Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Brake Modulator

Old 03-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
ajbringle is on a distinguished road

ajbringle's Tacoma Gallery
Brake Modulator

Hey all,

First post. Just joined after getting stumped on an install. I am trying to install a brake light modulator and after some research and some poking around with my meter, I cut the blue wire in the driver side kick panel that showed +12v when applying the brake and 0V without.

I wired the modulator according to directions and only the left brake light blinked, the high stop and right side were out totally.

I was messing round and applying +12 to the other side of the wire (the supposed hot side coming from the brake switch) and the high and right stop lights came on.

I understood that all I had to do was cut the blue wire (+12) from the brake switch and tie in the modulator I bought. I tied into the wire in the kick panel as opposed to at the brake light switch itself because its was easier then trying to remove the switch and get slack enough to work on it.

Any thoughts as to why it didn't work. I was thinking that the blue wire is the incorrect one at first, but now im just lost.

I have a 2010 w/ the stock led tail lights.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:59 AM   #2
ajbringle is on a distinguished road

ajbringle's Tacoma Gallery
guess the best question is what wire is the +12v to the brakelights, and where is the best place to access it along the drivers side wire harness.

thanks for any help in advance.