Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Retrofit Questions

Old 03-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
shaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Shane
shaneckc's Tacoma Gallery
Retrofit Questions

I have recently acquired a pair of factory headlights which I plan on retrofitting a projector lens into for more effective and custom headlights. I've seen a lot of great retrofits from members on this forum, and I just wanted to ask a few questions.

What exactly should I buy for my retrofit?
I plan on ordering from TRS, but I'm not exactly sure which kit I should use. I can get HID ballasts for cost through the shop that I work at, but I'm not sure what is the best route to take in terms of the other parts. I've come to understand that the mini kits (H1 and D2S) are easier to work with, but I'm curious to know how much of a difference a full sized kit will make. I'm a fairly competent fabricator, so I have no problem installing the larger kit if it is indeed worth the extra money.

Any kind of 'heads up' anyone who has done this before can offer?
I get the gist of the installation process for these projectors, but I'm not 100% sure of how most of you fastened the projector lens to the reflector bowl.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:39 AM   #2
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Bunch of people with mini kits have finicky high beam operation. Solenoids not so great on the minis. Its why I am sure yo go FXR or TL for the retro. What good is your projector if it is not reliable?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Go with the fxr 3" biggest projector you can get in there and the light output is crazy good. I'd just call TRS, Andrew will set you up right for parts.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:20 AM   #4
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Go with the fxr 3" biggest projector you can get in there and the light output is crazy good. I'd just call TRS, Andrew will set you up right for parts.
^^^^^ well said
Old 03-05-2013, 02:23 AM   #5
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
Here, I would look through this. the H1 and D2S are easier (with still great light output) but the fxr will give you more light if thats what you want. hopefully that can answer some of your questions!