Notices

Parking light issue

Old 03-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
Useful Idiot
thebigsmit is on a distinguished road

Name: Brent
thebigsmit's Tacoma Gallery
Parking light issue

So I was pulling into my garage today and noticed that my parking lights dont come on with the headlights anymore. When I turn my headlights on, the dash doesnt dim like it normally would. My dtrls dont work and also my parking lights. Looked through all fuses but they are all ok. Wtf is wrong with my wiring?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like you're still under factory warranty. I would just take it to Toyota and let them fix it. Sounds like it may be a fuse. Did you already check for that?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Useful Idiot

I installed a hid retrofit and spliced halos into my parking lights but I didnt do it any different than suggested on this site.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigsmit View Post
I installed a hid retrofit and spliced halos into my parking lights but I didnt do it any different than suggested on this site.
and you checked the lights and everything was working after you finished with the wiring? I know you said you checked the fuses but was that just a quick visual check?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

In that case, don't take it to the dealership as they'll probably see your aftermarket lights and deny warranty coverage.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
Useful Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester243 View Post
and you checked the lights and everything was working after you finished with the wiring? I know you said you checked the fuses but was that just a quick visual check?
Installed my kit literally about a month ago and everything has been working up until now.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
maybe recheck the fuses, do you have any spares you can swap in to test them?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #9

Another thing to check is your splices. If you used one of those quick-splice vampire taps, those do occassionally cause issues and lose connection.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
Useful Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockgecko03 View Post
Another thing to check is your splices. If you used one of those quick-splice vampire taps, those do occassionally cause issues and lose connection.
How could it be my splices? It literally effects everything to do with my lighting like my turn sig and my guage backlights dont even work.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigsmit View Post
How could it be my splices? It literally effects everything to do with my lighting like my turn sig and my guage backlights dont even work.
When you alter the factory electical system and then have to troubleshoot an issue in that exact system, it's usually easiest to check your work first and the other things that are very simple.

Since you said that the fuses are fine. The next logical thing to check would be your splices.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #12
Useful Idiot

Would the stealership really deny fixing it under warranty bc of my retrofit?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #13

The dealership I used to work at - yes, initially. Unless at the end of the repair they could definitively say that your alterations didn't have any cause in the issue that had to be fixed. The headlamp and parking lamp circuits are fairly basic and don't typically have issues.

Edit: If you're asking would they deny fixing anything on your truck under warranty because of your lights, that would be a no. In order to deny warranty coverage on any repair the dealer has to be able to show that whatever a customer did to a vehicle caused whatever problem it was brought in for.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
Useful Idiot

I am, infact, an idiot. I didnt check the fuses under the dash. It was one of those. Wonder why it popped
Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #15

If it pops again in the near future, I would get a multi tester and figure out what's overloading the circuit.