Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

2012 Fog Light HID Retrofit Ideas or Experience?

Old 06-07-2013, 07:49 AM   #21
Banned
trailhoor is on a distinguished road
trailhoor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
No, the Blazers are an HID projector out of the box but they do not have the solenoid built in, they are low beam only meaning the cutoff shield is fixed. If you were to put the Matchbox projectors in your fog lights, you could just clip the solenoid wires since you wouldn't need the high beam function. If I were you, I'd do wire the fogs using your parking lights as the trigger. If you wire them up to your low beams, every time you cycle the high beams, the fogs have to shut off. HID's don't like to be cycled quickly, it burns out the ballast. When I put the Blazers and HID's in my fogs, I did the fog light anytime mod just for that very reason. If you want to get fancy, you could always have the Matchbox high beams hooked up so when you hit your high beams, your fog lights go to high beam also.
All this light retro stuff is over the top. I'm sick of reading forums and looking at images of a finished retro. I ordered my head light parts: DEPA housings, FX-Rs 2.5", 35W, 5000K. I plan to do my first retro on my heads with the BHLM and get first hand experience on this whole underworld. It appears some dudes devote their lives to this. I'm fresh out of surgery and have some time to work on my truck before I heal up.

Anyways, I figure I'll learn a ton on my heads and hopefully get some sweet headlights out of the deal. At this point I am thinking something like this for my fogs: Matchbox wire in the bi-xenon fog highs to a new switch. I already have the fogs anytime but would like the option of having the projector fogs have both the cutoff and highs but at my disposal. My concerns with this mod are: sealing the back of the Matchbox themselves and wether I cut the housings lenses off or not. And aiming them I suppose, but that goes for my headlights too.

The guys on HID Planet do not seem near as crude as most of the posts on TW. Those guys are freaking craftsmen and mount the projector housings for full adjustment. None of this epoxy to the housing and hope for the best b/s.

I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I just want some sweet working lights that don't cost $1,500. Maybe I'll turn into one of these retro geeks in the process...
Old 06-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #22
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhoor View Post
All this light retro stuff is over the top. I'm sick of reading forums and looking at images of a finished retro. I ordered my head light parts: DEPA housings, FX-Rs 2.5", 35W, 5000K. I plan to do my first retro on my heads with the BHLM and get first hand experience on this whole underworld. It appears some dudes devote their lives to this. I'm fresh out of surgery and have some time to work on my truck before I heal up.

Anyways, I figure I'll learn a ton on my heads and hopefully get some sweet headlights out of the deal. At this point I am thinking something like this for my fogs: Matchbox wire in the bi-xenon fog highs to a new switch. I already have the fogs anytime but would like the option of having the projector fogs have both the cutoff and highs but at my disposal. My concerns with this mod are: sealing the back of the Matchbox themselves and wether I cut the housings lenses off or not. And aiming them I suppose, but that goes for my headlights too.

The guys on HID Planet do not seem near as crude as most of the posts on TW. Those guys are freaking craftsmen and mount the projector housings for full adjustment. None of this epoxy to the housing and hope for the best b/s.

I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I just want some sweet working lights that don't cost $1,500. Maybe I'll turn into one of these retro geeks in the process...
Some of us mount them back on the truck pre "lockdown"................some have made jigs iirc.

Its like anything else, some are good enough's, some are perfectionists.

Don't foget to buy some windows weld and ge silicone II while u wait for parts to be delivered. I also suggest welding gloves to handle hot light housings and pulling them apart without hot glue sticking to ur hands and transferring to tools/bench/lenses.

Id also suggest getting a powerball mini to attach to ur drill, and some meguires "plast-x" polish........this will help clean smudges, prints, or any glue from the outside of the lenses and make em look like new again.................. covering the lenses with plastic wrap after they cool will also help keep prints and other crap off......just don't leave it on in the oven or use when lights are hot.

A good way to mount the ballasts without screws or bolts is the pro series extreme velcro strips.....they come in 2 packs at lowes/ace/miners/home depot...... not the "industrial grade" crap that's black.....that crap sucks.

The 1 u want is silver in color
Old 06-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #23
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Some of us mount them back on the truck pre "lockdown"................some have made jigs iirc.

Its like anything else, some are good enough's, some are perfectionists.

Don't foget to buy some windows weld and ge silicone II while u wait for parts to be delivered. I also suggest welding gloves to handle hot light housings and pulling them apart without hot glue sticking to ur hands and transferring to tools/bench/lenses.

Id also suggest getting a powerball mini to attach to ur drill, and some meguires "plast-x" polish........this will help clean smudges, prints, or any glue from the outside of the lenses and make em look like new again.................. covering the lenses with plastic wrap after they cool will also help keep prints and other crap off......just don't leave it on in the oven or use when lights are hot.

A good way to mount the ballasts without screws or bolts is the pro series extreme velcro strips.....they come in 2 packs at lowes/ace/miners/home depot...... not the "industrial grade" crap that's black.....that crap sucks.

The 1 u want is silver in color
Now that is some good advice- thank you for that sir. I have some shopping to do!
Old 06-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #24
Taco Sauce
Yota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of light
Yota Toy's Tacoma Gallery
The Blazers I ordered from TRS were Halogen but I ordered the HID kit at the same time. Mine are still working fantastic! P.S. I don't consider them fog lights, they are auxiliary driving lights.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #25
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota Toy View Post
The Blazers I ordered from TRS were Halogen but I ordered the HID kit at the same time. Mine are still working fantastic! P.S. I don't consider them fog lights, they are auxiliary driving lights.
You know what, you're right! I had completely forgotten that the Blazers came with halogens. I did the same and purchased the TRS HID kit at the same time
Old 06-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #26
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota Toy View Post
Blazers don't seem to be around anymore. I still wonder if a custom mount would allow me to get some FX-Rs in the fogs? I saw a car with that setup (no housing), color matched shroud that looked rad. I'm with you- these are driving lights. The HID Planet guys seem to think the quad FX-R setup is the cat's meow!

Like I said, do my heads first and learn. I'll have a much better idea of how to best tackle the fogs!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #27
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Now that is some good advice- thank you for that sir. I have some shopping to do!
Ur welcome.

Just take ur time.

U should have room to mount ballasts on the side of the back housing once u install the light housings. There's a small flat spot on the inner portion (the sides closest to the grille) iirc, its been a few yrs.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #28
Remember Your ABC's. Always. Be. Cool.
Bsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Brandon
Bsheriff11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Blazers don't seem to be around anymore. I still wonder if a custom mount would allow me to get some FX-Rs in the fogs? I saw a car with that setup (no housing), color matched shroud that looked rad. I'm with you- these are driving lights. The HID Planet guys seem to think the quad FX-R setup is the cat's meow!

Like I said, do my heads first and learn. I'll have a much better idea of how to best tackle the fogs!
Hmmm, I have a set of D2S's with Gatling gun shrouds lying around, I wonder if that could fit in the fog light housing? Anyone know?