Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Custom relay harness!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Future President
Spencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIGGLEBITTIES
Spencer's Tacoma Gallery
Custom relay harness!

Since theres really no wire harness section around here...
Two things-
First,

ive been Talking to Dave from
http://www.autotrendefi.com/
After poking around & finding no luck at all with a good relay/ fuse block combo that wasn't Frankenstein-ed with RadioShack sh**, I found this guy who fabricates custom stuff!
I'm working with him to get a group buy here on something like this

Custom relay harness!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359694128.730244.jpg

The model he'll make for us is EIGHT total relays, all separately operated with a switch lead, each with a 40 amp capacity and a corresponding fuse circuit, four separate extra fuse circuits without a relay to be wired constant hot,
And the last of the 8 relays will be connected to 4 fuses- this will be perfect for your body LED's to be all safely wired to separate fuses. Or whatevah.
Right now, about 320$ each before any group rate etc. he's looking to get 20 people in on it.

Either way, just seeing if anyone would wanna jump in on this with me to drive the price down & get a badass
Safe
Relay circuit for your lighting project instead of your fire prone octopus orgy.

Second, I'm just looking for opinions on my wiring schematic- which happen to be on my computer... Next post coming up
Old 02-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
$320 for that....WOW!!!! whats wrong w/ a blue sea fuse box and a custom relay hub? honest question.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah it seems kinda pricey but I like the look of the relays attached to it, nice to have everything fastened down in one place.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

well if you like the look...just get a panel of aluminum and mount it all just like the picture. satisfaction of doing it yourself and most likely saving a ton of money. all those relays appear to just have modular tabs on the sides, so i am sure you could source something just like it.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
tdunc is a jewel in the roughtdunc is a jewel in the roughtdunc is a jewel in the roughtdunc is a jewel in the rough
tdunc's Tacoma Gallery
I bought one of these and did all the wiring myself. I think I'm up to $175 for block (5 relays/10 fuses), wiring, switches, etc. And this one is sealed

http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont..._Tns_15300.pdf
Old 02-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdunc View Post
I bought one of these and did all the wiring myself. I think I'm up to $175 for block (5 relays/10 fuses), wiring, switches, etc. And this one is sealed

http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont..._Tns_15300.pdf
Sure, I can do all the wiring by myself too, but not all of us are that good at it, I could see where this could be useful to someone who doesn't want to get into fabbing all this stuff up.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
EEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really nice

Firefighter:
EEtaco's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.4x4spod.com/
Old 02-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
New guy
Ryan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic/ff reserve
Name: Ryan
Ryan DCFS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
Since theres really no wire harness section around here...
Two things-
First,

ive been Talking to Dave from
http://www.autotrendefi.com/
After poking around & finding no luck at all with a good relay/ fuse block combo that wasn't Frankenstein-ed with RadioShack sh**, I found this guy who fabricates custom stuff!
I'm working with him to get a group buy here on something like this

Attachment 193143

The model he'll make for us is EIGHT total relays, all separately operated with a switch lead, each with a 40 amp capacity and a corresponding fuse circuit, four separate extra fuse circuits without a relay to be wired constant hot,
And the last of the 8 relays will be connected to 4 fuses- this will be perfect for your body LED's to be all safely wired to separate fuses. Or whatevah.
Right now, about 320$ each before any group rate etc. he's looking to get 20 people in on it.

Either way, just seeing if anyone would wanna jump in on this with me to drive the price down & get a badass
Safe
Relay circuit for your lighting project instead of your fire prone octopus orgy.

Second, I'm just looking for opinions on my wiring schematic- which happen to be on my computer... Next post coming up

Good god, please, PLEASE don't pay 320 for that...

http://www.waytekwire.com/item/46343...RO-RELAY-RTMR/

20-30 dollars at waytech, depending on what you get. It can have either 3 mini, or 5 micro relays, with 10 micro fuses.

It's also very small, and water tight.

For 10 micro relays, 20 fuses, and 2 of those boxes, you're still under $100.

Check out blackdawg's first gen build, and search the thread for waytech. He used one for some of his electrical.

You can also get the fuses and relays bussed if you choose.

Photo added:

Old 02-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
You could get an SPOD for close to that amount, just sayin.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
New guy
Ryan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic/ff reserve
Name: Ryan
Ryan DCFS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
You could get an SPOD for close to that amount, just sayin.
This as well, the spod comes with 6 carling switches, a circuit breaker, and mounting hardware.

If you're gonna spend that kind of money, you should not be worried about wiring ANYTHING.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan DCFS View Post
http://www.waytekwire.com/item/46343...RO-RELAY-RTMR/

20-30 dollars at waytech, depending on what you get. It can have either 3 mini, or 5 micro relays, with 10 micro fuses.

It's also very small, and water tight.

For 10 micro relays, 20 fuses, and 2 of those boxes, you're still under $100.
now that is cool!!! didnt realize they make those things, so nice and easy!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
ShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shane
ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Get the bussman.

What I am using and love it. Expensive to get all the plugs and the crimper tool and seals. But worth it.

Can you explain what you did there?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #15
Future President
Spencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Spencer's Tacoma Gallery
I saw several of these cooper ones but they don't do exactly what I needed/ I didn't wanna get into hassling with the fabrication myself AND most can't handle the amperage I need. The mini relays are cool but (correct me if I'm wrong ) can't handle 40 amps continuous load.

Here's the wiring diagram I've made up. Opinions?
Custom relay harness!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359907632.171045.jpg

Also, the guy is ready for a group buy now, so ill head on over to the group buy section!

Yeah it's pricey & I'm gonna talk him down more after seeing the similar MUCH cheaper options
Il keep y'all posted!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #16
Future President

Spencer's Tacoma Gallery
Here's what Dave sent me. Before I go over to group buy section I figured I'd share here & get opinions.

Custom Tacoma 8 Relay, 16 Fuse Panel

Description
8- 40A Relays Total
1- Relay: Switched 12V controlled, powering up 4 “Switched 12V” Fuses
7- Relays: 12V input controlled from vehicle switches (not included)

(16) Fuses Total
4- 20A Fuses are switched 12V from Ign. Relay
4- 20A Fuses Battery Hot all the time
8- 30A Fuses Protect 8 Relayed circuits

Inputs
Main Battery Input will be a 3/8 Stud Type Terminal block
1- Switched 12V input from vehicle controlling 1 relay
7- 12V inputs from vehicle switches controlling (7) relays
1- Common Relay Ground Circuit 12” long

Outputs
7- Relay Outputs​12G Lead 12” Long
8- Fused Outputs​16G Leads 12” Long
(4 hot all the time, 4 hot only with key on)

Cost
Up to 10 panels​$378.00 each
11-20 panels​$358.00 each
Over 20 panels​$334.00 each

Orders will be taken until March 1st
There will be a build lead time of 3-4 weeks from March 1st
Orders may be placed by calling with a credit card or through PayPal
Payments will be taken at end of order period when we know the price break.

Autotrend EFI
6566-C Commerce Way
Diamond Springs CA 95619
(530) 642-0999 Email: info@autotrendefi.com
Old 02-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #17
Future President

Spencer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
Here's what Dave sent me. Before I go over to group buy section I figured I'd share here & get opinions.

Custom Tacoma 8 Relay, 16 Fuse Panel

Description
8- 40A Relays Total
1- Relay: Switched 12V controlled, powering up 4 “Switched 12V” Fuses
7- Relays: 12V input controlled from vehicle switches (not included)

(16) Fuses Total
4- 20A Fuses are switched 12V from Ign. Relay
4- 20A Fuses Battery Hot all the time
8- 30A Fuses Protect 8 Relayed circuits

Inputs
Main Battery Input will be a 3/8 Stud Type Terminal block
1- Switched 12V input from vehicle controlling 1 relay
7- 12V inputs from vehicle switches controlling (7) relays
1- Common Relay Ground Circuit 12” long

Outputs
7- Relay Outputs​12G Lead 12” Long
8- Fused Outputs​16G Leads 12” Long
(4 hot all the time, 4 hot only with key on)

Cost
Up to 10 panels​$378.00 each
11-20 panels​$358.00 each
Over 20 panels​$334.00 each

Orders will be taken until March 1st
There will be a build lead time of 3-4 weeks from March 1st
Orders may be placed by calling with a credit card or through PayPal
Payments will be taken at end of order period when we know the price break.

Autotrend EFI
6566-C Commerce Way
Diamond Springs CA 95619
(530) 642-0999 Email: info@autotrendefi.com
Also
Remember I'm working to get the price down. Anyone still interested?
Old 02-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #18
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

paranoid56's Tacoma Gallery
so looking at what you plan on running i dont see anything that really needs a 40amp relay. that busman above would more then suit your needs. all those parts are from waytek wire and well under 100 for all of it. if you like what he has, i would look into getting that and wiring it up yourself to help learn about these items. really helps if you have a problem later down the road.
and as other have said, if you really want something nice look at that Spod setup. switches and everything.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #20
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
ummm...why the heck do you need 40 amp relays for lights?? LEDs draw like 1-4amps continuous.

My minis are 35amp continuous

the biggest thing i have on mine are 4 55w HIDs which is almost 20 amps. same goes for me 100w LF240s. Still close to 20 amps.

i can't think of anything im running that needs more the 35amp continuous. Not even a fridge/freezer.
4-100W lights on the same relay would require a 40A relay. Either way, the price difference between a 30A and a 40A is extremely minimal so you might as well get the higher rated one if you're unsure about how things will be wired on your truck.