Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Light up the ignition switch

Old 01-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: Canadain bumber technician
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
Light up the ignition switch

2nd gen
I dunno how many times I get into the truck , close the door and gotta search for a place to put the key . I have the Flyzeyes Mod under the radio but it doesnt light the ignition . I have Led in the map and dome lights but that doesnt light up the ignition switch .
Anyone got a quick fix ?
My dimmer shuts off to quick once I close the door > by the time I get the door closed , The auto dim goes dark and I cant see the ignition switch

Here is a guy who used glow in the dark paint http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...tion-ring.html
Old 01-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
Ronn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ron
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen some vehicles with a little ring around the ignition switch, wonder if it's possible to epoxy a little light strip in there?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTaco View Post
Put the key in before you close the door. Hahaha
My buddy has a 93 4runner & it has a little light on the steering column that shines on the ignition. Maybe you can find something like that or a lighted ignition ring from another model like a rav4 or 4runner

I do leave the door open now but I like your idea . If a Rav 4 or a 4 runner have the lighted ring , I will look into a mod
Old 01-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
Oscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shedOscarbob is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: E4 0311
Name: Bob
Oscarbob's Tacoma Gallery
I was just thinking about this the other day. My gf just got a new kia that has a lighted ring around the ignition. Seems pretty useful...

Maybe one of those mini LED light strips wired into the dome light?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Rav4 definitely has it..my wife's 05 is also color coded to the instrument panel lights.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #9

I like the idea of adding a lit ring around the ignition switch >
Lets say i grabbed a ring from the wrecking yard and installed it tying it into my interior lighting circuit . Only issue , my auto dimmer goes off too quickly . Is there a way to lengthen the auto dimmer timer ?
Old 01-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #10
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe a LED ring?
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=14906
Old 01-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Never had a problem finding the hole in the dark
Old 01-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Never had a problem finding the hole in the dark
Old 01-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #13
easler24 is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
easler24's Tacoma Gallery
Use some glow in the dark paint. I have some glow in the dark nail polish that I bought at a Halloween store. I have put it on all of my light switches in the house. It works well.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #14
hawkeye89 has a brilliant futurehawkeye89 has a brilliant futurehawkeye89 has a brilliant futurehawkeye89 has a brilliant futurehawkeye89 has a brilliant futurehawkeye89 has a brilliant futurehawkeye89 has a brilliant futurehawkeye89 has a brilliant futurehawkeye89 has a brilliant futurehawkeye89 has a brilliant futurehawkeye89 has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
hawkeye89's Tacoma Gallery
old thread, I know, but the idea came to me...

hardwire an led angel eyes?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...er/878/#images

Not sure where I'd tap it in to keep it glowing longer like in my old camry.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #15
ramonortiz55 is just really niceramonortiz55 is just really niceramonortiz55 is just really niceramonortiz55 is just really nice

Name: Ramon
ramonortiz55's Tacoma Gallery
my camry has one, i wonder if the parts are interchangeable?

but then if the diameter is different, you might have to trim the steering column plastic.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #16
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
I'll go ahead and bump this. Tried to do this a while back on my 2013 with a 3rd gen 4runner ring. Too small. I could do some serious sanding to get it to fit but haven't gotten around to doing it. I'd imagine a 5th gen 4runner ring would fit but I have no idea where you'd find just the ring...I'm not sure if the ignition cylinder comes with it if you were to order one but I don't think so just by looking at the parts diagrams.

On a side note, and not sure if the trim on ignition cylinders differs between 2nd gen years but mine has a black piece (for signal from chip in key or whatever) and under it is a coiled up copper wire and some other electronics. Had to pry this piece off to even have a chance of fitting a lit ring on the cylinder.

I'll get the 3rd gen ring to fit eventually but I'd definitely suggest the 5th gen ring if you can find a wrecked one. My friend has a 2013 4runner and they at least looked identical. Nt sure on exact measurement.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:13 AM   #17
PhD, DVM, MPH, MS, MMA, Esq, XYZ, 123, blahblah
DrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dr. (I just play one on TV)
DrFunker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by easler24 View Post
Use some glow in the dark paint. I have some glow in the dark nail polish that I bought at a Halloween store. I have put it on all of my light switches in the house. It works well.
Great idea!