Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Window Control LED Light

Old 01-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
DR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
DR007's Tacoma Gallery
Window Control LED Light

Haven't found anyone who's posted something like this so I thought I would share.

I changed the color of the 'Auto' on the driver side window switch.

Tools needed:
*Small Flat Head Screw Driver
*Phillips Screwdriver
*LED (of your choice) (5mm is fine)
* Solder Iron and Solder

To get to the LED that is soldered to the circuit board you have to remove the small window switch panel from the door. To do this you need the small flat head screw driver to carefully pry it up.

Once you have it all the way out you will need to remove the wiring harness that is holding on to it. It was tricky in a way but it comes out.

Now that it is disconnected from the power you need to remove the 5 screws from the back. 2 Larger ones holding the faceplate on and 3 holding the back cover on.

With those screws removed you can remove the front plate and put it off to the side.

You need to remove the window lock button to get the back circuit board out. Gently pull straight up and it’ll come off.

Now the circuit board should come out easily.

You can see where the LED will fit and make it glow.

You’ll need to remove the back plate to get to the LED solder pads. Just gently pry it off with a flat head screw driver.

Now you can desolder your old LED and resolder you new LED (watch for polarity)(2012 polarity is opposite of what is pictured) The side with the line is flat/ negative side. You are going to want to make sure that the LED is positioned flat so that the light shines evenly

Once you have resoldered you new LED, before you reassemble, test it out to make sure that it works and is the color you want. Partly reassemble and test it out and make sure the light is as even as you can get it. Then put the rest back together.

To reassemble reverse the order of the disassembly and you are all set.

Any questions ask or pm me.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Me Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stan
Me Likey TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Cool project!

What size LED is in there to start with? 3mm? If so, does the switch light up a bit brighter?

Looks fun regardless.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
I think I have a color changing led still! Would that look cool or would it be annoying? I doesn't flash. Just smoothly flows through colors.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
DR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DR007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Likey TRD View Post
Cool project!

What size LED is in there to start with? 3mm? If so, does the switch light up a bit brighter?

Looks fun regardless.
It was 3mm. I couldn't see my light before. It worked but wasn't noticeable. Now it is clearly visible! Yet to see it in daylight though. Ill post an update picture during the day
Old 01-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #6

DR007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKTMracing View Post
I think I have a color changing led still! Would that look cool or would it be annoying? I doesn't flash. Just smoothly flows through colors.
IMO it would be annoying. But it would definitely be unique
Old 01-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR007 View Post
IMO it would be annoying. But it would definitely be unique
True. If not, I have blue
Old 01-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
If you try it out, post some pictures or video of it!
I will probably try it to see. Idk how to post videos. And I've been a member for a while and still don't know lol
Old 01-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKTMracing View Post
I will probably try it to see. Idk how to post videos. And I've been a member for a while and still don't know lol
I think it would be cool. I mean it doesn't flash, and it would look cool as long as its not super bright
Old 01-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #12
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Any questions ask or pm me.
Which of these pics shows the original LED?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #14
The Blue Warrior

I got it! It looks awesome! Not too bright either. Just right. Fast, easy, and awesome mod! I'll try to get a vid up
Old 01-11-2013, 11:02 PM   #15
The Blue Warrior

I sent the video to TW live thread. Will that work to get a video on here? I recorded it with my phone. Idk how to upload videos and idk my YouTube account(s) password.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #16
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Do you actually have to look at that switch to know which one it is? Or done just for the cool factor?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #17
The Blue Warrior

Cool factor. It's the same reason people change the light in the fog switch. Looks and uniqueness.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #18
Me Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Okay - tried this mod on my 2012 today.

The 2012 is nearly identical to the OP's description with one minor difference. The circuit board layout is slightly modified and there is not an LED polarity symbol on the 2012. By trial and error I found that the positive side of the LED goes toward the outside edge of the board.

Fun project.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #19
DirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud ofDirtJumper14 has much to be proud of
DirtJumper14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Likey TRD View Post
Okay - tried this mod on my 2012 today.

The 2012 is nearly identical to the OP's description with one minor difference. The circuit board layout is slightly modified and there is not an LED polarity symbol on the 2012. By trial and error I found that the positive side of the LED goes toward the outside edge of the board.

Fun project.
Did you by any chance check the voltage while you had it apart?
Old 01-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJumper14 View Post
Did you by any chance check the voltage while you had it apart?
No, but it should be around 3v - standard LED voltage anyway.