Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Sylvania SilverStar lights are pure crap

Old 04-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Sylvania SilverStar lights are pure crap

Second time i've had them both burn out on me. First time was 5 months after installing them. This time it was 2 months. I'm going back to get another pair replaced under warranty but this is pure crap.

I didn't touch the bulbs when installing. The high beams still work. the damn low beam just burns out.

Anyone have any suggestions for bulbs instead of these?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
Member #12005
Round II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shedRound II is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Round II's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krap22 View Post
Second time i've had them both burn out on me. First time was 5 months after installing them. This time it was 2 months. I'm going back to get another pair replaced under warranty but this is pure crap.

I didn't touch the bulbs when installing. The high beams still work. the damn low beam just burns out.

Anyone have any suggestions for bulbs instead of these?
Weird 8 yrs and only one has shit the bed.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I can usually get 2 years out of mine.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Life expectancy is very low to begin with on silverstars. Something like 250 hours lowbeam and even less for highbeam. Typical long life bulbs are 1200-1700 hours in comparison.

Personally I don't like Osram bulbs much anymore. If I can't find a pair of GE long life bulbs at Wallyworld I'll zip up to the Honda dealer and grab them.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CowboyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
i put those in one of my previous cars and determined that i would never spend three extra money on them.

I've been pleased with the OEM bulbs so far. I'd like to know who makes them for when that time comes.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
They only half suck at most. Half of people have shit luck and half of people have normal bulb life. Has to be something else than the bulbs. I have had H4 double filaments and H7 single filament lows on 2 different brand vehicles and have no issues. One vehicle had same pr of H7s for over 4 yrs and the other still has the same H4s going on 2+ yrs. I drive to work at 0415-0445 every day so they do get used every day. 1/3 on my trip is country so brights get used pretty often on daily basis. IMO there are other factors at play other than just touching the bulb or not. I don't know what those factors might be but the reports just don't add up to the bulbs simply suck. Also, your housings will determine a lot as to whether the cost of these are worth it. All housings are NOT created equal.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Look at the back of the box, they even state that the life expectancy is like 1/4 of a normal bulb.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Look at the back of the box, they even state that the life expectancy is like 1/4 of a normal bulb.
Well then O'Riley auto parts can keep replacing them when they burn out in a few Months
Old 04-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I've seen the box & simply reporting my experiences. People can take it or leave it. Not trying to sell these and not saying some people don't has issues. Am saying they are total crap for some people and not others, hit or miss at worse, which is the same for every product nowadays, even tacomas. Try Philips Xtremevision if problems with the ss's..............
Old 04-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #10
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Quote:
Well then O'Riley auto parts can keep replacing them when they burn out in a few Months
This too........
Old 04-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #11
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
I've seen the box & simply reporting my experiences. People can take it or leave it. Not trying to sell these and not saying some people don't has issues. Am saying they are total crap for some people and not others, hit or miss at worse, which is the same for every product nowadays, even tacomas. Try Philips Xtremevision if problems with the ss's..............
Thanks I'll try those next.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #13
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I've switched to the napa no name brand as they last just as long now
Old 04-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
i didn't think they were crap from a longevity standpoint. i didn't like the brightness. they weren't bright enough for the premium price. i buy the regular Sylvania bulbs for my wifes car, and haven't had an issue.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #15
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyTaco View Post
i didn't think they were crap from a longevity standpoint. i didn't like the brightness. they weren't bright enough for the premium price. i buy the regular Sylvania bulbs for my wifes car, and haven't had an issue.

I thought they were significantly better than the bulbs that were in there originally. I liked the light output, but the longevity seems to suck. Part of that is probably because i always drive with my lights on.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #16
Quote:
I thought they were significantly better than the bulbs that were in there originally. I liked the light output, but the longevity seems to suck. Part of that is probably because i always drive with my lights on.
the OEM ones on my trick ate pretty bright. seems like i get several people who flash me thinking that my brights are on...can't wait to lift it!

maybe our OEM bulbs were different (09 vs. 11)?

and just to clarify, my experience with silverstars was several years ago on a much different car. i could be way off base here.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #17
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

paranoid56's Tacoma Gallery
any bulb with a blue coating on it (or any coating) will acutally have less light output then a non coated bulb. fyi.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #18
Boilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really niceBoilerman is just really nice

Name: Brian
Boilerman's Tacoma Gallery
I've installed Sylvania Xtravisions which are brighter than stock and light up the sides more. No issues after two years.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #19
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
I put silver stars in this time last year and no problems yet. Knock on wood!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #20
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Silverstars are pure junk IMO. I couldn't even tell you how many I blew out + they aren't even that bright.

Narva or Osram for the win. Same pricing if not less money, they last longer, and are much brighter. I have pics somewhere comparing them, but can't find them. Narva Rangepower 50's give off way more Lumens. Any bulb not willing to provide the lumen output while telling you they are "50% brighter" is a sham. You have no way to compare bulbs besides lumens. If they don't provide it they are a shitty bulb/company IMO.

http://store.candlepower.com/h4hb29003bulbs.html