1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just received Scorpion LED 50w LED floods!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by DevL, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Mar 1, 2013 at 9:55 PM
    DevL

DevL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am having a custom front bumper made by Relentless Fab to house Scorpion 50w LED floods in the fog light poisition. I requested something with less blue and closer to absoloute white. I was looking for a complete flood of even light to be spread over as wide an area as possible. I wanted up and down for terrain like hills, trees, seeing up a trail while pointed down hill etc. This was my close range solution only. I did not want to use any more power than a 55w halogen light but wanted a LOT more power and also wanted to be able to connect the light up to police lights to be used as strobes since a future HID projector retro will kill my ability to use the headlight to mount strobes.

I have only just received them and hooked up one to my battery and WOW! This thing throws the purest, most even flood beam imaginable! Its got to be 60 degrees or more wide. I had them build be a special 5100K version instead of their standard 5660K beam temperature. It has 64 LEDs arranged in an 8x8 pattern. The light output is COMPLETELY WHITE, without the slightest hint of blue. Since it uses a combination of a reflector and a glass optic it has a slight tinge of yellow at the edges, from the optic. Seems to light up everything inside 50m like it is day. Lights up things to 100m enough to see. Its good at illuminating relfectors and the eyes of animals at 200m.

Now this is a FLOOD beam, no question. It produces PERFECTLY EVEN LIGHT across the entire beam width with no artifacts, bright spots, or dim spots. It does not do crap other than illuminate eyes and reflectors at 200m and is only impressively bright inside 50m. For use as a strobe it will be super overkill. Its like having a police spotlight in your face at pretty much any angle or range. It may be too wide and too bright to be strobed... to the observer on the other end it is blinding to a ridiculous degree if left on continuously.

I dont have any pics yet since I just got them but will certainly get some up once the bumper gets built; however, I am super impressed with them. The entire housing and front ring is super heavy billet aluminum. The entire light is 100% water proof and built from a single block of aluminum. The wiring has all waterproof connectors and it is incredibly well built.

It looks like these lights are only less than a half inch wider than the stock fogs, maybe less. I am poistive you could mount them in place of the factory fog lights with a custom mounting solution, though I think these are best mounted 10-15 degrees canted out to the sides. They certainly seem to be putting out the claimed 5400 Lumens each. If you have considered Scorpion LED and are looking for FLOOD light, I highly reccomend them. Makes me sort of wish I bought the 109w version, although I know that is overkill and not suitable for use inside a bumper while not moving (those require 5mph wind exposure).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  2. Jan 27, 2015 at 8:31 AM
    tacocolin

tacocolin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Cloudcroft New Mexico.
    Vehicle:
    Kevin's (ATO) bad ass rig he built
    Everything Kevin from ATO did on his... and then some. LOL
    So did you ever take any pictures?

3. Jan 27, 2015 at 11:36 AM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Never heard of scorpion, and can't find any search results in fact. Also confused why a light would require 5mph wind exposure??

Links and pics plz, or it didn't happen;)

4. Jan 27, 2015 at 1:58 PM
    tacocolin

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Cloudcroft New Mexico.
    Vehicle:

I actually have the 109w set on my FJ, but I wanted to see pix of his 50s. Looks like the website just got taken down this week. Not sure what happened, I'm guessing the price point killed them. Great lights, very very wide beam and so smooth! I'm not sure about the lumen count, (because of the wide flood they seam to be less, but I'm sure right at the lens they are bright as shit!) Here are few pix of mine.

Oh and the 109w ones can warm up a burrito a few feet away if you don't have a some wind going over them. LOL - As My good friend Alex says.

[​IMG]IMG_6494 by Captures by Colin, on Flickr

[​IMG]20150122_141613 by Captures by Colin, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_6405 by Captures by Colin, on Flickr

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  5. Jan 27, 2015 at 4:12 PM
    tacocolin

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Cloudcroft New Mexico.
    Vehicle:

Here is a link to his old video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4e_NiRcaGw

6. Jan 27, 2015 at 4:47 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Oh ok those look pretty interesting actually. So I'm guessing the bigger ones can only be ran while driving cuz they would get too hot? Idk. Design seems like it could've been enhanced a little more. Doesn't look like there's a reflector in there. Just a glass projector lens in front? But, bummer. Looks like they are no longer in business then? My brother was looking for something like this for his fog light replacement on his Kia soul. He's probly getting a rally light bar up front with some 4.5" led spot cannons like I got for my truck, which are replicas of the vision x cannons. Those things are crazy too!! I have yet to install mine. But I've got flood covers for them so curious how they do. The light itself with no cover, spot beam, is pretty insane. They have a pretty wide throw even though they are spots. But nothing like these scorpion ones. I have a few bars, different lengths, of the vision x evo prime replicas, which are mostly flood as well as some combos and it came out to a super wide, nice and even spread of light with no hot spots. Looks like you could get the same affect with a few of these! Hmmm..

7. Jan 28, 2015 at 6:25 AM
    Icepuck72

Icepuck72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC TRD
    OME 885's, Dakars, TRD Trail Edition Wheels, 285x75x16 Goodyear Duratracs, Magnaflow 12256 muffler, Fog Light mod, 2 Baby seats
    Did some more digging, found some links on the FJ forums...all links posted are dead or gone. From their discussions, they were like 500 bucks a light.

8. Jan 28, 2015 at 10:29 AM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    That's retawded. You can get more light from a series of small flood lights.. Or just projectors themselves. The vision x knock off cannons put out about the same light from the reflector spill, also have the pencil spot beam, with all kinds of covers, and are less than half that price for a pair. With 4 of the cannons for the same price as 2 of these, you'll have way more light... Although they are pretty nice, but not for that price. That's probly why they are no more. There's better alternatives.

9. Jan 28, 2015 at 11:03 AM
    tacocolin

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Cloudcroft New Mexico.
    Vehicle:
    I have run some vision x clone light cannons as well. They did put out more distance then these. The scorpions are great for an amazing flood pattern, very very smooth and bright, but not good for distance, where the cannons were just the opposite.

Here is a test by the prev. owner of my FJ who put them on. http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/lighting/313058-testing-new-scorpion-led-spot-light.html

[​IMG]20140806_123518 by Captures by Colin, on Flickr

[​IMG]20140806_123547 by Captures by Colin, on Flickr

10. Jan 28, 2015 at 12:30 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Oh I thought he was doing the cannons. But yeah that was a great comparison! And much better pics of those scorpions, of the actual light and the output. I see that there is in fact a reflector inside. And it does look pretty badass now that I've seen how well they light up. Maybe we'll see some fleabay China clones of these in due time.

I'd also ask for output shots if you had any of the cannons. But I'll be mounting mine up probably Monday. I've already lit them up hooking them to the battery real quick, and I'm really impressed. But I think I may have to upgrade some 65 watters down the road.

11. Jan 28, 2015 at 12:51 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Actually, whenever you get back OP...... Where did you purchase them? And for how much!? Seeing as you said you just received them.. I might consider getting these for ditch lights in the future and remount the cannons in the middle of my bumper, whenever I get around to getting an aftermarket bumper that is.. Granted, if it won't be a grand for a pair that is.. Idk tho.. I have a perfect spread of light already with my current setup. I hate to change it. But I'm always on the lookout for the next best thing. Shits making me go broke, lol.

12. Jan 28, 2015 at 3:18 PM
    tacocolin

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Cloudcroft New Mexico.
    Vehicle:

His post was very old, sorry but I don't think you will be finding any new ones any more. I was going to mount mine as ditch lights up on the hood cowl, but they are too heavy and the mounting bold its huge! LOL So I just turned mine sideways. Let me see if I can upload a video of mine.

13. Jan 28, 2015 at 3:27 PM
    tacocolin

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Cloudcroft New Mexico.
    Vehicle:
  14. Jan 28, 2015 at 3:29 PM
    tacocolin

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Cloudcroft New Mexico.
    Vehicle:
    Here is a older video of the light cannons, it really doesnt show them off tho. th_20140806_2313461_zpsonthfcys_caf729342542d56b3a71805669c6fa7f71c6d592.jpg

15. Jan 28, 2015 at 6:34 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Oh I didn't even notice that. Lol. Darn. Well I'm sure I'll be more than happy with these cannons. I already have a ton of light. And I need to invest in other needed things for my truck rather than buy even more expensive lights, lol. Do you have any output shots of all your lights on? I can't view your vids on my phone but I'll check when I get home.

But yeah that 20" sounds nice. I would like to see a double row full size like 42" with the 10watt crees:D Although Idk if that's possible hence they only have the 20"ers. All my bars are those, the vision x evo prime Cree knock offs.
    42"
    20"
    Two 8".
    Produces a sweet even spread of light. I love em.

16. Feb 3, 2015 at 9:10 PM
    Chas of MRT

Chas of MRT Total Automotive Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Chas
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra V8
    Airaid Bilstein

I'd like to see a comparison between his vision x ones and your mrt ones. Same luminus led but different board and material. I think they have a different driver as well but it's pricey stuff.

17. Feb 3, 2015 at 9:12 PM
    Chas of MRT

Member:
    First Name:
    Chas
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra V8
    Airaid Bilstein
    Have you figured out where you can mount the bigger ones toe?? Want you to try the 6" ones

18. Feb 3, 2015 at 11:19 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Well, they would be in place of these 4.5" ones I guess. I would probably hand the 4.5" ones over to my brother, for a price, heh. He has been wanting some of the vision x's for his vehicle, and was excited when I showed him these. I had to convince him that they weren't actual vision x's lol. They might as well be though.

But idk, I've already got so many lights, I'm out of places to mount, lol. So yeah I'd be swapping.

See, where the hell am I gonna mount more? lol. I guess I could do a satoshi grille and mount behind that! haha, but naw, I'm officially donw with adding more. ;)
    DSCF3598_zpskzbhggjk_524ea5280cd1761f7ad6f21d8fe4f614e3382ece.jpg

19. Feb 3, 2015 at 11:23 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Oh and another thing, there's kinda an issue, mounting them on cbi ditch brackets... Before you start considering including them as an option. I'll have to figure out what I need to do, as far as relocating the antenna, but yeah, the light sits smack dab right against the antenna. I'm not sure the 6.5" ones will fit until I relocate my antenna:(
    For now its good. Maybe put a rubber sleeve over it so it doesnt rub the paint off wiggling around in the wind and bumps, but yeah, that was a bit disappointing.. But I'm sure there's a way to mount a new radio antenna. Another project yay!!:)

20. Feb 4, 2015 at 9:32 AM
    Chas of MRT

Member:
    First Name:
    Chas
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra V8
    Airaid Bilstein
    Looks like you need a front bumper with extra light tabs on it ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top