1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need suggestions on what to do with my lights.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Jay-Hawks, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Feb 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM
    Jay-Hawks

Jay-Hawks [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Galveston
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner TRD 4X2
    Tube Step, Leather interior, XM, Bed Extender, Tinted Windows, Dynolock
    Little history of what I have done so far with my lights and how I got to where I am today.

About two years ago I bought an HID kit from someone on TW (not going to mention names). I bought the headlight and fog light kit and I had them professionally installed. Everything worked well for about 9 months and then I started blowing ballasts. The first two ballasts were replaced under the warranty but the next three were after the first year and I had to pay to replace them. We also replaced the wiring harness to make sure that wasn't the problem. After the first nine months I would have to say that at least half the time I have had at least one of the four bulbs out and to say I was getting pissed was an understatement. When the latest ballast went out I sent a message about buying another one and never received a reply so I decided that I needed to look elsewhere.

After reading around on TW I decided to go with the Retrofit Source and I purchased a new wire harness (control module) and two new ballasts to drive my headlights. I figured I would l let the fogs go until they died and then replace them. In installed the new equipment and found that my old bulbs wont really work with the new system because of the high beam connection not being the same and I would probably need to replace the bulbs. In the week since I started using the new ballasts with the old bulbs my passengers side went out and I think at this point the bulb has burnt out because I can take the ballasts and use it on the other headlight and it works fine.

This is where I am today, now what to do. The reason I'm asking for suggestions is I have some other issues with my lights that I thought now might be the right time to address. Like many my day time running lights have melted the headlight casing and it looks pretty bad so I thought I might want to go ahead and get a new headlight fixture but not sure what to get. If I get a new headlights my thought would be to get something that has an HID projector in them to use with my HID's and get the proper bulbs for the projector but I haven't found anything like that. If I go on the cheap side I could just buy two new bulbs and place them in my OEM headlights without projectors.

I'm honestly leaning towards going the cheaper route and just get the bulbs because I'm tired of spending money on my headlights. What was supposed to cost me around $300 has resulted in more than double that and I still don't have fully functional headlights. I think if I had it to do all over again I would have just replaced my stock bulbs and never done the HID's but since I have already dumped a bunch into this I figure I should get it to work.

Any suggestions or comments?

2. Feb 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I think if I were at the point you're at, I'd either go back to stock halogen bulbs or do a complete retrofit kit with quality ballasts and bulbs (not to mention I hate plug and play HID kits because I think it's obnoxious and inconsiderate to use on the road). I went with a retrofit and it was a huge improvement over stock lighting, I won't go back.

3. Feb 14, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    Back to stock.

Products Discussed in

To Top