Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Cathodes in bed(shell) / DIY dome light

Old 01-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
TL;DR BOSS
hour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brandon
hour's Tacoma Gallery
Cathodes in bed(shell) / DIY dome light

Needed some light back there for getting stuff out. My cargo net (narrow one that spans bed width, not one that covers entire bed) is in the very rear of the truck so I can pop the glass of my shell and put groceries in as if I had a trunk still

Already had fused wire running from battery to rear for auxiliary reverse lights relay, decided to run that to a $6 6 circuit fuse panel in bed and wire these up / have easy way to add stuff in the future. Got some $7 cold cathodes (white) with free shipping, put them at the very end of the shell closest to tail gate on the ceiling. Going to play with them tomorrow and clean up wiring, thinking of replacing the rocket switch I have on them with magnetic switch in near future. Just took a pic though since it got dark and they're pretty damn impressive. Not sure how they'll like frigid winter temperatures but we shall see - if I had thought to use LEDs I would have done that instead but it's okay. Now to clean the dog shit that I stepped in while taking this pic from my shoe.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
FPS-a-holic
Fractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Fractured's Tacoma Gallery
Can I see some pics of the cathodes in the light? And maybe some more pics just for fun, Looks like a cool project.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
TL;DR BOSS
hour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the roughhour is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brandon
hour's Tacoma Gallery
Only other pic I have was a test inside using a 12v dc adapter that I had stripped +/- to. They're 1ft long each and have a small power box. You can extend the wires as long as you want really to the actual control box (for power/ground), but for the cathodes you really shouldn't touch em. I think I have 6" from the control box with each cathode. If you extend these wires (and even use same gauge of wire), they won't function properly. Something about how cathodes work, thankfully I learned this before I hacked up anything due to the millions of people using these in PC cases.

Gonna clean up wiring and relocate them a smidge (center power box on roof of shell, light on each side of box) once the sun comes up so I'll snap some daytime pics then. I used industrial velcro to put everything up which should work fine, the bars and the box weigh practically nothing. I got some split wire loom at home depot the other day for cheap, like $8 for 30 feet of 3/8" (compare to autozone/advance auto parts prices) and will be using that to cover the wires going up to the roof, and putting it everywhere I can underneath the truck for a more OEM look. I sent power from the battery to the bed pretty cautiously and hung all my other wires for aux backup lights and stuff out of harms way/no chance of chafing, but still want clean appearance.