1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

help replaced Factory fog light switch with Contura

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Hoozel, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Mar 23, 2013 at 6:37 PM
    Hoozel

Hoozel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Edmonton AB
    i replaced the factory Fog Light switch with a lit Contura that has the on indicator as well. I got all of the other switches to light up when switched on.... but the factory fog light switch won't light up with 'on' indicator. I didnt replace any wiring from the factory fog switch, just added what was needed for dash dimmer etc. Wired it the same as all the other switches, it just wont light up when on. Lights up fine with dash lights.

i checked the ground its good, its not jumpered off the dash light ground feed. I can't figure out why it won't light up when flipped on.

2. Mar 24, 2013 at 10:35 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Have you wired it up away from the dash wiring to make sure the bulb is good? It is just an incandescent indicator and might be damaged.

3. Mar 30, 2013 at 4:49 AM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    I plan to do the same, just ordered my switches. Keep us updated on the outcome. Do you have any pictures? How many wires on the factory switch?

4. Mar 30, 2013 at 3:28 PM
    Hoozel

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Edmonton AB
    I will try to get some pics. I never took any as i went. basically just cut the stock wires and put new connectors on. Ran a separate ground off of a good spot nearby, I just tapped into the green white i think that was nearby from another switch harness and ran that for all my new Contura switches so they dim with dash lights when Headlights on.

5. Mar 30, 2013 at 3:33 PM
    Hoozel

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Edmonton AB
    Installed

photo.jpg

6. Mar 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM
    Hoozel

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Edmonton AB
    Out with the Old....

Btw... Black Diamond Fab Grill, and BAMF bracket (very sweet design)

photo 1.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    photo 4.jpg

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  7. Mar 30, 2013 at 3:40 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    The switch indication is an LED. The switch design is not compatible with the factory fog light wiring, which is ground-true switched.

8. Mar 30, 2013 at 4:44 PM
    Hoozel

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Edmonton AB
    Thanks ! ya i figured it would have something to do with factory wiring. So if i wired a new ground to the switch would it still work off dash lights ? I basically just attached the factory foglight wires to this new switch....

9. Mar 30, 2013 at 4:48 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    No.

Someone was trying to make this work a few weeks ago and he tried a few dead-ends. Nothing worked.

The problem is, on the factory system, the hot is applied to the relay coil under the hood, and the switch provides a ground for it. The indicator light needs to have the hot applied at the switch.
    You'd have to completely abandon the factory relay and wiring and rewire it using a "standard" diagram.

10. Mar 30, 2013 at 5:16 PM
    Hoozel

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Edmonton AB
    Thanks for explaining that for me. makes sense now. I am no expert at 12 volt wiring so I didnt understand why it wouldn't work. I think i wont bother with a rewire, just to have the indicator light.

11. Mar 31, 2013 at 4:25 AM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    I will.

12. Apr 19, 2013 at 4:48 AM
    OmegaQuest

OmegaQuest Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Limited Double Cab 4X4
    Oil Catch Can, Motorcycle Chock, WeatherTech Window Deflectors, Bilstein 5100, OEM 4 Leaf, Chrome Satoshi Grille, FX-R Stage III Retrofit, Color Match Head Light Mod, Front Hella 500 HID, Behind Grill Light Bar, Rear LED Bed Lights, Pop and Lock Tailgate, Chrome License Plate Covers, AFE Air Filter, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Paint engine cover (Red), ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Center Console Organizer, ScanGauge 2, Firestone W217602407 Ride-Rite Kit, Firestone WR17602178 Air-Rite Dual Electric Air Command
    D'oh.

I had the same issue and spent about an hour lastnight trying to figure out why the indicator light would not turn on, yet everything else seemed to work.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

Products Discussed in

To Top