Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

eBay Headlights for FX-R Retrofit

Old 03-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
WickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran of 1st Battalion 3rd Marines
Name: Aaron
WickedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
eBay Headlights for FX-R Retrofit

Hey Guys,

I've been feverishly researching our forum, HID planet, and others for a DIYs and reviews for my upcoming diy TRS FX-R retrofit. My question is; have any of you experience with retrofitting eBay headlights? Also, if you have experience; how's the fit and finish of the eBay headlights? I know we get what we pay for, but having no experience retrofitting, I'm a wuss when I think of the possibility of ruining my stock headlights and if eBay headlights are of ok quality and aren't so cheap that they'd melt in the oven then hell; why not? Here's a pic and link to the headlights I'm looking at. I know you guys will have very valuable advice, that's why I LOVE our forum, and I thank you guys in advance or any guidance you have for me.

Aaron

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-05-11-...d3de62&vxp=mtr
Attached Thumbnails
eBay Headlights for FX-R Retrofit-imageuploadedbytapatalk-hd1362240401.349808.jpg  
Old 03-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricky
Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
Don't do it. The clear coat will start peeling off the headlights in a few months and they will look like crap. I've bought 2 pairs and they both have done it. Not to mention you will have to reseal them. Just look for a used pair around here. They generally go for the same price as new aftermarket ones.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat Popcorn View Post
Don't do it. The clear coat will start peeling off the headlights in a few months and they will look like crap. I've bought 2 pairs and they both have done it. Not to mention you will have to reseal them. Just look for a used pair around here. They generally go for the same price as new aftermarket ones.
Thats intresting..

I bought a used pair of OEM headlights and they turned out perfectly

Going to clean and wax them eventually so i dont have to worry about oxidation.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by drade View Post
Yeah, OEM, not aftermarket. They are talking about aftermarket lights, not OEM....
Yeah i know.

I was inputting my experience with OEM, guess it was a little vague there.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
WickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedWickedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That's the first hand experience I was looking for! Thanks, a shitload, Rick. You just saved me $$$. I've searched here and google for days and haven't found step by step on the FX-R retro. Tons on the minis though. Which leads to my next question. Do you, or any of you other guys out there, know of a good DIY guide and/or a solid how to walk through for FX-R retros on our lights? Like how big to cut the hole in the bowl or how to horizontally align the projectors?
Old 03-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedTaco View Post
That's the first hand experience I was looking for! Thanks, a shitload, Rick. You just saved me $$$. I've searched here and google for days and haven't found step by step on the FX-R retro. Tons on the minis though. Which leads to my next question. Do you, or any of you other guys out there, know of a good DIY guide and/or a solid how to walk through for FX-R retros on our lights? Like how big to cut the hole in the bowl or how to horizontally align the projectors?
I have the H1 mini's and when i was looking for guides, i thought i stumbled upon a FX-R guide let me do some searching and i'll get back to ya.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
I have the H1 mini's and when i was looking for guides, i thought i stumbled upon a FX-R guide let me do some searching and i'll get back to ya.
Thanks, brother!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdog View Post
Thanks, brother, I'll add this to my arsenal. I would probably destroy mine with a Dremel though. I read somewhere that a hole saw was used on taco bowl. Hopefully someone can chime in on that as well.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
if you cant get your hands on a set of OEM or used OEM in great condition, i would go for DEPO brand aftermarket ones. dont do the ebay stuff.
Thanks, brother, I'll check em out!
Old 03-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-complete.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...tor-retro.html

Eh, sorta but not really guides, they skip around but combining these with the PDF should get you started at the very least
I've seen these, but thanks for your research, brother! All considered!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #16
thebaker has a spectacular aura aboutthebaker has a spectacular aura aboutthebaker has a spectacular aura about

Name: Byron
thebaker's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a set of depo headlights off of amazon. I'm to afraid to mess up my oem set so had to get some depos just in case.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaker View Post
I bought a set of depo headlights off of amazon. I'm to afraid to mess up my oem set so had to get some depos just in case.
So how did they turn out? Pics? Now that you've done it, would you say it was easy enough to do it on your stocks with confidence?
Old 03-05-2013, 03:54 AM   #18
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
The depo or tyc brands are about $100 per set shipped on amazon. Do the retros in those, then sell your OEM lights. Are they the smoked or chrome bezels? If they are smoked, those usually go for a little more, so you can recoup some of your cost of the retros.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
The depo or tyc brands are about $100 per set shipped on amazon. Do the retros in those, then sell your OEM lights. Are they the smoked or chrome bezels? If they are smoked, those usually go for a little more, so you can recoup some of your cost of the retros.
I have the smoked bezels. Hopefully, I can find the smoked ones in those brands. I like those the best and I'm not a fan of the bhlm or the chrome at all.