Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Retrofit DOT approved???

Old 04-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
Everything's BIGGER in TX!
Oskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oscar
Oskie_78's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Oskie_78
Retrofit DOT approved???

Anyone ever had a problem getting a state inspection (TX) sticker with retrofit headlights?

I just went this morning to get my state inspection and the guy there told me that my headlights won't pass inspection because the ballast does not have DOT approved sticker on it. Has anyone ever heard of this? I guess he thought I had regular HID bulbs in a regular halogen headlight. I tried explaining to him that it has retrofit and wasn't scattered light through the headlight and it has a cut off line. He just told me I could put in the regular bulbs back in and take it back within 15 days and I told him I cannot put the regular bulbs in because it's been modified.

Anyone ever had a problem like this?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskie_78 View Post
Anyone ever had a problem getting a state inspection (TX) sticker with retrofit headlights?

I just went this morning to get my state inspection and the guy there told me that my headlights won't pass inspection because the ballast does not have DOT approved sticker on it. Has anyone ever heard of this? I guess he thought I had regular HID bulbs in a regular halogen headlight. I tried explaining to him that it has retrofit and wasn't scattered light through the headlight and it has a cut off line. He just told me I could put in the regular bulbs back in and take it back within 15 days and I told him I cannot put the regular bulbs in because it's been modified.

Anyone ever had a problem like this?
Its a federal deal.......nowhere in the US, can u put in any kind of HID headlights to be used onroad......unless the vehicle came with HID from the factory, or had that option.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard of people failing because they have the PNP HIDs in their stock halogen housings, because, you know, they're blinding everyone.

I guess if the vehicle didn't come with projectors standard they could put up a stink. I'd ask the guy to measure the cutoff and see if it goes above the required height.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If you take the law to the letter, retrofits are technically illegal. You have modified a DOT approved assembly with non-DOT approved parts. Sounds like you unfortunately got an overly meticulous technician.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
Oskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah, the technician was real picky I guess... I have had this retrofit on my headlights for a few years now and I never had a problem until today. I guess I'll just try another shop, but that sucks I'm out $14.50 :/
Old 04-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #6

By the way, Thanks for the quick replies and information. I can always count on Tacoma World
Old 04-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskie_78 View Post
Yeah, the technician was real picky I guess... I have had this retrofit on my headlights for a few years now and I never had a problem until today. I guess I'll just try another shop, but that sucks I'm out $14.50 :/
Most places do a quick look of the vehicle before they do the actual inspection or charge you.
I went to a place one time, the guy came out and looked at the vehicle before he started and said "your turn signal lens is cracked and you're missing lug nuts.." I knew what to fix so I did.
I ended up taking it to a shop in a worse part of town and got passed just fine. LOL.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
vbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vbibi's Tacoma Gallery
I think the guy went beyond his duty in this case. I think he wants to see DOT approved : Lens and housing of the lights. This for shatter reasons, but not the ballast.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #9

^^^ The worst part of town. haha! I guess I'll try that lol
Old 04-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbibi View Post
I think the guy went beyond his duty in this case. I think he wants to see DOT approved : Lens and housing of the lights. This for shatter reasons, but not the ballast.
Yeah, I tried explaining it to him, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't know about retrofitted headlights.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
fyi

"DOT" and "DOT Approved" are 100% meaningless when it comes to choosing a device that will legally satisfy photometric
requirements. For any FMVSS approved device, you will also be able to get a certificate showing that it meets specification, for your
vehicle make and model.
Usually only the vehicle manufacturer can provide this, as certification is extremely expensive (and takes months
to years to certify) compared to any old chump with a blow-mold operation trying to sell cheap parts. Many sellers will, incorrectly, list
their items as being SAE/DOT approved without this actually being the case.

with aftermarket parts, it is a bogus label and they use it to help sell devices
which otherwise no one would purchase, since this DOT dupe has been running forever

many will not even know what SAE or DOT approval is.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #12

I guess I could buy these stickers and stick them on the ballast haha

Old 04-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbibi View Post

it is not shatter, it is photometrics. conspicuity

The property of being clearly discernible; The state or quality of being clear or bright; brightness; conspicuousness.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
There are standards for onroad ballasts. Use a better Denso ballast instead of a China made no name or DDM digital.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #15
Ronn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ron
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
You could always pick up a set of scrap yard housings and hook them up if the next shop gives you grief about it.