1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Retrofit Questions

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by shaneckc, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Mar 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM
    shaneckc

shaneckc [OP] Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    I have recently acquired a pair of factory headlights which I plan on retrofitting a projector lens into for more effective and custom headlights. I've seen a lot of great retrofits from members on this forum, and I just wanted to ask a few questions.

What exactly should I buy for my retrofit?
    I plan on ordering from TRS, but I'm not exactly sure which kit I should use. I can get HID ballasts for cost through the shop that I work at, but I'm not sure what is the best route to take in terms of the other parts. I've come to understand that the mini kits (H1 and D2S) are easier to work with, but I'm curious to know how much of a difference a full sized kit will make. I'm a fairly competent fabricator, so I have no problem installing the larger kit if it is indeed worth the extra money.

Any kind of 'heads up' anyone who has done this before can offer?
    I get the gist of the installation process for these projectors, but I'm not 100% sure of how most of you fastened the projector lens to the reflector bowl.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Mar 5, 2013 at 12:39 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bunch of people with mini kits have finicky high beam operation. Solenoids not so great on the minis. Its why I am sure yo go FXR or TL for the retro. What good is your projector if it is not reliable?

3. Mar 5, 2013 at 12:49 AM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    Go with the fxr 3" biggest projector you can get in there and the light output is crazy good. I'd just call TRS, Andrew will set you up right for parts.

4. Mar 5, 2013 at 1:20 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    ^^^^^ well said

5. Mar 5, 2013 at 1:23 AM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    Here, I would look through this. the H1 and D2S are easier (with still great light output) but the fxr will give you more light if thats what you want. hopefully that can answer some of your questions!

Products Discussed in

To Top