Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HID Flicker

Old 03-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #21
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does that as well. Kind of annoying, but I've learned to live with it!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #22
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09DBLCAB09 View Post
Perfect example of how aftermarket kits have problems regardless of brand.
I'm so sick of seeing everyone say that TRS has the best quality kits an all this BS. They're just overpriced kits IMO
It's not an issue of quality, it's an issue of TRS offering a proper retrofit, and TRS is one of the few companies that does.

Most of the kits out there, including everything on eBay, are H4 plug-in replacements that are dangerous to other drivers. That's where the ragging on other vendors comes from. FWIW, TRS also sells the plug-in systems, and I really wish they wouldn't, but they are in business to make money, and there's a market for it, and I'm not their CEO, so they will continue to sell them, and I'll continue to drive with a rag hanging over my mirror.

If other companies offer proper retrofits, more power to them.
IMHO, all of the electronics are Chinese base quality production unless you get a retro that uses an OEM ballast.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #23
Ronn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ron
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
It's not an issue of quality, it's an issue of TRS offering a proper retrofit, and TRS is one of the few companies that does.

Most of the kits out there, including everything on eBay, are H4 plug-in replacements that are dangerous to other drivers. That's where the ragging on other vendors comes from. FWIW, TRS also sells the plug-in systems, and I really wish they wouldn't, but they are in business to make money, and there's a market for it, and I'm not their CEO, so they will continue to sell them, and I'll continue to drive with a rag hanging over my mirror.

If other companies offer proper retrofits, more power to them.
IMHO, all of the electronics are Chinese base quality production unless you get a retro that uses an OEM ballast.
This. It's what I concluded aswell and if all the wiring is spot on then the issues point to the ballast. OEM kits for some vehicles range up into thousands of dollars. Were talking about a 300 dollar kit here. Point is, it didn't come standard with the truck, it's aftermarket and we all know that aftermarket is never perfect.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #24
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

On this "candle flame" issue, I'm thinking it's the Morimoto burner.
I'm running the upgraded Philips 4300k burner, but the same ballast as everyone else.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #25
Ronn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ron
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
Could be worth a shot to see if it fixes the problem, even if it doesn't those are a little brighter aren't they?
Old 03-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #26
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely get in touch with TRS. Have them send you new bulb's and ballasts, should be covered under their 4 year warranty.

I have a Morimoto mini H1 setup with their XB35 bulbs and 3Five ballasts - zero problems.

Good luck.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Could be worth a shot to see if it fixes the problem, even if it doesn't those are a little brighter aren't they?
Ya, when I get some things ironed out and things get settled.

Right now I've got too many damned projects going and none are getting done. It took me 3 months to get to installing the retros (the new Depo housings sat in the garage COMPLETED that long), I never have installed the power door locks that I bought almost a year ago.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #28
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigsmit View Post
I just installed my mini d2s kit I got from the trs group buy. They are 55w 6000k morimoto bullbs. After they warm up for a while something starts flickering. Its almost like a piece of dust on the bulbs that move except it only happens once they warm up. I have cleaned the bulbs with alcohol multiple times.
Do you use a relay harness that draws power directly from the battery?
Old 03-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #29
Useful Idiot
thebigsmit is on a distinguished road

Name: Brent
thebigsmit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Do you use a relay harness that draws power directly from the battery?
Yea
Old 03-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #30
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
After getting my HID conversion (of Hella Halogen 4000 lamps) done by that guy in Orange County, and going through the months of hassle to get the right color, ballast that doesn't blow up, etc. I posted here about the flicker as seen in your video... I described it as the look of a candle flame in a light breeze, and not an on-off flick of the light switch.

So, you are not alone, and my HIDs still work after 2 years, although I rarely use them (rarely drive at night and no money to go desert camping lately)!
Following up... understand that the lights work, and do the job... you would never know it 'candle flickered' unless you drove up to a wall or in your garage and stared at the wall to see the movement. It doesn't get darker it just 'moves' within the lighted pattern.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #31
Useful Idiot

I have another question. I also ordered halos and installed them. I was so eager to get them working I never read the directions and just kinda guessed how to wire them. Long story short, I didnt use a relay and wired them directly to my dtrl. Now, they wont turn on and Ive determined that its the little black cylinder voltage regulators that came with the halos. I assume that because I didnt use a relay (my bad). Will TRS replace the little black voltage things or can I buy them locally?
Old 03-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #32
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
Well as many who don't like DDM Tuning ballasts or any other product from them, I am a firm believer in their products for the price. I have had 0 issues with any of their products and will continue to buy parts from them.

As far as the flicker goes, does it stop when the brights are on or is it constant?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #33

Quote:
I have another question. I also ordered halos and installed them. I was so eager to get them working I never read the directions and just kinda guessed how to wire them. Long story short, I didnt use a relay and wired them directly to my dtrl. Now, they wont turn on and Ive determined that its the little black cylinder voltage regulators that came with the halos. I assume that because I didnt use a relay (my bad). Will TRS replace the little black voltage things or can I buy them locally?
If you wired CCFL halos directly to the DRL, the flashing from the turn signal blew them.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlescars View Post
Well as many who don't like DDM Tuning ballasts or any other product from them, I am a firm believer in their products for the price. I have had 0 issues with any of their products and will continue to buy parts from them.
Have you dealt with their customer service?

I used DDM products in a number of vehicles, and other than one ballast, I had no quality problems that couldn't be traced to bad grounding.
And I apologize to the other people on the road that had to deal with my splattering headlights.

Anyways, in 2009, they actually yanked their phone number. Posted on the web site they did it so their reps could take care of customers in the order problems were reported.
Toward the end of 2010, they announced that they were no longer selling retrofit systems as of March 2011... March 2011 came and went and they didn't stop selling them, so I'm assuming there was a management change, or perhaps things went better for them after they relocated to Huntington Beach from San Diego.

I had a ballast replaced during the time their phones were "off" and it was a major hassle.
Quote:
As far as the flicker goes, does it stop when the brights are on or is it constant?
OP reported it's on both, which would be expected since burner power is not switched.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #35
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlescars View Post
It doesn't start until they are warmed up, and continues as long as I had them on in my garage.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #36
Newborn
taco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: High Speed, Low Drag
taco47001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My passenger side did the same thing except it only lasted about 15 mins. I spoke with andrew regarding this and he stated "they've been having numerous prob's with the quality of the latest batch of V. Regs". They sent me new ones the same day....no questions asked. I don't know if the CCFL halos have the voltage reg. but I'm assuming that you have the LED ones..... Either way, give them a call... Great customer service in my book.

Oh and I too have the flikr described....It's identical...like a candle waving in a very slight breeze. I can see it while driving though and it's pretty annoying.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #37
Useful Idiot

Quote:
If you wired CCFL halos directly to the DRL, the flashing from the turn signal blew them.
They are led halos and they dont flash with turn signal anyway
Old 03-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #38

Quote:
They are led halos and they dont flash with turn signal anyway
LED should not have been a problem even flashing.

And I'm not sure where this "relay harness required for halos" came from... Andrew said that it was not required for warranty, so if they have failed, you're in good shape.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #39
Useful Idiot

Quote:
LED should not have been a problem even flashing.

And I'm not sure where this "relay harness required for halos" came from... Andrew said that it was not required for warranty, so if they have failed, you're in good shape.
So would you recommend wiring with the relay or just splice them back in like they were before?
Old 03-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #40
Backinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Backinblack03's Tacoma Gallery
The candle effect is the arc flickering in the HID envelope. It may go away after a good long burn time as the electrodes wear a little, or if it doesn't probably time to replace them. I've seen this in a few of the really cheap HID burners in the past when retrofitting rechargeable spotlights. Easy to spot there. Sometimes hard to spot on the car with the engine running...