LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Rock Light wiring

Old 03-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
untuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: FF/Hazmat Tech
Name: Kyle
untuckedtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Rock Light wiring

I am installing rock lights but i want them to come on at different times during vehicle operation and am at a standstill on how i should wire them. I would like the light to activate at the following times:

1: with the dome light, so they will come on when i unlock the truck (so no rapists get me)

2: with reverse

3: on a switch mounted in the bed

My question is, can I pull power from each source down to one relay? Or do I need an individual relay per power source? and if more than one function is in operation will it damage my led rock lights from having too many power sources?

Anybody that could help with a description or a diagram of what would need to be done would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Odie
trdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdNick's Tacoma Gallery
One relay should work, just tie all three power sources to the power on the relay. I have reverse lights that come on with a switch and when in reverse, both power supplies feed one relay. On the diagram below you would just tap another wire into 86 tab on the relay

Old 03-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
New guy
Ryan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic/ff reserve
Name: Ryan
Ryan DCFS's Tacoma Gallery
My AUX reverse lights are controlled by a relay and a 3 position SPDT on-off-on switch, either on, off, or on with reverse. You would have a fused power source to the relay, direct from the battery. (30 pin + in, 87 pin + out)

Then you would have a fused source tapped from the reverse, and another + power source from the battery to the bed switch, into the + coil circuit on the relay (86 pin + in, 85 pin to ground). This is how I wired mine.

I've read that it is not easy to add anything to the circuit for the dome lights if it's going to have several sources. This is because the switch for the dome lights is a ground switch, meaning it is on the negative side of the circuit, not the positive. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
untuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I guess my concern is where all of the 12 volt connections come together at the relay. What happens when my tailgate switch is activated, i go in reverse and my dome light is on (not likely that all 3 will occur at one, but still a possibility
Old 03-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
New guy
Ryan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdNick View Post
One relay should work, just tie all three power sources to the power on the relay. I have reverse lights that come on with a switch and when in reverse, both power supplies feed one relay. On the diagram below you would just tap another wire into 86 tab on the relay

This would require a diode, as the 1st power (from bat) would send power to the reverse circuit as well as the relay coil.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
with the dome light in question, could i run a constant power to the rock lights and then tie the ground into each source?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
New guy

This has no dome light option.

If you tie all the circuits into the dome lights, then the lights will only come on when the dome lights are on.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
thanks for the help. kinda disappointing that the dome light can't be included
Old 03-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
New guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by untuckedtaco View Post
thanks for the help. kinda disappointing that the dome light can't be included

That diagram is pretty close to what I did with mine.

There may be someone on here that can give you more help with trying to incorporate the dome light. I'm just not sure how you'd do it without having the whole circuit one polarity or the other, and switching between them easily.

You could maybe find a polarity reversing relay and run a secondary circuit if that's possible. I know there's a thread on here somewhere that details making the map lights come on with the dome light. I know it uses a diode, but those lights are also negative switched. The thread might give you some more info on the dome wiring, though.