Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

new help wiring exterior HID light

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
03tacoman's Tacoma Gallery
new help wiring exterior HID light

I am doing blackdawg's free blinker relocation mod. which will leave my lower light housings empty and i want to put 35w 3k HIDs into these empty housings. I need to know how I am going to get power to them without messing them up. I'm going to have a switch in the cab so that I can have them on/off whenever I want.

Since all I am going to have is this kit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140756939258...84.m1423.l2649
I need to know how to power it since I won't have a wire with a plug on the end of it that I just simply plug the HID kit into...

1. do I cut the connector off of the HIDs and just crimp the + and - to my wires that I run ?

2. can I use 18g wire?

3. What power source should I take power from? the battery? a fuse tap on the horn fuse inside the cab? orrrrr ? I'm confused as hell need some help!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
Just order a Relay kit
http://www.amazon.com/Xenon-Conversi...lay+harness+h4

Used this one up until I did my retrofit
id save the money and just prep for a retrofit its much better in every aspect lol

Id silicone every plug shut also if you go with a pnp kit because mine had problems even with the little rubber seal
Old 02-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
What does the relay do exactly? why can't you just wire it straight from battery to fuse to lights? thanks!
Old 02-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Regulates the electricity ? im not exactly sure lol but the relay box obviously does something its supposed to, I would direct wire because then you could over power them and catch your truck on fire
Old 02-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
jeverich's Tacoma Gallery
A relay is basically a switch...

I'd advise against running a wire directly from your battery to a switch in your cab.

It is much safer to have a 2.5 AMP 18 AWG relay trigger wire running through your firewall; than having your lights on a direct on/off circuit to your in-cab switch.

Please, do yourself a favor and do some research on 12 volt circuits before going through with this mod. This topic seems to come up about once a day in one form or another on here...

Do a quick search.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverich View Post
A relay is basically a switch...

I'd advise against running a wire directly from your battery to a switch in your cab.

It is much safer to have a 2.5 AMP 18 AWG relay trigger wire running through your firewall; than having your lights on a direct on/off circuit to your in-cab switch.

Please, do yourself a favor and do some research on 12 volt circuits before going through with this mod. This topic seems to come up about once a day in one form or another on here...

Do a quick search.
So the relay trigger wire would just be a smaller wire going to my switch that turns the relay on which then puts power to the lights? I will look that up thank you! just hard sometimes to know exactly what I need to research. thanks
Old 02-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Formally afroman5015

Why not just order the relay and wire the H4 end to the old turning signal wires
Old 02-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by afroman5015 View Post
Why not just order the relay and wire the H4 end to the old turning signal wires
because I need my turn signal wires?

Products Discussed in this Thread