Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Best light choice?

Old 03-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
ecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of lightecr6cyl10 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Eddy
ecr6cyl10's Tacoma Gallery
Best light choice?

I was wounding if you guys knew the best light for desert running? I have had hella's and I broke them flying through the desert at 70 mph. I was looking at Kc Daylighters, Lightforce, or some of the cheaper led light bars. I just need something that has good lighting ability and that can stand up to abuse.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
u wont break lightforces easy...........u gotta pay to play tho
Old 03-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
Hella 4000s. Replace when they break.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifenix View Post
Hella 4000s. Replace when they break.

But he's trying to stay away from that issue

OP id say led lightbar for strength.......but I don't know how far they throw since u play in the desert at speed, that's a concern.

I know my lightforces throw extremely far, and bright.......some have adjustment lenses that u can make spot, or flood by twisting the covers.....others like my genesis have optional lens covers for spot/flood or combo.

Iirc all lightforces offer colored lenses for different conditions.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
New guy
Ryan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic/ff reserve
Name: Ryan
Ryan DCFS's Tacoma Gallery
HID's throw much further than LED's. You will out-run the light from an LED bar much faster than you would out-run most HID's. Lightforce has good lights and warranty/customer service. However they're expensive... but Justus put it right, "you've gotta pay to play."
Old 03-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #7

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan DCFS View Post
HID's throw much further than LED's. You will out-run the light from an LED bar much faster than you would out-run most HID's. Lightforce has good lights and warranty/customer service. However they're expensive... but Justus put it right, "you've gotta pay to play."

Thanks for clarifying my thoughts on led......I've never had 1.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
like others lightforces i hear are good. and throw light far.

I’m wanting to go LED rout, don’t think i’d ever out run the light. Don’t have much high speed around here fasted id probably ever go is 40 or so.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
Future President
Spencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIGGLEBITTIES
Spencer's Tacoma Gallery
Hellas aren't cheap and you broke em. I picked up five of those big ass china made 9" HID's at a show this weekend for about 70$ each.

Agreed, they're not of the ideal quality.
But
They're cheap enough for the salesman to give me a warranty on em to replace when I rattle a bulb out etc and while agreed the optics can't be that good or maybe not even on par with a high end light,

I got three spots and two floods with a warranty for roughly what one very good hid would run.
You can't tell me the amount of light per dollar I got will compare with quality that you broke off already

There's my two cents
Old 03-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #11
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
lightforce.

my two 170s completely wash out my retrofitted HID headlights. the first time i turned them on, i thought my headlights turned off.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #12
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
OP, probably the two high end choices for racers is LightForce and another company in Soca, Baja Designs, the big 240 LF Blitzes, there is no way to out run these lights, not in your truck at least, the LF's also come smaller in the 170 and 140 Genesis. The HID versions, having seen these in person? Very, very bright. A four light combo with two middle spots and two outer floods is a good way to go. But also as others have said, VERY expensive.
Perhaps you may consider a roof-top rack? Keeps the lights out of harm's way and gives you a better throw anyways. Baja Designs makes plug n play racks with the lights mounted in them. One version comes hinged with struts so you can fold it back and flat when not needed. Again, VERY expensive but for what you want to do it's worth the investment. Not seeing everything at speed puts your truck and your life at risk, why not do the best?
LEDs are evolving, there are newer technologies that are coming online but have not fully worked their way into the market yet, the prices are steep for the best gear. IMO, i still don't think they can take the place of some really good spots. I think they are great for intermediate flood fill and I would love to have some to augment my four spots on my truck.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #13
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
*cough* http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...en-2x-hid.html *cough*
Old 03-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpick View Post
^We have a winner! If my light bar wasn't full, I'd have already grabbed them up.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #15
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpick View Post
Those can all fit behind a grill
Old 03-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #16
Future President
Spencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIGGLEBITTIES
Spencer's Tacoma Gallery
Lol. Well call it what you will, I snagged these for 80 a piece. 9"HID's & they're brighter than a motherf***

Got three spots and two floods
Best light choice?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363232965.089961.jpg

Best light choice?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363232983.154540.jpg
Best light choice?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363232996.022136.jpg

Just turned on the spot and it lit up a power pole a quarter mile away.

The guy I got it from has about ten left.
I know I'll have to do some work to remove em & waterproof the gasket from what I hear but hey. I'm broke. They're bright and I can break these just as easily as your 500$ HID's.
if you want the dudes info look up outlaw LED's