Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

help replaced Factory fog light switch with Contura

Old 03-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Hoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty
Hoozel's Tacoma Gallery
help replaced Factory fog light switch with Contura

i replaced the factory Fog Light switch with a lit Contura that has the on indicator as well. I got all of the other switches to light up when switched on.... but the factory fog light switch won't light up with 'on' indicator. I didnt replace any wiring from the factory fog switch, just added what was needed for dash dimmer etc. Wired it the same as all the other switches, it just wont light up when on. Lights up fine with dash lights.

i checked the ground its good, its not jumpered off the dash light ground feed. I can't figure out why it won't light up when flipped on.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Have you wired it up away from the dash wiring to make sure the bulb is good? It is just an incandescent indicator and might be damaged.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Hoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoozel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hoozel's Tacoma Gallery
I will try to get some pics. I never took any as i went. basically just cut the stock wires and put new connectors on. Ran a separate ground off of a good spot nearby, I just tapped into the green white i think that was nearby from another switch harness and ran that for all my new Contura switches so they dim with dash lights when Headlights on.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #5

Hoozel's Tacoma Gallery
Installed
Attached Thumbnails
help replaced Factory fog light switch with Contura-photo.jpg  
Old 03-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #6

Hoozel's Tacoma Gallery
Out with the Old....

Btw... Black Diamond Fab Grill, and BAMF bracket (very sweet design)
Attached Thumbnails
help replaced Factory fog light switch with Contura-photo-1.jpg   help replaced Factory fog light switch with Contura-photo-2.jpg   help replaced Factory fog light switch with Contura-photo-3.jpg   help replaced Factory fog light switch with Contura-photo-4.jpg  
Old 03-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
The switch indication is an LED. The switch design is not compatible with the factory fog light wiring, which is ground-true switched.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #8

Hoozel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
The switch indication is an LED. The switch design is not compatible with the factory fog light wiring, which is ground-true switched.
Thanks ! ya i figured it would have something to do with factory wiring. So if i wired a new ground to the switch would it still work off dash lights ? I basically just attached the factory foglight wires to this new switch....
Old 03-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
No.

Someone was trying to make this work a few weeks ago and he tried a few dead-ends. Nothing worked.

The problem is, on the factory system, the hot is applied to the relay coil under the hood, and the switch provides a ground for it. The indicator light needs to have the hot applied at the switch.
You'd have to completely abandon the factory relay and wiring and rewire it using a "standard" diagram.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #10

Hoozel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
No.

Someone was trying to make this work a few weeks ago and he tried a few dead-ends. Nothing worked.

The problem is, on the factory system, the hot is applied to the relay coil under the hood, and the switch provides a ground for it. The indicator light needs to have the hot applied at the switch.
You'd have to completely abandon the factory relay and wiring and rewire it using a "standard" diagram.
Thanks for explaining that for me. makes sense now. I am no expert at 12 volt wiring so I didnt understand why it wouldn't work. I think i wont bother with a rewire, just to have the indicator light.