Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Need some advice with running wires / switch

Old 02-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Need some advice with running wires / switch

I have a Blitzpro 21S I'm going to be mounting behind my grill soon and I have a OKLEDLIGHTBAR pre-made wiring harness. I would ideally like to have my switch in the cab, but the wiring harness is made so that the switch is already attached to the wire and therefore is pretty much impossible to run through the large rubber grommet in the driver's side engine compartment. I can't really drill a hole in the firewall and put a smaller rubber grommet because the switch still has to go through, and if the grommet is big enough to fit the switch through, it kind of defeats the purpose of even worrying about sealing the hole.

So, I'm kind of at my wit's end here trying to figure out how to run this switch into the cab. Any advice?

This is the wiring harness I have (switch on left side)

Matt
Old 02-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
How would I reattach the switch? I want to try and take apart the switch to see how the wire is in there, but I don't to really break it because then I'm screwed.

I also don't even know how I would run the wire even without the switch, because I tried to stick just a zip tie through the rubber grommet, and I couldn't make it past like 3 inches. Can I just do what a lot of people do and just sharpen a coat hanger and poke a small hole in the grommet to run the wire through? I'm not sure about doing that because I don't want to poke any of the existing wires.

Matt
Old 02-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Got a pic of the harness apart? Like strung out. My PIAA harnness switch is just like that and I could still run it through no problem.

I bet you can run the wire from the harness through the fire wall instead of the switch and it's short wire. The switch and the short wire it has is just so you have a nice looking insulated black wire for when you mount the switch. I'm willing to bet that the wire that the switch connects to is rather long.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Got a pic of the harness apart? Like strung out. My PIAA harnness switch is just like that and I could still run it through no problem.

I bet you can run the wire from the harness through the fire wall instead of the switch and it's short wire. The switch and the short wire it has is just so you have a nice looking insulated black wire for when you mount the switch. I'm willing to bet that the wire that the switch connects to is rather long.
x2. I bet the other end of that black and white wire with the harness on it is plain wire.

In any case, if I had to, i'd just cut the wire somewhere in the middle, run it through, and then solder it back together. It's a switch... it's just going to have 2 wires on it to keep straight, or maybe 4 if it also has a light on it.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #6

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
x2. I bet the other end of that black and white wire with the harness on it is plain wire.

In any case, if I had to, i'd just cut the wire somewhere in the middle, run it through, and then solder it back together. It's a switch... it's just going to have 2 wires on it to keep straight, or maybe 4 if it also has a light on it.
No soldering skills. I may just take it back to my local truck shop (who helped put the right connecters on the harness for $30 once I mangled it trying to do it myself and see what they can do for me) I think I'm just going to wait till I get my Elusive Elements bracket and actually get the light mounted to see how I can run it or what they can do for me.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Matt
Old 03-01-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
Man soldering is really easy, but you could also just use a couple of wire nuts. Whatever you wanna do though.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
Airdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AD3 86-89 VX-5 China Lake
Name: Tom
Airdog's Tacoma Gallery
The wires that go into the white plugs can be extracted from the plug. Ussually the pins inside the plugs have a little barb that keep them inside. You can usually push the wires forward and use a small screw driver to push the barb down and pull the wire out at the same time. I cant tell from the pics but some plugs even have the barb exposed thru the plug so you just push on it thru the slot and pull the wire out.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GTABurnout's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same harness, I was able to run the connector that connects tot the switch harness thru the large grommet on the drivers side. It was a battle, but with two people you can get it thru there. Then just hook up the harness with the switch from there.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #10
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I cut off the white connector, ran the wires through the firwall's rubber boot, then soldered the wires back together. If you are afraid to solder then juse use wire crimps.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #11
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
How would I reattach the switch? I want to try and take apart the switch to see how the wire is in there, but I don't to really break it because then I'm screwed.

I also don't even know how I would run the wire even without the switch, because I tried to stick just a zip tie through the rubber grommet, and I couldn't make it past like 3 inches. Can I just do what a lot of people do and just sharpen a coat hanger and poke a small hole in the grommet to run the wire through? I'm not sure about doing that because I don't want to poke any of the existing wires.

Matt
We have done this several times on other Tacoma trucks. Take a short section of metal coat hanger and bend one end into a small hook. Then CAREFULLY slip it through and existing grommet in the firewall, making sure that you slip it along the side of the wires, and through the same hole. Then hook the connector end of the switch (The white piece) over the loop, and gently pull through. The grommet will reform back to the original size, sealing this additional wire along with the factor wires.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
silver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
silver taco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah you gotta use a coat hanger or equivalent. A zip tie isnt rigid enough. And like above poster said if you cant solder, just crimp them.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
We have done this several times on other Tacoma trucks. Take a short section of metal coat hanger and bend one end into a small hook. Then CAREFULLY slip it through and existing grommet in the firewall, making sure that you slip it along the side of the wires, and through the same hole. Then hook the connector end of the switch (The white piece) over the loop, and gently pull through. The grommet will reform back to the original size, sealing this additional wire along with the factor wires.
man, why didn't I think of that, I just poked a small hole in the grommet, knowledge is power
Old 03-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I keep an unbent coat hangar in the garage at all times...haha Ive used it idk how many times!
Old 03-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #15

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
So you put it through this part of the grommet in the engine compartment, correct?

Then it came out of this grommet (behind parking brake pedal) in the cab? Or is there another place that the grommet in the engine compartment goes?

Matt
Old 03-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
So you put it through this part of the grommet in the engine compartment, correct?

Then it came out of this grommet (behind parking brake pedal) in the cab? Or is there another place that the grommet in the engine compartment goes?

Matt
Yeah i think that's what he's talking about
Old 03-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #17
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
That's it exactly!
Old 03-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #18
Dantwenty2 is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Dantwenty2's Tacoma Gallery
That is exactly how I wired my bed mounted rigid Duallys. Once you get the wire in the cab just run it under the steering column across to the area below the AC controls. That is what I did at least.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #19

Firefighter:
Ok, I just went out there with a coat hanger and everything and tried to push the switch through. How in the hell did you guys push through that grommet? It's completely around the wires in the engine compartment, and forget about pushing that inch wide switch through to the cab grommet, there is absolutely no space in the grommet in the cab.

I'm getting pretty damn frustrated because it seems like so many people are running aux lights, but I have no fucking idea how you guys ran the wires.

Matt