Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HIDs with factory headlights

Old 02-17-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
TacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: tony
TacoTony's Tacoma Gallery
HIDs with factory headlights

Ok so I wanna run HIDs with my factory headlights but I've heard it might melt the lens, is it possible the run them like this?
Old 02-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #2
Defend Hawaii
HIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIst8ofMIND is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: PJ
HIst8ofMIND's Tacoma Gallery
Please don't. Unless you do a retrofit. Please don't run HID on the stock housing.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
TacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: tony
TacoTony's Tacoma Gallery
Good to know man, thanks
Old 02-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
Certified Mall Crawling Instructor
Swank is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwank is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwank is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwank is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwank is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwank is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwank is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwank is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwank is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwank is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwank is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
Name: Steven
Swank's Tacoma Gallery
If it's any help, I'm running them with my headlights I bought off ebay, pretty sure they are cheaper made than the OEM ones, no issues with them though.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:41 AM   #5
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Theretrofitsource if the best place to buy them. They are very high quality and come with a 4 year warranty.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
09DBLCAB09 is on a distinguished road
09DBLCAB09's Tacoma Gallery
I have 55w in my stock headlights. Been running them for almost a year. 0 problems
Old 02-18-2013, 12:53 AM   #7
RipVanDango is on a distinguished road
Marines: 1st MLG, Engineer Maint. Co. (04-08)
Name: Cody
RipVanDango's Tacoma Gallery
I think he (2tone33) is talking about using projectors over actual problems with the stock housing because it's, "offensive" to other drivers. Feel free to correct me of I'm confused.

I run mine in the stock housing too with no problems. It's actually not that bad, they can be aimed to not blind people. I don't get brights flashed at me.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:56 AM   #8
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
So you say
I'd do projectors over the stock housings anyway OP, if you're wanting to spend money to get more light output, spend a bit more and do it all the way. Save yourself a having to worry about blinding oncoming traffic and just put all the light you want on the road where you need it
Old 02-18-2013, 01:37 AM   #9
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tone33 View Post
Ok so I wanna run HIDs with my factory headlights but I've heard it might melt the lens, is it possible the run them like this?
35 watt will be fine......prolly even 55 watt.
55 is insanely overkill for onroad use without projectors tho.

Remember, 4300k to 5000k is a good range, and id never go above 6000k....the bluer the less output, and the worse visability.

Keep in mind that no OEM manufacturers send out vehicles with blue hid lights (6000k and above).....they are standardized 4300k philips bulbs, but the projector causes them to look blue to oncoming traffic within the cutoff line.

Im not getting into any projector vs oem housing debate.....just giving u a lil info, since ppl like to think 8000K is brighter than 4300K just cuz its a higher number...in fact tho, the higher the number, the bluer it is and the less output.

Happy hunting