Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Anyone know how to correctly assemble component LEDs?

Old 04-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
iTz IAN is on a distinguished road

Name: Ian
iTz IAN's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know how to correctly assemble component LEDs?

It seems as tho one could save a ton of money by making their own LED lights,
I'm looking for a How to writeup, on how to do this (heatsinks,resisters, entire process....etc.)

check out the top 2 LEDs in this link, the first puts out 2700lumens and the 2nd one puts out 750, is there a cost effective way to assemble and use these.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/high-powered/
Old 04-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #2

iTz IAN's Tacoma Gallery
TTT
Old 04-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
n00b waffle
mutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mutilatedjak's Tacoma Gallery
What's your objective? Custom led light bars like Rigid or something? I've built custom component led projects before for fun. The problem with building your own light bar style light is that creating the proper reflector contour is a pain in the ass. Sure those leds throw a ton of light, but it just goes everywhere. You need a good reflector and lens to get that light to project to any use able distance.

There was a thread somewhere where someone built their own light bar, aluminum extrusion for the body and so forth... I'll have to see if I can find it
Old 04-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
n00b waffle
mutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

You might also need a power puck thing to properly power the leds from the trucks 12v system
Old 04-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedjak View Post
What's your objective? Custom led light bars like Rigid or something? I've built custom component led projects before for fun. The problem with building your own light bar style light is that creating the proper reflector contour is a pain in the ass. Sure those leds throw a ton of light, but it just goes everywhere. You need a good reflector and lens to get that light to project to any use able distance.

There was a thread somewhere where someone built their own light bar, aluminum extrusion for the body and so forth... I'll have to see if I can find it
There is a LOT to consider to do this. One is optics. They can be had. Little reflectors that clip onto the LEDs. Then the Power supplies. These are high power LEDs and cannot simply be run with a resistor to control current. they need a switching DC-DC power supply. This is a complicated design to say the least. The last and I think the most difficult thing in making your own is heat sinking. These LEDs generate tons of heat and need good heat sinking to draw the heat out of them or they will simply blow out. I have made some smaller round LED lights with these kind of LEDs and the optics but still had issues with heat as i couldn't find a suitable off the shelf heat sink that worked in my application. It can be done and someone on this board has, but its really not practical. Better off just buying a made bar.

My Credentials on the subject:

I'm an applications engineer for the company that makes the led driver chip in the Rigid bars.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #6

iTz IAN's Tacoma Gallery
Any How To DIYs?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Been there done that.

By the time you buy all of the parts you need, you're going to be close to the cost of a commercial unit.
Now add in days of labor, and you end up with something that looks like a science project that doesn't work as well as the commercial units.

There's a reason things are mass produced. It's much cheaper than building a one-off.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Been there done that.

By the time you buy all of the parts you need, you're going to be close to the cost of a commercial unit.
Now add in days of labor, and you end up with something that looks like a science project that doesn't work as well as the commercial units.

There's a reason things are mass produced. It's much cheaper than building a one-off.
^^what he said. Ive built some hidious monsters with spare boards and leds and all that fun stuff. Just not worth the effort and time.
Not knocking your adventure. By all means giver shit and when she turns out better than expected, Ill have the kudos here for ya.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:33 PM   #9
n00b waffle

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...light-bar.html

This was the one I remembered.... TONS to read through though. Of course diy can be fun... But don't go into it thinking you'll save money. Plenty of other diy and cost effective projects on our Tacomas.