Notices

Cheap Back Up light solution.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
"I think I know more than I do."
Bullfrog is on a distinguished road

Name: McLaren
Bullfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Cheap Back Up light solution.

I was struggling with Backing up in the dark living on property because the stock back up lights suck on the first gens. I went down to the local Autoparts store (I hate Oreily's) in North Bend, Wa and pickup some cheap 55w driving lights drilled some 1/2inch holes in the bumper, Threaded them put the lights in (open up the housings and flip the drain holes) and wired them to the stock backup lights. My jeeper friend said rocks will probably kick up and break them but for 20 bucks i can live with that. Let me know if anyone does this or has any suggestions! Hope this is helpful never thought it was that easy!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
Toyota Technician
Ryanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
Ryanv's Tacoma Gallery
Please tell me you used a relay and didn't just t-tap into the reverse circuit.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #3

Lights didn't come with one so I didn't bother. Why would you suggest doing so?
Old 01-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
Toyota Technician
Ryanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Ryanv's Tacoma Gallery
You just added over 8 amp load to a 10 amp circuit you will blow a fuse. DO NOT install a bigger fuse you can start a fire. Lets assume your charging system puts out 13V A=W/V 2x55w in parallel 110w 110w/13V=8.46A
Old 01-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
My bad
Old 01-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #7

What is the relay going to do to help/ avoid this problem?
Old 01-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
Toyota Technician
Ryanv's Tacoma Gallery
2nd gen what? Im looking at a FSM for a 98 Tacoma v6 reverse lights run off the 10A GAUGE fuse that is also a source for all dash lights. its basic electrical principle
Old 01-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #9
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Only prevents you from running 9amps into the switch in your cab and let's you run new 16 gauge wires to those lights.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #10
Toyota Technician
Ryanv's Tacoma Gallery
relay uses small amp draw from reverse lights to move a switch in relay to use larger wire you add to power spot lights. ill do a quick drawing
Old 01-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #11
Toyota Technician
Ryanv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaKid View Post
Only prevents you from running 9amps into the switch in your cab and let's you run new 16 gauge wires to those lights.
wrong it stops you from running that exra 9a through the fuse, relay and wiring that is only designed to handle 10a
Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanv View Post
wrong it stops you from running that exra 9a through the fuse, relay and wiring that is only designed to handle 10a
Only if he ran new wires from the source to the lights.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #13
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
lets just say its safer.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:13 AM   #14
Toyota Technician
Ryanv's Tacoma Gallery

Use 14 Gauge wires from battery into relay, out of relay to splice before lights and relay ground. 18 will work from splice to lights or you can just keep going to lights with 14. The splice is important