Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

What the hell am I looking at here? (Wiring Help)

Old 02-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #41
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
yep thats the fuse.

30amps is way to much head room lol

10 would be the largest id put in there.

a 7.5 or 8 would be ideal.
Is it bad to have a larger amperage? Does that mean it takes more to "set the fuse off" so that is stops a fire or overheating (if that's how it works).

Matt
Old 02-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #42
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
Is it bad to have a larger amperage? Does that mean it takes more to "set the fuse off" so that is stops a fire or overheating (if that's how it works).

Matt

yea fuses are designed to stop electrical fires and melting stuff.

But they also protect whatever you have attached. If for some reason the wire arced out somewhere down the wire the LEDs would be exposed to a huge amp spike which could cause some bad damage to the bar. Having the fuse at 7.5 means it'll pop sooner if there is an arc out thus most likely saving the LED bar..and the truck ha but in this case, a 30 amp fuse would save your truck easy, but could cause damage to the LEDs.

its cheap issuance to just grab some 7.5 fuses.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #43
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
yea fuses are designed to stop electrical fires and melting stuff.

But they also protect whatever you have attached. If for some reason the wire arced out somewhere down the wire the LEDs would be exposed to a huge amp spike which could cause some bad damage to the bar. Having the fuse at 7.5 means it'll pop sooner if there is an arc out thus most likely saving the LED bar..and the truck ha but in this case, a 30 amp fuse would save your truck easy, but could cause damage to the LEDs.

its cheap issuance to just grab some 7.5 fuses.
Do the fuses just pop out on this type of box? Any special places to squeeze it or anything? I think I'll grab a 7.5 or something when I go to get the crimpers and connecters.

Matt
Old 02-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #45
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Just pinch the top and pull it out, use pliers if you have to. Fuses are ridiculously cheap.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #46

Firefighter:
Ok. I will probably head out tomorrow and see if I can get all the right tools for the job.

Thank you very much to both of you, I probably wouldn't haven't figured it out on my own.

Matt
Old 02-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #47
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
No worries, I remember when I wired up my first set of lights, I was in the same place.