1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best light choice?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ecr6cyl10, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Mar 5, 2013 at 8:24 PM
    ecr6cyl10

ecr6cyl10 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    10 Prerunner Dble Cab Offorad
    Defiant Light bar with 12" LED light bar and 2 Rigid dually floods. 3" Icon lift in the front with TC UCA's and 1.5" add a leaf in the rear [url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/198098/cat/500][img]http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/medium/My_Truck54.jpg[/img][/url]
    I was wounding if you guys knew the best light for desert running? I have had hella's and I broke them flying through the desert at 70 mph. I was looking at Kc Daylighters, Lightforce, or some of the cheaper led light bars. I just need something that has good lighting ability and that can stand up to abuse.

2. Mar 5, 2013 at 8:28 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    u wont break lightforces easy...........u gotta pay to play tho

3. Mar 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM
    ecr6cyl10

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Defiant Light bar with 12" LED light bar and 2 Rigid dually floods. 3" Icon lift in the front with TC UCA's and 1.5" add a leaf in the rear [url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/198098/cat/500][img]http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/medium/My_Truck54.jpg[/img][/url]
  4. Mar 6, 2013 at 3:43 PM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    Hella 4000s. Replace when they break.

5. Mar 6, 2013 at 4:29 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish

But he's trying to stay away from that issue :(

OP id say led lightbar for strength.......but I don't know how far they throw since u play in the desert at speed, that's a concern.

I know my lightforces throw extremely far, and bright.......some have adjustment lenses that u can make spot, or flood by twisting the covers.....others like my genesis have optional lens covers for spot/flood or combo.

Iirc all lightforces offer colored lenses for different conditions.

6. Mar 6, 2013 at 4:42 PM
    Ryan DCFS

Ryan DCFS Elevator guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 DC long bed TRD silver streak
    HID's throw much further than LED's. You will out-run the light from an LED bar much faster than you would out-run most HID's. Lightforce has good lights and warranty/customer service. However they're expensive... but Justus put it right, "you've gotta pay to play."

7. Mar 6, 2013 at 7:18 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish

Thanks for clarifying my thoughts on led......I've never had 1.

8. Mar 6, 2013 at 7:27 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    like others lightforces i hear are good. and throw light far.

I’m wanting to go LED rout, don’t think i’d ever out run the light. Don’t have much high speed around here fasted id probably ever go is 40 or so.

9. Mar 9, 2013 at 7:04 PM
    ecr6cyl10

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Does anyone know how well plashlights led light bars are?

10. Mar 11, 2013 at 8:00 AM
    Spencer

Spencer Future President

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Upland, Chino... all of 909.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 6cyl Sex Machine
    Redline hood lift, Flyzeye cabin lights, tailgate lock, SPOD Power block, VIAR onboard air, Cobra CB radio, Firestick 4' Antenna, Hot Blonde CoPilot Mod, SIX 9" Hella 4000 HID conversion with external 55W ballasts, Six 6" LED bars, Napier Bed Tent, Mudflaps delete using rocks, Roof rack by Brute force, Rock sliders by Brute force, Bed LED lights, Underhood LED automatic lights, Constant 12V bed plug, Rugged race radio, ICON uniball UCA's, KING 2.5 700 rate coilovers, Deaver rear leaf springs, KING 2.5 resi rear shocks (Flat 0.15 stack on compression shims), Scangauge, Empty wallet Mod Bug disease, AllPro Apex front bumper, On board heat exchange shower & water pump (Heater Core intercept mod), On Board Air - Viair for now, ARB when it dies-, allpro Skids back to gas tank- Tepui RTT on the shittiest "Bed Rack" ever made.... AllPro U Bolt flip kit with timbren bumps NEXT UP- expo leafs & bed rack, hydraulic bumps in rear, Total Chaos stock LCA's w/ Bypass, Rear 12" shock hoop relocate
    Hellas aren't cheap and you broke em. I picked up five of those big ass china made 9" HID's at a show this weekend for about 70$ each.

Agreed, they're not of the ideal quality.
    But
    They're cheap enough for the salesman to give me a warranty on em to replace when I rattle a bulb out etc and while agreed the optics can't be that good or maybe not even on par with a high end light,

I got three spots and two floods with a warranty for roughly what one very good hid would run.
    You can't tell me the amount of light per dollar I got will compare with quality that you broke off already
    :)
    There's my two cents

11. Mar 11, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    davidpick

davidpick NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    Weber 32/36, RV Cam, LCE exhaust headers, Desmogged
    lightforce.

my two 170s completely wash out my retrofitted HID headlights. the first time i turned them on, i thought my headlights turned off.

12. Mar 11, 2013 at 8:37 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    OP, probably the two high end choices for racers is LightForce and another company in Soca, Baja Designs, the big 240 LF Blitzes, there is no way to out run these lights, not in your truck at least, the LF's also come smaller in the 170 and 140 Genesis. The HID versions, having seen these in person? Very, very bright. A four light combo with two middle spots and two outer floods is a good way to go. But also as others have said, VERY expensive.
    Perhaps you may consider a roof-top rack? Keeps the lights out of harm's way and gives you a better throw anyways. Baja Designs makes plug n play racks with the lights mounted in them. One version comes hinged with struts so you can fold it back and flat when not needed. Again, VERY expensive but for what you want to do it's worth the investment. Not seeing everything at speed puts your truck and your life at risk, why not do the best?
    LEDs are evolving, there are newer technologies that are coming online but have not fully worked their way into the market yet, the prices are steep for the best gear. IMO, i still don't think they can take the place of some really good spots. I think they are great for intermediate flood fill and I would love to have some to augment my four spots on my truck.

13. Mar 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM
    davidpick

davidpick NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    Weber 32/36, RV Cam, LCE exhaust headers, Desmogged
  14. Mar 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
  15. Mar 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
  16. Mar 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM
    Spencer

Spencer Future President

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Upland, Chino... all of 909.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 6cyl Sex Machine
    Redline hood lift, Flyzeye cabin lights, tailgate lock, SPOD Power block, VIAR onboard air, Cobra CB radio, Firestick 4' Antenna, Hot Blonde CoPilot Mod, SIX 9" Hella 4000 HID conversion with external 55W ballasts, Six 6" LED bars, Napier Bed Tent, Mudflaps delete using rocks, Roof rack by Brute force, Rock sliders by Brute force, Bed LED lights, Underhood LED automatic lights, Constant 12V bed plug, Rugged race radio, ICON uniball UCA's, KING 2.5 700 rate coilovers, Deaver rear leaf springs, KING 2.5 resi rear shocks (Flat 0.15 stack on compression shims), Scangauge, Empty wallet Mod Bug disease, AllPro Apex front bumper, On board heat exchange shower & water pump (Heater Core intercept mod), On Board Air - Viair for now, ARB when it dies-, allpro Skids back to gas tank- Tepui RTT on the shittiest "Bed Rack" ever made.... AllPro U Bolt flip kit with timbren bumps NEXT UP- expo leafs & bed rack, hydraulic bumps in rear, Total Chaos stock LCA's w/ Bypass, Rear 12" shock hoop relocate
    Lol. Well call it what you will, I snagged these for 80 a piece. 9"HID's & they're brighter than a motherf***

Got three spots and two floods
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363232965.089961.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363232983.154540.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363232996.022136.jpg

Just turned on the spot and it lit up a power pole a quarter mile away.

The guy I got it from has about ten left.
    I know I'll have to do some work to remove em & waterproof the gasket from what I hear but hey. I'm broke. They're bright and I can break these just as easily as your 500$ HID's.
    if you want the dudes info look up outlaw LED's
    :)

Products Discussed in

To Top