1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wiring bumper mounted LED's and a Blitzpro 15" bar

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Dafinga, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Mar 18, 2013 at 1:54 PM
    Dafinga

Dafinga [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    N. Cali
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Double Cab
    ICON Coilovers, Camberg UCA, Custom Bumper,
    Hi Folks,

This is my first post so don't be too mean....
    Just bought a 2011 Double Cab with a Brute Force Fabrication bumper (pretty sick). The owner had two sets of ADV Monster Model 60's installed in the bumper and a 15" Blitzpro bar mounted on top of the bumper. He never had them wired. I just called Oznium.com and they indicated that due to the low draw from the lights, I would not have to use relays. I want to run three lighted toggles from the dash. They told me to just use 18 gauge wire and run the power to the battery and run 3amp inline fuses. Does this make sense to you guys? What is the right way to wire these lights?

Thanks.

2. Mar 18, 2013 at 1:56 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    76819d1256507456-aux-off-road-lights-not_3430fd7620cb3525c531592b045e51f28aa17703.gif

is the truck a blue ac?

3. Mar 18, 2013 at 1:57 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    You would need to see the total amp draw while the lights are running and go from there, although I think 18 ga wire and 3 amp in line fuses should be enough. I do overkill all my wiring though, I usually run 12 ga for everything, I don't care how small or big it is. You should also use fork lugs for the switches and heat shrink it so they don't contact each other and keep popping fuses.

4. Mar 18, 2013 at 2:00 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    With the correct switch and wiring, you can correctly wire any lights without the use of a relay. Using a relay has nothing to do with draw. What a relay does is allow you to only have a small amount of power control a much larger accessory, or make it so you can do things like have the lights controlled by a switch, but still have the power cut when the ignition gets turned off regardless of the switch position. Personally, I always use relays and would not wire anything like shown above. It will work, and the lights will function perfectly, but I prefer to make sure everything goes dead when the ignition is turned off.

5. Mar 21, 2013 at 9:10 PM
    Dafinga

Dafinga [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    N. Cali
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Double Cab
    ICON Coilovers, Camberg UCA, Custom Bumper,
    Thanks for the replies. I think that I am going to go with relays. One more newbie question, one set of LED's is set to tie in with the front directionals. The LED is split, amber and clear. I want to tie the ambers to my directionals. If the ambers are getting power, do I just need to splice them to the hot leads going to the directionals?

Products Discussed in

To Top