliders
    Cool project!

What size LED is in there to start with? 3mm? If so, does the switch light up a bit brighter?

Looks fun regardless.

3. Jan 11, 2013 at 8:03 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

ToyotaKTMracing The Blue Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    285 BFG ATs, Custom dual exhaust system, 4" total lift (adjustable billies with 885 coils in front and AALs with 1" block in rear), interior LED lighting, LED reverse lights, LED license plate lights, fog light anytime mod, JVC KW-R500 stereo, 20" okledlightbars.com LED light bar, coverking seat covers
    Going on my small mod list :cool: Sweet write up

4. Jan 11, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    285 BFG ATs, Custom dual exhaust system, 4" total lift (adjustable billies with 885 coils in front and AALs with 1" block in rear), interior LED lighting, LED reverse lights, LED license plate lights, fog light anytime mod, JVC KW-R500 stereo, 20" okledlightbars.com LED light bar, coverking seat covers
    I think I have a color changing led still! Would that look cool or would it be annoying? I doesn't flash. Just smoothly flows through colors.

5. Jan 11, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    DR007

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
    MagnaFlow exhaust, K&N cold air intake, MB TKO wheels with 265/75/r16 Hankook Dynapro ATM, Blue Center shift LED color change, Map Lights with Dome, LED Map and Dome lights, Cluster Light Change, DTRL, Parking Light as Blinker, Blue A/C Control lights, Blue Clock, Bed Lights, Debadged tailgate, painted all exterior plastic trim, 6LZ Lightbars in grille, OTRATTW switches, Fog Light in Reverse light Mod, LED Blinkers all around, Projector Fog Lights, 15" blitzpro light bar, added hidden cig lighter port, custom plate front bumper, OME complete lift with 885 front coils, Ultraguage, CB radio 3' whips, 12v bed lighter port, Center Console Lights, AllProOffroad Sliders, 50" roof led light bar, 2 BlitzPro 6LZ Reverse Lights
    It was 3mm. I couldn't see my light before. It worked but wasn't noticeable. Now it is clearly visible! Yet to see it in daylight though. Ill post an update picture during the day

BruteTaco likes this.
  6. Jan 11, 2013 at 8:10 PM
    DR007

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
    IMO it would be annoying. But it would definitely be unique

Norton likes this.
  7. Jan 11, 2013 at 8:10 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    True. If not, I have blue :)

8. Jan 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    So what size is it in the last picture? 3mm or 5mm?

9. Jan 11, 2013 at 8:21 PM
    DR007

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
    If you try it out, post some pictures or video of it!

10. Jan 11, 2013 at 8:25 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    I will probably try it to see. Idk how to post videos. And I've been a member for a while and still don't know :anonymous: lol

11. Jan 11, 2013 at 8:30 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    I think it would be cool. I mean it doesn't flash, and it would look cool as long as its not super bright

12. Jan 11, 2013 at 9:59 PM
    DR007

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
    The first 2. It's the small led. The big clear LED is the new one

13. Jan 11, 2013 at 10:41 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    I got it! It looks awesome! Not too bright either. Just right. Fast, easy, and awesome mod! I'll try to get a vid up :D

14. Jan 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    I sent the video to TW live thread. Will that work to get a video on here? I recorded it with my phone. Idk how to upload videos and idk my YouTube account(s) password.

15. Jan 11, 2013 at 11:19 PM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
    Do you actually have to look at that switch to know which one it is? Or done just for the cool factor?

16. Jan 11, 2013 at 11:21 PM
    ToyotaKTMracing

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB Ink 4WD Auto
    Cool factor. It's the same reason people change the light in the fog switch. Looks and uniqueness.

17. Jan 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM
    Me Likey TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Eastern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    Toytec Ultimate w/Dakar leaf packs, Michilin 265/75/16 LTX AT2, FJ Trail Team replica wheels, Access Ltd bed cover, Katzkin leather, Brute Force rear bumper, Relentless Fab front bumper, Beefed sliders
    Okay - tried this mod on my 2012 today.

The 2012 is nearly identical to the OP's description with one minor difference. The circuit board layout is slightly modified and there is not an LED polarity symbol on the 2012. By trial and error I found that the positive side of the LED goes toward the outside edge of the board.

Fun project.

18. Jan 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM
    DirtJumper14

DirtJumper14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OR
    5100's, BDF grills and light bracket, big 3 upgrade, ATH bed braces, snugtop xtra vision shell, (bed, shell, hood, rock, front, rear, footwell, glove box, center console led lighting), MESO Gasshole, MESO dome and map lights, Flyeyez center console light, custom fuse panel, TRD CAI, toyota bed mat, 2013 black carpet, 2015 side mirrors, BedRug, AJT key fob, ultraguage, 8 cadillac horns acdf, pop n lock tailgate lock, energy suspension bushings, spicer greasable ujoints, Rigid lights everywhere, kenwood stereo, led tube taillights (red), 2018 T4R trail wheels, rokblok mud flaps, TRD skid plate, RCi gas tank skid plate
    Did you by any chance check the voltage while you had it apart?

19. Jan 12, 2013 at 4:24 PM
    Me Likey TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Eastern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    No, but it should be around 3v - standard LED voltage anyway.

20. Jan 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM
    DR007

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Port Barre, LA
    Vehicle:
    '06 DCSB PreRunner
    I updated the original post to include the 2012 polarity. Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top