Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Wire 2 Switches to 1 set of lights? Can It be done?

Old 01-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
Toyotaco1670 is on a distinguished road
Toyotaco1670's Tacoma Gallery
Wire 2 Switches to 1 set of lights? Can It be done?

I have a set of lights in the back of my truck. I'd like to wire one switch in the cab and another switch in the back of the truck. Can it be done? If so how? Does anyone have a wire diagram?
Old 01-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
Mikey560 is on a distinguished road
Mikey560's Tacoma Gallery
http://micahgallant.com/2011/06/25/visualizing-3-ways
Old 01-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
You want a 3-way switch. You would need 2 DPDT switches and 2 positives running parallel between each switch.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery

Pardon the crude drawing.
You wouldn't tap in to where the switches prongs are, there would be 2 sets of them for each DPDT switch, just put them in the right spot or you will keep popping fuses.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey560 View Post
I should probably read the other posts before I whip out paint this is a better diagram.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
ROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: EOD Tech
Name: Jake
ROGU3 PR3DATOR's Tacoma Gallery
Here is how I wired mine for that exact purpose, But I also wanted the switch to illuminate with the lights in the bed as an indicator. End result with my setup is one light on my switch comes on with the headlights, the other when the bed lights are on, no matter what position the in cab switch is in. Only difference in wiring is that I tied the dash lights to the lower light and the bed lights to the upper light in the switch. That way the words illuminate with the headlights. After I did this I also discovered that tapping into the dash light circuits also ties into the dimmer.

Bed switch:

Cab Switch:
Old 01-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
ROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedROGU3 PR3DATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2chains View Post
Nice work ROGU3! Love that switch! Did you need a relay?
Thanks, and no, I didnt bother with a relay mainly because I didnt think it was necessary for just an led strip. That and I wanted the lights to work with the truck off. And I guess I should point out that I am not taking power directly from the battery. The circuit is fused via an Aux fuse block which is where the power comes from.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
staymates788 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: SEAN
staymates788's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGU3 PR3DATOR View Post
Thanks, and no, I didnt bother with a relay mainly because I didnt think it was necessary for just an led strip. That and I wanted the lights to work with the truck off. And I guess I should point out that I am not taking power directly from the battery. The circuit is fused via an Aux fuse block which is where the power comes from.
Do you have a picture of the lights in the bed? I'm curious how the "marker" set up is.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by staymates788 View Post
Do you have a picture of the lights in the bed? I'm curious how the "marker" set up is.
Not sure what you mean by marker set up, but here are the photos:

Daytime:

Nighttime:
Old 01-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #12
staymates788 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: SEAN
staymates788's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

"But I also wanted the switch to illuminate with the lights in the bed as an indicator. "
^^ I read that wrong, my bad.

That's a awesome set up... Putting it on my To-Do list!
Old 01-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
claymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant future

Name: Clay
claymore's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Daytime:

Nighttime:
How do you have the high lift and cables attached up there? Looks good!
Old 01-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Great circuit Rogu3.

Large... Dafuk is that?

Rogu3... that is a very creative way to maintain an indicator light on the dash. Most switches won't allow for that because one leg of the indicator is connected to the "output", and of course, that alternates with the 3-way switch.

Caution to those planning this that you are going to need a specific OTTRAW switch that has isolated terminals for the indicator.
A SPDT will work fine if that is available with the isolated lamps.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #16
Internet Winner
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post

Large... Dafuk is that?
That sir is Microsoft Paint

Jkjk Large, better than anything I can do and more than I have contributed to this thread
Old 01-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #17
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
That sir is Microsoft Paint

Jkjk Large, better than anything I can do and more than I have contributed to this thread
Ya... I use paint all the time.
I used it to make "CAD" drawings that I'd send to our San Jose office because the boss wouldn't buy a 2nd license.

But he's got an extra wire going to the light from the left switch.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Great circuit Rogu3.
that is a very creative way to maintain an indicator light on the dash. Most switches won't allow for that because one leg of the indicator is connected to the "output", and of course, that alternates with the 3-way switch.

Caution to those planning this that you are going to need a specific OTTRAW switch that has isolated terminals for the indicator.
A SPDT will work fine if that is available with the isolated lamps.
Thanks, I ended up using the switch OTRATTW offered that had two independently wired amber LEDs, but having looked for another one recently, I could not find the same switch body on their site.

Quote:
Ya... I use paint all the time.
I used it to make "CAD" drawings that I'd send to our San Jose office because the boss wouldn't buy a 2nd license.

But he's got an extra wire going to the light from the left switch.
The extra wire is what provides power to the top light in the switch and acts as an indicator, but is unaffected by switch position. That way whenever the bed lights are on, so is the top portion of the switch.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #19
Toyotaco1670 is on a distinguished road
Toyotaco1670's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the great info and diagram!!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #20

Quote:
The extra wire is what provides power to the top light in the switch and acts as an indicator, but is unaffected by switch position. That way whenever the bed lights are on, so is the top portion of the switch.
I was referring to Large's cluster that didn't show where anything was connected to anything and showed two wires running to the light plus the ground.
Quote:
Thanks, I ended up using the switch OTRATTW offered that had two independently wired amber LEDs, but having looked for another one recently, I could not find the same switch body on their site.
Ya, I was looking for one for a thread a while back and the only solution I could come up with was to run a separate indicator light.
Too bad the OEM FJ Cruiser switch is a SPST... if it were a DT you could use it since the indicator is separate.