Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

can i use my fog light relay for off road lights

Old 03-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
blaks 06 pre is on a distinguished road

Name: brandon
blaks 06 pre's Tacoma Gallery
can i use my fog light relay for off road lights

So I have a 2006 pre runner with no fog lights can I use the fog light relay to run my off road lights
Old 03-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
So you're truck came with no fogs? And you know for sure it has the relay?
Old 03-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
If the relay is there, then sure you can use it.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on the amperage of your off-road lights, which are probably too high for the fog relay. Best to use the fog relay to activate another new relay for your other lights.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
Depends on the amperage of your off-road lights, which are probably too high for the fog relay. Best to use the fog relay to activate another new relay for your other lights.
My Pisa are 110watts together pulling about 10 amps and from another post I read that the relay can handle 15 amps
Old 03-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
So you're truck came with no fogs? And you know for sure it has the relay?
Yea they had no fogs so I bought a switch and a got a factory relay from the junk yard to test them
Old 03-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Ya iirc, the stock relay is 15 amps with a either 10 or 15 amp fuse

Alot of guys who run aftermarket lights when they add a tube or plate bumper and just wire them into their stock wiring/relay/switch.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
You can use the stock relay to run those lights but do not oversize the fuse. The stock fog light fuse I believe is only a 10A fuse. The fuse will blow before you have any issues with the relay.

There are 2 members local to me who have tried to run PIAA 510 lights off the stock fog light wiring. One was successful, the other one keeps blowing fuses. The PIAA's draw 9.2A so you're right at the upper limit of what the stock 10A fuse will handle. I've got 2 pairs of PIAA 520 lights, one will run on a 10A fuse, the other pair won't so it'll be hit or miss whether your stock fog light wiring will work for your lights.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
I tried to run my PIAA fogs off of that factory fog light circuit and I popped it immediately. Had to wire them into my Blu-Sea fuse block and just use the fog circuit as the trigger only.