Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Headlights burned out?

Old 03-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
a name known to all
luka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud of
Air Force: Jet Mech / Metals Tech
Name: Mike
luka's Tacoma Gallery
Headlights burned out?

While driving home last night, I noticed after a while that my headlights were out after a ways. Tried cycling the switch and the indicator on the dash turned on to tell me the headlights are on but they weren't.

I checked all the 10amp fuses in the engine bay and they were all good.

Didn't get to pysically pull the bulbs yet.

Tested the high beams and they turned on when I pull the stalk to me but don't turn on when i push it forward(to leave the high-beams on)

Anyone encounter this before?

I have the sylvania expensive good rated one (silverstar ultra?) for lights and HID 3k fog lights.

Driving home with the fogs were fun
Old 03-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Check everything with the HID fogs? I had a bad ground on an HID kit on my previous vehicle and it made all my lights act goofy.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
a name known to all
luka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud of
luka's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think it would be the HIDs, they plug into the factory fog light connectors so I don't have any extra wires to deal with.

Have to wait till I get home to check the bulbs, if it's not that then I kinda have a feeling I have to look at my other wiring.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Gringo is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Polish spook
Gringo's Tacoma Gallery
Headlights burned out?

My headlights died last night. Had lights Monday night, didn't drive tues night, and last night nada. Blue high beam light on dash lights up. I have a slimcubby HID kit ~3yrs old, already burned and replaced one ballast a couple years ago. But it seems odd both lights would go at once and am pretty sure both were ok Monday. Doing my best to troubleshoot it in the storm today but so far no luck. All tips welcome!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
a name known to all
luka's Tacoma Gallery
So I pulled the bulbs out yesterday and read just over 12v at the plugs, looking at the bulbs, there was some burning on the inside, the contacts were darker on the bottom but it didn't look like a clean break like you'd normally see, guess that was enough to cause the short.

Got new sylvania xle(or whatever it's called) and my headlights work normally again.

I did notice that the bulbs I have are only warrantied for 1 year from the factory, they've been on for maybe 2-3 years?

Still odd that they would both go at the same time though.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
Senior Member. HA. I'm not a senior. I'm young...
Nunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shayne
Nunavut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
My headlights died last night. Had lights Monday night, didn't drive tues night, and last night nada. Blue high beam light on dash lights up. I have a slimcubby HID kit ~3yrs old, already burned and replaced one ballast a couple years ago. But it seems odd both lights would go at once and am pretty sure both were ok Monday. Doing my best to troubleshoot it in the storm today but so far no luck. All tips welcome!
Check your fuzes.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
Gringo is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Polish spook
Gringo's Tacoma Gallery
checking fuses was the first thing I did. All stock fuses OK; the slimcubby kit fuse on the (+) wire from the battery was corroded and hard to remove but did not appear burnt; I removed it, cleaned the slot with contact cleaner, and replaced the fuse with a new one, using bulb grease - still no joy. All connections appear solid... how do you go about testing ballasts?