Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Hooking up bed lights to door switch

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Hooking up bed lights to door switch

I am sure some where in this forum I could find a thread on it. Has anyone hooked their bed lights up to the door switch so they come on when the door is opened? I can easily go to the battery but prefer that the switch is not always hot.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
You might have a tough time making that work properly. The dome lights in the truck are actually controlled by the ECU, it's not just a simple door switch contact. The light fades out when it turns off also, not just a clean cut off. I wouldn't add more lights to that circuit, which leaves you with using that circuit as a trigger for a relay. The fading out could cause the relay to act up as the power slowly fades away.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking of doing the same thing, but instead installing footwell courtesy lights with ccfl(cold-cathode fluorescent lamps) which dont draw out a whole lot of power(I dont think).

in order to make it work, a relay would have to be installed?

CCFLs are used to light up computer cases, btw. the current draw is not that bad(5ma).

I bought two sets of these from ebay.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:06 AM   #4
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
The rope LEDs do not pull many amps. That and the fact that my Fords with a cargo light were hooked up that way. I am going to go ahead and try it.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stump jumper View Post
I am sure some where in this forum I could find a thread on it. Has anyone hooked their bed lights up to the door switch so they come on when the door is opened? I can easily go to the battery but prefer that the switch is not always hot.
This thread. Please remember that the blue wire is a fading ground.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...der-truck.html
Also, if you change all your interior lighting to LEDs, then your amp draw, even with the LED bed lights should still be lower than stock.
My white 5 meter LED strip light pulls 2 amps.

Products Discussed in this Thread