Notices

LED lights under truck

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
STEVESTRUCK is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
STEVESTRUCK's Tacoma Gallery
LED lights under truck

I bought some waterproof led lights I would like to put under my truck on both sides to come on when my dome light comes on, such as when I start it, or when I exit the truck, to light up the step rails. Can anyone tell me the best place to connect them?
Old 03-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVESTRUCK View Post
I bought some waterproof led lights I would like to put under my truck on both sides to come on when my dome light comes on, such as when I start it, or when I exit the truck, to light up the step rails. Can anyone tell me the best place to connect them?
Interesting idea, haven't seen this before so i went out to the truck and checked it out. Ok, first thing to do is to see what the amperage of those LEDs are in total, this will determine if you can do this. I have an 07 but this stuff should be the same. One the packaging there should be a spec saying what the amp draw is, 3-4 amps, whatever it is. If there is no amp spec but there is a wattage spec you can use that, if it's say 25 watts total then divide by 12 volts of your system and that gives you the amps (25 divided by 12 = 2.08 amps).
This next part I'm not totally sure on so you'll have to play it by ear unless someone else here knows this number.
You'll have to figure out the wattage of the dome light, I found replacement bulbs online that say 5 watts which comes out to .41 amps.
Next, I don't believe there is anything else and no other lights on that circuit if there is you will have to figure out what their amp draw is too.
So lets say your lights draw 3 amps and your dome light bulb draws .41 amps, so that's 3.41 amps total.
next, pop the hood and pull the cover off the fuse block which is the black box thingy right behind your battery : On the block in the lower left and corner you will see these fuses, if you look on the inside of the cover there is a diagram which tells you which one is the Dome light, in my case it's the brown middle fuse with the 7.5 upside down, that's yer dome light fuse.
next get something like this , it's called an add-a-circuit or fuse tap : http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oGd.../dp/B000GKEXK2
Look at the pics and you see where the tap fits into the slot on your block and it has a wire coming off of it for a new circuit. Disconnect your battery before you start any electrical work on your truck! You install your old 7.5 fuse into it and wire the hot lead to your rock lights.
I would do this part before I put the lights on the truck to make sure it's going to work first. If you did your math right hopefully there is enough extra amperage capacity on that circuit to run the rock lights.
If not, you may be able to do the same thing on one of the ignition circuits but I'm not sure which one would work. NEVER put a higher amp fuse into a block, you're begging for an electrical fire.
There is not a whole lotta space on that part of the fuse block so you'll have to figure out which design will work for you and you'll have to cut a teeny tiny slot in the plastic edge of the block to get the wire out with out the cover pinching it.
Other than that, hang the lights, use lots of zip ties for the wires underneath, keep the wires away from hot pipes are engine components and it should work fine.
Good Luck
Old 03-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Thanks for the info. I have already changed the dome light to an LED bulb, and with the LED flexible strip, I should be okay on the amp draw. The main thing I'm trying to do is tie it in so it is switched with the dome light.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I have already changed the dome light to an LED bulb, and with the LED flexible strip, I should be okay on the amp draw. The main thing I'm trying to do is tie it in so it is switched with the dome light.
I forgot to mention that, yeah that's a great way to get some more capacity
Old 03-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
I saw this once on a Tundra, and it looked great at night. Whenever the truck cranked, doors unlocked, or doors opened and the dome light lit, the LED's under the truck lit up and lit up the nerf bars. When you closed the door and the dome light went off, so did the LED's.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
Banned
Quote:
I saw this once on a Tundra, and it looked great at night. Whenever the truck cranked, doors unlocked, or doors opened and the dome light lit, the LED's under the truck lit up and lit up the nerf bars. When you closed the door and the dome light went off, so did the LED's.
Post some pics when you finish
Old 03-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
I'm just trying to figure out where to connect them to achieve this without adding a switch. The guy with the Tundra said he connected his to the dome light connector, wherever that is.....
Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
I will, if I can figure where to connect it up.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
Banned
Quote:
I'm just trying to figure out where to connect them to achieve this without adding a switch. The guy with the Tundra said he connected his to the dome light connector, wherever that is.....
I gotta think that's in the cab somewhere probably behind the dash
Old 03-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Since you need to get power to it and you're not putting a switch in the cab, off the fuse block makes the most sense to me
Old 03-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
AnTiFuBaR has much to be proud ofAnTiFuBaR has much to be proud ofAnTiFuBaR has much to be proud ofAnTiFuBaR has much to be proud ofAnTiFuBaR has much to be proud ofAnTiFuBaR has much to be proud ofAnTiFuBaR has much to be proud ofAnTiFuBaR has much to be proud of

AnTiFuBaR's Tacoma Gallery
sub/d
Old 03-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
Thanks, mynewtoy. I checked it out and it helped some. The only thing I'll have to figure out is WHICH blue wire to tap into
Old 03-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #14
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Sub'd for this ...hopefully you find an EASY way to get them powered up...

My question is ,are these LED's from Fulkerson Fabrication ??? 4WD Toyota Owner Mag installed a few of these on their '96 Tacoma and really praised them up....

Always looking for another "view" point on "New products"
Old 03-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #15
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
Just splice them into the dome light wire and add a higher amp fuse to the box.

Don't make it anymore difficult then it should be.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #16
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlescars View Post
Just splice them into the dome light wire and add a higher amp fuse to the box.

No.
All the lamps in the circuit are LED's.
Stay within the OEM dimming circuit's amp range if you add more LED.

Quote:

Tap the negative side of the added LED's to this wire.

7.5A DOME fuse powers: Clock; Interior Light; Wireless Door Lock Control. ('05 Tacoma)
Old 03-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
I don't have a black connector. All of mine are white. I found the connector that controls the dome light, but none of the blue wires seem to be the one for the dome light. I can take a meter and check voltage on the wires, but the voltage stays, even when I close the door and the light fades off.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #18
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't have a black connector. All of mine are white. I found the connector that controls the dome light, but none of the blue wires seem to be the one for the dome light. I can take a meter and check voltage on the wires, but the voltage stays, even when I close the door and the light fades off.
The 3 connectors you see after removing the cab fuse cover/pocket aren't the ones...they are to the left, covered by the remaining lower panel...

Old 03-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #19
untuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheduntuckedtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: FF/Hazmat Tech
Name: Kyle
untuckedtaco's Tacoma Gallery
once tapped into the dome light, can a circuit be added to come on with the reverse lights as well?
Old 03-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #20
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlescars View Post
Yuup I quoted myself because my exterior and interior lights are connected on the same circuit as my dome light. AND since my dome light was originally a halogen, I had swapped to LED which pulls much less amperage then a halogen where I kept the same amp fuse because I know it is more then enough to handle it.

Just remember to disconnect the positive battery terminal when working on it so you don't blow the fuses.

Products Discussed in this Thread