Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

fog light anytime problem.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
smurf taco has a spectacular aura aboutsmurf taco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Brian
smurf taco's Tacoma Gallery
fog light anytime problem.

so i did the fog light anytime problem and i followed the directions and everything went fine except when i went to test it. i completely lost my fog light and it woudnt turn on at all with the head lights on or off. i have a 2009 trd sport dblcb LB. so i decided to say f*** it and put it back to the way it was and then all of the sudden my check engine light is on along with traction control? will this turn off after driving some miles or what?
Old 02-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blackshirts's Tacoma Gallery
Check fog fuse first.

Second try unhooking your battery for 15 mins.. May need to get code pulled and system flashed. But it sounds like you tapped into the wrong wire.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Post up what you did, exactly, step by step. There are several fog light anytime mods out there so depending on what you did, what wires you cut, etc., there could be different results. The fog light anytime mod is a very simple wiring modification, if someting went wrong, you cut the wrong wire and did something you shouldn't have.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #5

i followed the steps on cheap tacoma mods. i spliced into the solid light green wire in the fuse box on the little clip and i ran the wire that i spiced onto a male connector on the fog light relay which was i think the only relay that was vertical if you were standing on the drivers side. it was a simple process on the installation process and i looked over it 1000 times and im positive i did nothing wrong and i had every wire correct.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
Blackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackshirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Can you take a pic and post it showing what relay you tapped into and what wire?
Old 02-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshirts View Post
Can you take a pic and post it showing what relay you tapped into and what wire?
x2, show us what you did if you can. What you did was splice your marker light wire to trigger the fog light relay. It should not have had any affect on your CEL. Check all your fuses. Are your headlights and marker lights functioning properly?
Old 02-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #8

the first photo is the relay i tapped into and the second photo is the wired i tapped into and like i said before i put everything back to the way it was and my fog lights work fine im just worried about the check engine light and traction control light
Attached Thumbnails
fog light anytime problem.-img_1482.jpg   fog light anytime problem.-img_1487.jpg  
Old 02-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
x2, show us what you did if you can. What you did was splice your marker light wire to trigger the fog light relay. It should not have had any affect on your CEL. Check all your fuses. Are your headlights and marker lights functioning properly?
yes everything functions fine its just all the warning lights
Old 02-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
Quebeker
elclem21 is a jewel in the roughelclem21 is a jewel in the roughelclem21 is a jewel in the rough

Canadian Army:
Name: Clément
elclem21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf taco View Post
the first photo is the relay i tapped into and the second photo is the wired i tapped into and like i said before i put everything back to the way it was and my fog lights work fine im just worried about the check engine light and traction control light
Well I also have a 2009 DCLB and did this mod. It is working just like it is supposed to. You are pointing at the right relay, and the light green wire you taped in is the good one.

Check the fuses, this would be 1 thing to start with. The battery disconnect would also be a good thing to do if you found nothing. Wish you good luck with the troubleshooting.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by elclem21 View Post
Well I also have a 2009 DCLB and did this mod. It is working just like it is supposed to. You are pointing at the right relay, and the light green wire you taped in is the good one.

Check the fuses, this would be 1 thing to start with. The battery disconnect would also be a good thing to do if you found nothing. Wish you good luck with the troubleshooting.
thats why im so confused i knew i had everything right.... oh well
Old 02-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #12

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Jeez, looks like you have everything correct. Do you have a test light? If so, check that green wire, it should become 'hot when you turn your parking lights on (just to make sure you have the correct green wire). Otherwise, like said above, disconnect the battery for 20 minutes to let the ECU reset itself. Have you done any other work to the truck recently?
Old 02-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #13

i just reset the battery and all the lights turned off thank god lol so now im wondering why the mod didnt work and no i havent done any recent mods that would effect that. ive only done led reverse lights recently.
EDIT: no i dont have a test light
Old 02-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #14
monsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monsterkx2fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
I think its the fuse thats a 10a inside the truck behind the coin holder.
2nd row first one on the left or second. Check it

Nevermind looks like you got it
Old 02-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #15
Glad your warning lights turned off. Try again maybe wires touched a metal contact and shorted it out.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #17
Fog fuse under dash.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #19

weirdest thing...checked the fuses and eveything was fine. so i just re-did the mod and now everything works with no warning lights or anything. really weird but im glad its working!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #20

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
weirdest thing...checked the fuses and eveything was fine. so i just re-did the mod and now everything works with no warning lights or anything. really weird but im glad its working!
If you hooked everything up when the wires were live, something might have touched that shouldn't have. Could just be a weird anomoly, just keep an eye on everything for a few days.