Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

need help wiring

Old 01-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
ethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of light

Air Force: 314MXG
Name: ethan
ethanfoy's Tacoma Gallery
need help wiring

ok so i bought some cheap 4in lights from walmart for behind my grill. Well the dang kit didn't come with a long enough wire from the battery to the switch and a ground wire not long enough. Would it be ok if i wire it up with my amp. As long as i wire it up as the diagram says.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
What do you mean by 'wire it up with your amp'?
Old 01-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
ethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of light

hook the hot for my switch to the hot on my amp. the same with the ground
Old 01-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanfoy View Post
hook the hot for my switch to the hot on my amp. the same with the ground
Will that same hot wire be what's powering the lights also or just the switch and going to the relay to trigger? If it's just a low draw for the switch and to trigger the relay, that's fine.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #6

its the same wire thats going to the lights the hot and the ground connects to the switch then one wire goes to the lights witch splits to the two lights and the two lights are grounded also.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #7

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
its the same wire thats going to the lights the hot and the ground connects to the switch then one wire goes to the lights witch splits to the two lights and the two lights are grounded also.
That changes things a bit. First, make sure your switch can handle the power draw from the lights. Typically, I will only use a small draw through a switch, just enough to switch a relay and let the relay handle the heavy load.

You can use the same power wire to power 2 things, but you want to make sure those accessories are still fused separately (meaning the in-line fuses are after the wire splits). You don't want to add the lights onto the existing fuse for the amp and you need to make sure the wires themselves for the amp can handle the extra power drawn by the lights.

If it were me, I'd pick up some extra wire and keep the wires separate and also use a relay.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Get a relay and some wire and do it right the first time as stated above
Old 01-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #9

ok will do i was just wondering. Thats all it came with so i figured o maybe i can do this. Will a relay take some load off the battery make them brighter they are 55w halogens? where do you usually run you wires so i dont have a lot of lose wires just laying around.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #10

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok will do i was just wondering. Thats all it came with so i figured o maybe i can do this. Will a relay take some load off the battery make them brighter they are 55w halogens? where do you usually run you wires so i dont have a lot of lose wires just laying around.
The lights won't be any brighter, but the install will be cleaner if you ever have to change it up later. I run everything in wire loom and run it along existing wiring to keep it looking neat. The relay actually adds wiring but is the right way to do wiring.

I hate to say it but a lot of those kits come with cheap, worthless wiring harnesses. Even with my expensive PIAA kit, I cut the whole wiring harness apart and wired it up fron scratch. Most kit wiring sucks, sorry man.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #11

yeah they were only 15 dollars so I could understand that the wiring harness being crappy. Do I just get a relay from advance or similar auto parts store. thanks a lot guys yall have helped me out a lot.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah they were only 15 dollars so I could understand that the wiring harness being crappy. Do I just get a relay from advance or similar auto parts store. thanks a lot guys yall have helped me out a lot.
Yep, any auto parts store should have a relay. Should only be a couple bucks.